Moto X 2014 pure edition

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: New soak test invites for Moto X 2014 pure edition going out

Wow, apparently I pissed someone off at moto. This would mark the first time I've ever taken the survey, got told at the end that I'd likely be included in the test, and then got totally left out of the test. Ouch. Why do I get the feeling this has to do with the fact that I was one of the PE phone owners that was accidentally included in the AT&T Moto X 2nd Gen 5.0.2 soak test? Before anyone mentions it: I could care less at this point about the NDA. I'll likely opt out of the MFN after the mess they've been making lately, and this may be my last Moto phone for a long while. Bad experiences with Moto customer service (husband got a brand new PE Moto X 2nd Gen through the Moto Maker that had to be replaced right away, and getting that done was harder than it should have been!) and now the MFN seems to be either a joke (a 1 day soak test for the AT&T Moto X 2nd gen? Are you serious?) or a mess. You can tell that Moto is being run by Lenovo now, and it's sad.

I suppose if they push the update almost as fast as they did the AT&T 5.0.2 update, the rest of us whom they deemed unworthy for this soak won't have long to wait (I'd rather it sooner, only because I'm sick of the bleepin' memory leak issue in 5.0 -- waiting a few seconds for my entire launcher to re-draw after exiting an app is getting really annoying)

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

You can tell that Moto is being run by Lenovo now, and it's sad.
I am not sure this has anything to do with Lenovo. I've had Moto phones since the original Star-Tac. I like the hardware, especially the radio/antenna system.

But their software has always been a mess. And while it was a great idea to dial it back in the Moto X, in favor of a more vanilla Android, it took them almost a year (4.4.4) to get their minor software additions ironed out.

Customer service has always been pretty clueless (like they haven't even used the devices they are supporting), but if you persist to get to the right person, they have always done right by me (which is a lot better than what i have experienced with samsung and lg).

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I am not sure this has anything to do with Lenovo. I've had Moto phones since the original Star-Tac. I like the hardware, especially the radio/antenna system.

But their software has always been a mess. And while it was a great idea to dial it back in the Moto X, in favor of a more vanilla Android, it took them almost a year (4.4.4) to get their minor software additions ironed out.

Customer service has always been pretty clueless (like they haven't even used the devices they are supporting), but if you persist to get to the right person, they have always done right by me (which is a lot better than what i have experienced with samsung and lg).

I suppose that's true. Prior to the issue with my husband's new Moto X, I hadn't had to deal with their customer service much. They failed on 2 levels, though: 1) just getting them to allow him to replace the phone took some convincing, and then, when they gave him a moto maker code, they failed to tell him that it wouldn't include his custom leather back. Another phone call led to that information and the promise that he'd be refunded the extra $25 for the replacement phone after they received his original. Well, they DID give the refund, but it was actually for somewhere around 5 cents less than he paid out for the replacement. It really peeved me, but we didn't bother trying to get it fixed after the original headaches. It just didn't seem worth the time to call them and go back and forth over a few cents, but in principle, we should have.

I had such a fantastic experience with the original Moto X that I guess I was spoiled. I participated in several software soaks with that phone, and each time was a consistently good experience. These last 2 with the 2014 moto x make their testing team seem completely incompetent. The ambiguous invite to the AT&T soak (when I have a Pure Edition) which turned out to be THEIR error, and now being snubbed for the real soak for the Pure Edition for 5.1 just leaves an awfully sour taste with me.

The reason I blame Lenovo is that it's pretty much the only thing that has changed since I last participated in a soak test for the 2013 Moto X. Could it be I've just been lucky up until now? I guess so! Perhaps it's time to try out the Z3 compact (though the thought of staying on 5.0.x any longer with the memory leak issue makes me cringe!)

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps. But I remember hearing of a number of horror stories well before the Lenovo acquisition. And while I like Sony, I have never seen them as the pinnacle of support either. Plus, they're hemorrhaging cash so who knows how long they'll still be in the phone biz.

Nicolly05

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

I suppose that's true. Prior to the issue with my husband's new Moto X, I hadn't had to deal with their customer service much. They failed on 2 levels, though: 1) just getting them to allow him to replace the phone took some convincing, and then, when they gave him a moto maker code, they failed to tell him that it wouldn't include his custom leather back. Another phone call led to that information and the promise that he'd be refunded the extra $25 for the replacement phone after they received his original. Well, they DID give the refund, but it was actually for somewhere around 5 cents less than he paid out for the replacement. It really peeved me, but we didn't bother trying to get it fixed after the original headaches. It just didn't seem worth the time to call them and go back and forth over a few cents, but in principle, we should have.

I had such a fantastic experience with the original Moto X that I guess I was spoiled. I participated in several software soaks with that phone, and each time was a consistently good experience. These last 2 with the 2014 moto x make their testing team seem completely incompetent. The ambiguous invite to the AT&T soak (when I have a Pure Edition) which turned out to be THEIR error, and now being snubbed for the real soak for the Pure Edition for 5.1 just leaves an awfully sour taste with me.

The reason I blame Lenovo is that it's pretty much the only thing that has changed since I last participated in a soak test for the 2013 Moto X. Could it be I've just been lucky up until now? I guess so! Perhaps it's time to try out the Z3 compact (though the thought of staying on 5.0.x any longer with the memory leak issue makes me cringe!)

Not to take up for Motorola in the slightest, but if you check out the moto x forum on Reddit a lot of people who took the survey and were told they were approved to participate never got a follow up email for the soak. I've only seen one person actually say they got the update from Motorola. The rest of them installed the leaked file.

I will say the refund department's customer service sucks. It took 39 days for them to refund me $40 because my Valentine's promo code didn't work. Other than that I haven't had any issues with them.

Posted via the Android Central App

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Not to take up for Motorola in the slightest, but if you check out the moto x forum on Reddit a lot of people who took the survey and were told they were approved to participate never got a follow up email for the soak. I've only seen one person actually say they got the update from Motorola. The rest of them installed the leaked file.

I will say the refund department's customer service sucks. It took 39 days for them to refund me $40 because my Valentine's promo code didn't work. Other than that I haven't had any issues with them.

The refund department took about that much time to refund me for the unused portion of my motocare insurance plan

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

That's very interesting information. I rarely read the reddit forums unless I'm looking for something specific, so I would have missed that. I suppose I'm glad to know that they left a lot of folks out of the test, then. Perhaps things have changed significantly in the way they do their soak tests (again... I would tend to blame Lenovo for this).

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Anyone know if we will need to revert back to 5.0 to get the official 5.1 build when it rolls out if you insatlled the leaked soak test file? Seems like no one knows.

You should not have to roll back, unless it's a different version then the one they are going to push as the production version. At least that is what I've heard, but if you are really worried about it... then.