Moto X 2014 on Cricket?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, very strongly considering getting a pure with the latest promotion. Is anyone currently using this phone on Cricket? If so can you share your thoughts and impressions on the network and Moto's interface with it?

Dillagence

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Using a Verizon branded 2014 X on Cricket. I'm getting LTE with no issues whatsoever. Mobile tethering/hotspot works as well. Some minor annoyances are the Verizon bloatware still on it and their "custom" 4G LTE logo in the status bar. Other than that, coming from an iPhone, I am extremely impressed with Lollipop.

kenpbuck

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I am using a Pure Edition on Cricket. Works great, virtually no setup. Tethering will work as Cricket blocks it via the phones they sell, not the network.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Pure Edition on Cricket. Works great. TMo just expanded LTE here so may be switching. Download speeds are capped at about 8mbs but not always that high. I signed up for the 20gig/mo plan for $55 unlimited text and talk. Figure I'll give TMo a shot and see which is better. Really happy with cricket, would prefer sightly faster speeds and priority network access.

Posted via the Android Central App on my 5.1 X Pure

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am using a Pure Edition on Cricket. Works great, virtually no setup. Tethering will work as Cricket blocks it via the phones they sell, not the network.

Kool, what app are you using to Tether, and wireless or Wired ?? If you have the set up process, and you could guide, be good to know, I don't use it that often, but would be good as a backup if needed.

Mine is not a pure edition, but I'm on an AT&T version of the Moto X

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Just use the built in feature for android. Makes a Wi-Fi hot spot.

I've tried that on my MotoX from AT&T, I set up the WiFi Hotspot username and password, save it, then I click on Portable WiFi Hotspot to enable and then it says cannot connect to the AT&T servers ?? Says cannot check the subscription, am I missing something here ??

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Pure edition X on Cricket here. Works perfect, I can tether with Android's built-in feature without any fuss. I downloaded Cricket Visual Voicemail app that comes preloaded on Cricket phones, and that works as well.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Pure edition X on Cricket here. Works perfect, I can tether with Android's built-in feature without any fuss. I downloaded Cricket Visual Voicemail app that comes preloaded on Cricket phones, and that works as well.

Do you have a tethering plan ??

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
No. I just have the 5GB of data plan for $50/month. No extra tethering features added.

OK, are you using the built in feature ?? and if yes, is your device an AT&T Phone ?? If yes, can you explain how you got it working, my guess is you are most likely rooted ??

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, are you using the built in feature ?? and if yes, is your device an AT&T Phone ?? If yes, can you explain how you got it working, my guess is you are most likely rooted ??

Yes I'm using the built in feature on Android 5.0. I tap on the Hotspot icon from the pulldown settings menu.
I'm not using an AT&T phone per-se... It's just the Moto X (2014) pure edition. XT1095. I'm on Cricket. Cricket uses AT&T's network but my device shows "cricket" as the network just fine.

The device isn't rooted, but perhaps my setup is atypical:
I never activated the device through Cricket, I just popped in the SIM from my old device into this one and took off running.
Also, when 5.0 hit and my device wasn't getting the OTA update as fast as I wanted, I decided to just manually update the phone. I did that without rooting or using any SDK's on my computer. I just put a ZIP of the update on the phone's root storage, and "Installed update from SD card" using the phones menu via booting into a different boot menu by holding down some buttons. Just two steps really.

Right now my system version is: 22.21.11.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US

And just to reiterate, I didn't have to do anything special to get the hotspot feature working. I tap it and it works. All I did was setup a password.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes I'm using the built in feature on Android 5.0. I tap on the Hotspot icon from the pulldown settings menu.
I'm not using an AT&T phone per-se... It's just the Moto X (2014) pure edition. XT1095. I'm on Cricket. Cricket uses AT&T's network but my device shows "cricket" as the network just fine.

The device isn't rooted, but perhaps my setup is atypical:
I never activated the device through Cricket, I just popped in the SIM from my old device into this one and took off running.
Also, when 5.0 hit and my device wasn't getting the OTA update as fast as I wanted, I decided to just manually update the phone. I did that without rooting or using any SDK's on my computer. I just put a ZIP of the update on the phone's root storage, and "Installed update from SD card" using the phones menu via booting into a different boot menu by holding down some buttons. Just two steps really.

Right now my system version is: 22.21.11.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US

And just to reiterate, I didn't have to do anything special to get the hotspot feature working. I tap it and it works. All I did was setup a password.

That is the reason why, my phone is an AT&T phone and therefore if I click on the Hotspot, it searches for an active account with AT&T.

stuffnstuff

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
For those that have the Moto X (2014) Pure Edition working on Cricket Wireless, is the download speed 4G (up to 8 Mbps) or 3G (1.7 Mbps)? When I entered the IMEI of my Moto X Pure Edition, Cricket said it would work with 3G speeds, and made no mention of 4G. I just would like to know the actual experience of customers that are using the phone on Cricket's network.

Untitled-1.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad