Moto X 2014 on Cricket?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! Great to hear. I'm going for Cricket's Smart plan, $50/mo ($45/mo) with 5GB 4G data.

To get LTE you'll need to manually enter Cricket's APN settings. They are on Cricket's website and it takes about 2 minutes. Very happy Cricket customer. Signal is great everywhere and the 8mbps limit doesn't bother me. Query, however, that I've noticed that I get band 17 exclusively and no other AT&T bands. I wonder if the 8mpbs limit isn't so much a download limiter, but a lte band restriction? Band 17 is 700 mhz which generally means lower speeds than a higher bandwidth.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To get LTE you'll need to manually enter Cricket's APN settings. They are on Cricket's website and it takes about 2 minutes.

I got LTE with my X 2014 on Cricket, but I didn't have to do this. Was it because I already had an account and another phone getting LTE and just did a SIM swap?

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
To get LTE you'll need to manually enter Cricket's APN settings. They are on Cricket's website and it takes about 2 minutes. Very happy Cricket customer. Signal is great everywhere and the 8mbps limit doesn't bother me. Query, however, that I've noticed that I get band 17 exclusively and no other AT&T bands. I wonder if the 8mpbs limit isn't so much a download limiter, but a lte band restriction? Band 17 is 700 mhz which generally means lower speeds than a higher bandwidth.

Cricket limits bandwidth to 8Mb/sec.
Think band 4 isn't possible with Moto X 2014. Lacking the hardware.
Active bands on Moto X 2014 is weird, was even weirder.
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d766a5d90a
"...That is accurate -- and I said that we're adding Bands 3, 5 and 7 but not Band 12, as you know...."

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Cricket limits bandwidth to 8Mb/sec.
Think band 4 isn't possible with Moto X 2014. Lacking the hardware.
Active bands on Moto X 2014 is weird, was even weirder.
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d766a5d90a
"...That is accurate -- and I said that we're adding Bands 3, 5 and 7 but not Band 12, as you know...."

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was referring to when I said "active" bands. By active, I mean the band or bands the phone is ACTUALLY using at any given time, not the bands that the phone has enabled. I've only seen band 17 used on cricket so far. Maybe that's because AT&T only uses band 17 in my area at the present time, or maybe its because AT&T restricts cricket to band 17. There are several apps available that can help you determine which band your phone is using.

Also, band 4 was available from the beginning on the XT 1095. You are correct in that 3, 5, and 7 were added later via OTA.

Moto X Pure Edition (XT1095) may soon get more LTE bands | Android Central

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was referring to when I said "active" bands. ........
Also, band 4 was available from the beginning on the XT 1095. You are correct in that 3, 5, and 7 were added later via OTA.

Moto X Pure Edition (XT1095) may soon get more LTE bands | Android Central

Ha, your so correct.
It's band 12 that won't/can't be enabled./per that thread at Moto.
It's a looong thread.
my bad.

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

ElronTheElder said:

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Thanks for your feedback on this topic, and your patience. We're now planning to enable Bands 3, 5 and 7 on the Moto X Pure, via a software update. I can't confirm the timing right now, but I'll share more about that when I know more.

(If you have not already, this is probably a good time to urge everyone to opt-in their Moto X 2nd Gen to the Motorola Feedback Network!)
View original
Matt,

Great news.

What about band 12 ?
View original
Band 12 was not discussed. I can ask.
View original
Band 12 won't be supported by Moto X Pure.

Edward Boothman

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the Moto X Pure Edition 2015 and Cricket Hotspot is blocked. I added as a BYOD which I did with a prior Sony which the hotspot worked but now the BYOD Hotspot is being blocked and is a non cricket device. Cricket must of made changes and now blocking BYOD devices even if purchased as a global non carrier branded device.

Any help here would be great to have my hotspot work..

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What indications are you getting that it's blocked (i.e. just doesn't work, a message telling you it's blocked)? I just checked my new 2014 Moto X on Cricket and hotspot works fine. I tested it with a Wifi-only Nexus 7, if that makes a difference. Did you add 'dun' to the APN type?

adumesny

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The device isn't rooted, but perhaps my setup is atypical:
I never activated the device through Cricket, I just popped in the SIM from my old device into this one and took off running.
Also, when 5.0 hit and my device wasn't getting the OTA update as fast as I wanted, I decided to just manually update the phone. I did that without rooting or using any SDK's on my computer. I just put a ZIP of the update on the phone's root storage, and "Installed update from SD card" using the phones menu via booting into a different boot menu by holding down some buttons. Just two steps really.

Right now my system version is: 22.21.11.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US

The key might have been that you had a pure phone and updated to a non ATT/Cricket ROM OTA so you never got their software that checks for permission for tethering ?

I noticed my Moto X1 (2013) asking for ATT hostpot I think it started after I upgraded to 5.1 OTA (from 4.4.4) when I was there - which always granted as it's included, and now that I'm on Cricket it fails as I don't pay extra for it :(

adumesny

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased the Moto X Pure Edition 2015 and Cricket Hotspot is blocked.

That's really worrisome. A pure neutral device shouldn't have Cricket/ATT check restrictions. Did you fidn a solution (short of paying up to $50+10 plan ?)

From what I read the Nexus don't have that issue. I really want my next phone to be vendor neutral and really pure without vendor software restriction. Moto X3 (2015) is too big and I was hoping the X2 pure or Verizon might do, else nexus...

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I just checked again and my WiFi-only Nexus 7 is able to browse using chrome while tethered to my 2014 Moto X; there's no apparent blocking or restrictions.

The fact that it works may have to do with the Nexus 7 also being an Android device though. Issuing a device with a non-mobile user agent may not work.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have Cricket.

No activation required, just pop in their SIM and you're ready to go.
Free tethering, you don't have to pay separately for it.
8 Mbps download, fast enough for 1080p streaming if you want to use all your data in a couple hours.
Great service, uses the same towers as AT&T.

adumesny

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
UncleMike, Geodude074,
what OS version are you running on X 2014 and most importantly what flavor of the phone is that (pure, or AT&T, or ???)
As I mentioned above, my X1 2013 was AT&T branded (now unlocked) and checks for tethering plan so it won't enable unless I pay extra on Cricket.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
UncleMike, Geodude074,
what OS version are you running on X 2014 and most importantly what flavor of the phone is that (pure, or AT&T, or ???)
As I mentioned above, my X1 2013 was AT&T branded (now unlocked) and checks for tethering plan so it won't enable unless I pay extra on Cricket.
I'm using the XT1095 (pure) with Android 5.1. Tethering also worked with my XT1053 (unlocked) with Android 5.1 (and previous versions).

adumesny

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the XT1095 (pure) with Android 5.1. Tethering also worked with my XT1053 (unlocked) with Android 5.1 (and previous versions).

ok so both are T-mobile version, which is probably why they never checked for tethering. My old Moto X1 AT&T did check for tethering under 5.1 (maybe even 4.4.4, can't recall now) so it continues to do so under Cricket even unlocked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane