Default Dialer Not Sticking/Lollipoop

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I press a phone number link in Chrome. Have Hangouts Dialer installed. Android asks me which dialer, I select "Hangouts Dialer" and "Always". But it doesn't stick. I've cleared cache and reinstalled Hangouts Dialer several times. Still doesn't stick. Ideas?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So you have the Hangouts dialer installed, and when clicking a number it asks you to choose between the stock dialer and that one I'm guessing? Have you tried clearing defaults for both of the apps? I've noticed that in Lollipop, it will often show you a different app than the one you want as default, and changing it will automatically opening the app instead of then allowing you to select it as a one time/always option. You usually have to go back and select "always" again.

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it gives me a choice between Stock and Hangouts Dialer. It gives me a choice, and also the option of once or always. I select always. I've tried clearing both defaults and selecting again. Still asks me every time.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm...and this is only when opening numbers from Chrome? What if it's from a text message or the contacts app?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replys! Just found out it's a known bug! :-( Guess I'm waiting for an upgrade of either Lollipop or the Hangouts Dialer!

Hangouts Dialer As Default Bug - How to prop… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

I see. I don't use Hangouts dialer so it never came up for me. At least now you know to wait for a fix instead of uselessly trying over and over...
Hopefully it's fixed soon. Lots of small bugs here and there in Lollipop for some people it seems. I've had only the calculator bug which is fixed now.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.2