Having second thoughts on a curved back phone

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Had my Moto X for about a week, really like it so far except for one issue. This is my first phone with a curved back, and while it feels nice to hole, it makes it virtually impossible to use it when it's laid down on a table, it will just spin at the slightest swipe. Of course this is obvious in retrospect, but I was wondering what other folks thought about this who like to sometimes like to use their phone laying flat down. Unfortunately, a lot of the phones have curved backs these days, HTC, LG etc. Samsung has a flat back, but I don't like their phones, the Turbo has a flatter back, but damn, I really like this phone otherwise.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I know its not for everyone but the Otter box Defender minimizes the rocking and spinning when using on a table. I guess any case with a rubberized back might help alleviate the issue.

Another reason I hate the curved back is that it's hard to find a car dock that this phone will sit in nicely. Curved against flat doesn't mix

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I understand your problem and concur to some extent. However, any phone that has a "camera bulge" in the back is subject to the same and/or worst problems when trying to use it laying flat. For example, the iPhone 6 is ruined for use on a flat surface, unless you have a case on it. The Samsung phones suffer the same problems if you don't have a case on them.

I would rather deal with the Moto X (2014) with a curved back but no camera bulge, over the frustration of using the other phones mentioned. One of the things I really like about the Moto X design is the recessed camera.

Last edited:

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I understand your problem and concur to some extent. However, any phone that has a "camera bulge" in the back is subject to the same and/or worst problems when trying to use it laying flat. For example, the iPhone 6 is ruined for use on a flat surface, unless you have a case on it. The Samsung phones suffer the same problems if you don't have a case on them.

I would rather deal with the Moto X (2014) with a curved back but no camera bulge, other the frustration of using the other phones mentioned. One of the things I really like about the Moto X design is the recessed camera.
Good point, I'm coming a Razr M with no camera bulge and a completely flat back, so it will just take some getting used to.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Good point, I'm coming a Razr M with no camera bulge and a completely flat back, so it will just take some getting used to.

I picked up this cheap case, and I've been thrilled with it. It has a basic kickstand that works reasonably OK for both portrait and landscape, and it keeps some of the curve (at the edges) while providing a wide flat surface so the phone sits firmly on a flat surface and doesn't rock at all. It also makes the edges significantly thicker which (in my opinion) makes the phone easier to hold.

It's a hard-plastic-over-rubber case so it feels like it can protect the phone against drops. I've done a couple of drops onto a hard floor (one 4-foot, one 5-foot), both of them landing face-first, and no sign of any issues - though it's really hard to say whether I would have had problems without the case I suspect I probably would have.

For me, it adds some heft I feel the phone needs, respects the ergonomics of the little "M" dimple as a grip point and makes it even more effective, adds a handy-dandy kickstand, and allows me to drop the phone on a table and not have it rock around and skitter about as I try to use it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PWYLUIK/

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for, I'm now trying to see if they make it with just a plain color or clear back, no disrespect to Vincent

reepS

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Evocel has cases make it flat too. I threw a qi charger in one and it works great.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for, I'm now trying to see if they make it with just a plain color or clear back, no disrespect to Vincent

Durocase makes a line of them, so I'm sure you can find one with a plain color back. I've used the company for cases for a few phones, and they are cheap but reasonably well-built and protective cases.

Probably not clear, though, since it has a kickstand and I don't know anyone who makes a clear case with a kickstand, since the mechanicals of the kickstand would show through the plastic (I think this would be cool, actually, but...).

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Looks like this became a case thread, but my useless response to the problem is that, with both the 2013 & 2014 moto Xs, I never found the curved back to be a problem while the phone is on a desk. I would not describe myself as someone with a light touch either. I am glad I don't have to deal with the iPhone's protruding camera, too. Haha.

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to give a quick update, I ended up going with this case:

http://www.amazon.com/DuroCase-Motorola-Moto-Kickstand-Bumper/dp/B00PWYQFOY/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2TVN9999W35N6

The back pattern is not too gaudy, I did not get a custom back, so I did not mind covering it up. It solves the rocking problem when laying it flat on the desk, the kickstand is also very nice, although I wish it had a wider base and maybe a rubberized edge. When using it in portrait mode, if I don't use a light touch, it will sometimes tend to rock & slide, but not too bad. I also like it better than my naked tough clear case, which I found too slippery (as was the naked phone itself). The DuraCase adds a little depth & with the rubberized corners makes it easier to hold & less prone to slip out of your pocket, so far, so good, thanks for the tip Nate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze