Slow home redraws

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to restate what others have said about their home screens re-drawing slowly after upgrading to Lollipop.. A cache format completely fixed this issue for me, as it has for others. I hope 5.0.2/5.1 eliminates the need to do cache formats though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Will6371

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I updated my phone to lollipop to see what it was like before I get it replaced under warranty(speaker grille fell out) and I did a full wipe before and after the update and I have had no problems with except battery over night lost 1.2% per hour with most of it going to WiFi and cellular, only 4% was apps.

I don't have any redraws or apps getting killed in the background, the phone is as smooth and fast as it was on 4.4.4 and the screen on time seems to be around the same at around 6-7 hours(no gaming)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just to restate what others have said about their home screens re-drawing slowly after upgrading to Lollipop.. A cache format completely fixed this issue for me, as it has for others. I hope 5.0.2/5.1 eliminates the need to do cache formats though.

What I did was I powered phone off, got into boot loader mode, cleared the cache. Is this what you also did?this fixed your home screen redraws in 5.0 lollipop? I get home screen redraws every bow and them hit they don't last long Mensing the phone is quick as hell to recover from them, and they're not intrusive or annoying to me. Just curious as to he you permanently fixed the issue.

Sent from my custom 2nd Gen Moto X built by moto maker running lollipop 5.0

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Bit into recovery mode, then format cache.. Yes, made my home screen redraw issues go away, at least for now. Hopefully will improve battery life too.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Bit into recovery mode, then format cache.. Yes, made my home screen redraw issues go away, at least for now. Hopefully will improve battery life too.

Scene of some of the interesting thing is the first time I did to clear cache in bootloader mode, it didn't work, I did it a second time tonight and then I went into developer options and cleared and check out the box for no background processse I want to see what that does.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I installed the VZW 5.0 on a newly delivered unit and then did a factory reset. Running Nova I get occasional redraw lag. I have to assume that whatever causes the redraw issue can recur even after clearing the cache given that it occurs on a factory-reset install on a virgin device. My guess is clearing the cache will provide some respite, but the problem will ultimately recur. Would be quite happy to be proven wrong. Hope an update fixes this.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I installed the VZW 5.0 on a newly delivered unit and then did a factory reset. Running Nova I get occasional redraw lag. I have to assume that whatever causes the redraw issue can recur even after clearing the cache given that it occurs on a factory-reset install on a virgin device. My guess is clearing the cache will provide some respite, but the problem will ultimately recur. Would be quite happy to be proven wrong. Hope an update fixes this.
Like I said, I went into settings developer options and shut off that no processes running in background option. I wonder if that would help at all. My home screen reader why she was not that big of a deal anyway so not too too concerned about it much so well.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a 5.0 memory issue, nothing you can do except reboot your phone every couple of days.
Well then, I'm guessing I should be having that might want to be annoying intrusive and issue. Lol.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Rebooting wasn't helping with the redraw problem (for me).. Only a cache format did the trick.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Rebooting wasn't helping with the redraw problem (for me).. Only a cache format did the trick.

And when I do the cache cleaning the first time, that didn't help me. That's why I'm asking everyones help in this thread. Wireless thing what you guys did if you had a stronger more prevalent issue with Android 5.0 lollipop on your 2nd gen Moto X.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I remember having some redraws in my Moto G, but it was with kitkat. They stopped after lollipop. I found different things that reduced that and maybe could work for you.

Most redraws happened when closing Chrome. Closing all the tabs and unchecking the "save data usage" option helped. Clearing the app cache from time to time reduced redraws as well. This also worked with Flipboard (another cache eater).

When using Nova you can check the "aggressive desktop" option. See if that helps.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I remember having some redraws in my Moto G, but it was with kitkat. They stopped after lollipop. I found different things that reduced that and maybe could work for you.

Most redraws happened when closing Chrome. Closing all the tabs and unchecking the "save data usage" option helped. Clearing the app cache from time to time reduced redraws as well. This also worked with Flipboard (another cache eater).

When using Nova you can check the "aggressive desktop" option. See if that helps.
Mmmm interesting.