quick chargers.....trying the tenergy but not sure its any faster?

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Moto X, and last month I bought the Tenergy 2.0 qualcomm cable charger. I just dont know if its really charging any faster. It had great reviews, but I dont see this blazing fast charging I was expecting. Does anyone have a time comparison between quick charging and the regular stock charger? Or is there an app that I can see voltage or whatever it is that changes between the 2 chargers to actually compare? Plugged in a dead phone (1%) and it took over an hour to charge to 70%. Normal? The green light is on when I used the charger which is what the package says itll do when in quick charge mode.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The normal fastest charge you should EVER use on a lithium battery is 1C - 1 times the capacity of the battery. Considering that energy conversion (you're converting electrical energy from the charger into chemical energy in the battery) is never 100% efficient (it's about 70% in a phone battery), it should take about 1.3 hours to charge the phone from 1% to 100%. That's not good for the battery's lifespan, though. Charging should be kept to 0.75C or less.

Another thing that's not good for the lifespan of lithium batteries is letting them get below 40% charge. Charging at the 50% point gives you the longest life, but 40% won't shorten the life too much. Regularly discharging it down to 1% will give you a battery life of about 6 months. Considering that the battery is not user replaceable (which means that the battery itself is more expensive, AND you have to pay for labor to have it replaced), shortening the lifespan is probably something you don't want to to.

(Quick charging does 2 things - it's a marketing gimmick and it increases the profits of battery companies.)

walrusmonarch

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a turbo charger and the few times I have used it, it has taken my X from around 10% to full in about 1.5 hours. The charger that came with the phone usually takes closer to 2 hours. The point I think of these turbo chargers is faster charging when you phone is below about 60%. These chargers can charge the phone at higher voltages (upto 12V I think) and lower currents (around 1.2A) when the phone is at a low charge and decrease back to about 5V and 1.6A when your phone's charge gets to be above 60%. So the speed increase that you will notice is when your phone is at a much lower charge. I have found it to be a bit faster, not blazing fast of course, but a bit faster nonetheless.

You can try the app: Ampere, to see the value of the current.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The normal fastest charge you should EVER use on a lithium battery is 1C - 1 times the capacity of the battery. Considering that energy conversion (you're converting electrical energy from the charger into chemical energy in the battery) is never 100% efficient (it's about 70% in a phone battery), it should take about 1.3 hours to charge the phone from 1% to 100%. That's not good for the battery's lifespan, though. Charging should be kept to 0.75C or less.

Another thing that's not good for the lifespan of lithium batteries is letting them get below 40% charge. Charging at the 50% point gives you the longest life, but 40% won't shorten the life too much. Regularly discharging it down to 1% will give you a battery life of about 6 months. Considering that the battery is not user replaceable (which means that the battery itself is more expensive, AND you have to pay for labor to have it replaced), shortening the lifespan is probably something you don't want to to.

(Quick charging does 2 things - it's a marketing gimmick and it increases the profits of battery companies.)

If the battery goes bad in 6 months Motorola would have to replace it under warrantee.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the turbo charger on the kitchen counter by my keys for quick charges in the house. I also have a Pure Gear QC2.0 compatible charger for my car. Basically covering the two main places I'd need to get a quick battery boost.

Charging your battery very fast all the time can be bad for the battery. You may see the battery wear out faster if you use the turbo charger EVERY time you charge the phone. You also don't want to constantly drain the battery to 1%. Most of the time at 20% you aren't damaging the battery by going too low. For overnight charges I would recommend sticking with the charger that came with the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781