anyone buy a used carrier specific Moto X gen 2 from eBay?

ddorbuck

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, ok so i have owned tons of cell phones through my tech life but never purchased a used device from eBay or one of the other countless used cell phone vendors. I have a gen 1 moto x and my 2 year contract is up in november 2015. I have been thinking on swapping it for a new or in this case used ebay sellers att Moto x gen 2 device. I know swapping the sim is pretty much all i need to do but will AT&T hit me with an activation fee or is that only for new phone purchase? Im also curious on the firmware version since I'm not sure the seller I am looking at is on lollypop and not on one the older 4.4.4. I assume I will also be in the same boat as any other gen 2 ATT moto X owner who does not have a pure edition waiting on AT&T to push the lollypop update like any other att gen 2 moto x customer? The used phone is carrier locked to AT&T but according to the description has a new AT&T sim ready to activate. Sorry for the newbie type questions but obviously i don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks. Doug

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
No activation fee. I switch my phone around every few days between my different phones and they never say anything. They even give you Sims for free in the store

Posted via the Android Central App

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered one from digicircle. Have had good luck with them in the past. If u can do without the latest phones, buying a used phone that has been out for six months or more is a great way to save a lot of money, and stay away from those nasty two year contracts.

Nicolly05

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
AT&T Moto X 2014's should be on Lollipop 5.0.2 if I recall correctly. Unless the previous owner decided to stay on Kit Kat. As far as buying used phones I've heard Swappa is a great page and also they offer a little more buyers protection than Ebay.

If you have the option in your budget I would recommend you go for the Pure "T-Mobile" Edition 2014 Moto X. It has NO carrier bloatware, just stock Android with Moto features added in. It's the same as the AT&T model where you can just pop your SIM in and use it with no problems. NO activation fees.

Posted via the Android Central App

ddorbuck

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
hi, I just wanted to update this thread that i did purchase a used "pure" edition 2014 moto x 32 gig from ebay. The phone was flawless and after a full system restore to factory battery has been good. It has android 5.0 on it and i wait for 5.1.x like everyone else now.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Verizon moto x from off of swappa. It's been great. I have an iPhone 6 plus as well but love Android and really liked the Moto X 2013. The 2014 is great. Camera is still not up to par but it's better than the 2013. Still an almost perfect phone in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith