12-27-2015 05:16 PM
37 12
tools
    Hey everyone, very strongly considering getting a pure with the latest promotion. Is anyone currently using this phone on Cricket? If so can you share your thoughts and impressions on the network and Moto's interface with it?
    04-02-2015 08:13 AM
    Using a Verizon branded 2014 X on Cricket. I'm getting LTE with no issues whatsoever. Mobile tethering/hotspot works as well. Some minor annoyances are the Verizon bloatware still on it and their "custom" 4G LTE logo in the status bar. Other than that, coming from an iPhone, I am extremely impressed with Lollipop.
    04-02-2015 10:08 AM
    Wow that's interesting you get lte with a Verizon phone. I thought cricket uses AT&T lte network?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 10:48 AM
    Your able to tether, I'd like to hear how you are doing that on Cricket ??
    04-04-2015 07:51 AM
    I am using a Pure Edition on Cricket. Works great, virtually no setup. Tethering will work as Cricket blocks it via the phones they sell, not the network.
    04-04-2015 01:35 PM
    Pure Edition on Cricket. Works great. TMo just expanded LTE here so may be switching. Download speeds are capped at about 8mbs but not always that high. I signed up for the 20gig/mo plan for $55 unlimited text and talk. Figure I'll give TMo a shot and see which is better. Really happy with cricket, would prefer sightly faster speeds and priority network access.

Posted via the Android Central App on my 5.1 X Pure
    04-05-2015 01:17 AM
    I am using a Pure Edition on Cricket. Works great, virtually no setup. Tethering will work as Cricket blocks it via the phones they sell, not the network.
    Kool, what app are you using to Tether, and wireless or Wired ?? If you have the set up process, and you could guide, be good to know, I don't use it that often, but would be good as a backup if needed.

Mine is not a pure edition, but I'm on an AT&T version of the Moto X
    04-05-2015 07:32 AM
    Just use the built in feature for android. Makes a Wi-Fi hot spot.
    04-05-2015 12:38 PM
    Just use the built in feature for android. Makes a Wi-Fi hot spot.
    I've tried that on my MotoX from AT&T, I set up the WiFi Hotspot username and password, save it, then I click on Portable WiFi Hotspot to enable and then it says cannot connect to the AT&T servers ?? Says cannot check the subscription, am I missing something here ??
    04-06-2015 06:28 AM
    Do you have a data plan that includes tethering?
    04-06-2015 09:28 AM
    Pure edition X on Cricket here. Works perfect, I can tether with Android's built-in feature without any fuss. I downloaded Cricket Visual Voicemail app that comes preloaded on Cricket phones, and that works as well.
    04-06-2015 11:17 AM
    Pure edition X on Cricket here. Works perfect, I can tether with Android's built-in feature without any fuss. I downloaded Cricket Visual Voicemail app that comes preloaded on Cricket phones, and that works as well.
    Do you have a tethering plan ??
    04-07-2015 06:14 AM
    Do you have a data plan that includes tethering?
    No I do not, and I'm assuming the other 2 don't either, thus why I was asking
    04-07-2015 06:14 AM
    Do you have a tethering plan ??
    No. I just have the 5GB of data plan for $50/month. No extra tethering features added.
    04-07-2015 09:59 AM
    There's your problem then. Cell your carrier to activate that feature
    04-07-2015 02:18 PM
    No. I just have the 5GB of data plan for $50/month. No extra tethering features added.
    OK, are you using the built in feature ?? and if yes, is your device an AT&T Phone ?? If yes, can you explain how you got it working, my guess is you are most likely rooted ??
    04-08-2015 05:20 AM
    There's your problem then. Cell your carrier to activate that feature
    He just said he is not paying for added tethering and he has it working.
    04-08-2015 05:21 AM
    OK, are you using the built in feature ?? and if yes, is your device an AT&T Phone ?? If yes, can you explain how you got it working, my guess is you are most likely rooted ??
    Yes I'm using the built in feature on Android 5.0. I tap on the Hotspot icon from the pulldown settings menu.
    I'm not using an AT&T phone per-se... It's just the Moto X (2014) pure edition. XT1095. I'm on Cricket. Cricket uses AT&T's network but my device shows "cricket" as the network just fine.

The device isn't rooted, but perhaps my setup is atypical:
    I never activated the device through Cricket, I just popped in the SIM from my old device into this one and took off running.
    Also, when 5.0 hit and my device wasn't getting the OTA update as fast as I wanted, I decided to just manually update the phone. I did that without rooting or using any SDK's on my computer. I just put a ZIP of the update on the phone's root storage, and "Installed update from SD card" using the phones menu via booting into a different boot menu by holding down some buttons. Just two steps really.

Right now my system version is: 22.21.11.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US

And just to reiterate, I didn't have to do anything special to get the hotspot feature working. I tap it and it works. All I did was setup a password.
    04-08-2015 09:42 AM
    Yes I'm using the built in feature on Android 5.0. I tap on the Hotspot icon from the pulldown settings menu.
    I'm not using an AT&T phone per-se... It's just the Moto X (2014) pure edition. XT1095. I'm on Cricket. Cricket uses AT&T's network but my device shows "cricket" as the network just fine.

The device isn't rooted, but perhaps my setup is atypical:
    I never activated the device through Cricket, I just popped in the SIM from my old device into this one and took off running.
    Also, when 5.0 hit and my device wasn't getting the OTA update as fast as I wanted, I decided to just manually update the phone. I did that without rooting or using any SDK's on my computer. I just put a ZIP of the update on the phone's root storage, and "Installed update from SD card" using the phones menu via booting into a different boot menu by holding down some buttons. Just two steps really.

Right now my system version is: 22.21.11.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US

And just to reiterate, I didn't have to do anything special to get the hotspot feature working. I tap it and it works. All I did was setup a password.
    That is the reason why, my phone is an AT&T phone and therefore if I click on the Hotspot, it searches for an active account with AT&T.
    04-09-2015 05:33 AM
    For those that have the Moto X (2014) Pure Edition working on Cricket Wireless, is the download speed 4G (up to 8 Mbps) or 3G (1.7 Mbps)? When I entered the IMEI of my Moto X Pure Edition, Cricket said it would work with 3G speeds, and made no mention of 4G. I just would like to know the actual experience of customers that are using the phone on Cricket's network.

Moto X 2014 on Cricket?-untitled-1.jpg
    05-25-2015 02:47 PM
    Pure Edition 4G works fine on Cricket. LTE is active nearly all the time for me.
    05-25-2015 04:33 PM
    Pure Edition 4G works fine on Cricket. LTE is active nearly all the time for me.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Great to hear. I'm going for Cricket's Smart plan, $50/mo ($45/mo) with 5GB 4G data.
    05-25-2015 05:22 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply! Great to hear. I'm going for Cricket's Smart plan, $50/mo ($45/mo) with 5GB 4G data.
    To get LTE you'll need to manually enter Cricket's APN settings. They are on Cricket's website and it takes about 2 minutes. Very happy Cricket customer. Signal is great everywhere and the 8mbps limit doesn't bother me. Query, however, that I've noticed that I get band 17 exclusively and no other AT&T bands. I wonder if the 8mpbs limit isn't so much a download limiter, but a lte band restriction? Band 17 is 700 mhz which generally means lower speeds than a higher bandwidth.
    05-26-2015 10:47 AM
    To get LTE you'll need to manually enter Cricket's APN settings. They are on Cricket's website and it takes about 2 minutes.
    I got LTE with my X 2014 on Cricket, but I didn't have to do this. Was it because I already had an account and another phone getting LTE and just did a SIM swap?
    05-26-2015 11:03 AM
    To get LTE you'll need to manually enter Cricket's APN settings. They are on Cricket's website and it takes about 2 minutes. Very happy Cricket customer. Signal is great everywhere and the 8mbps limit doesn't bother me. Query, however, that I've noticed that I get band 17 exclusively and no other AT&T bands. I wonder if the 8mpbs limit isn't so much a download limiter, but a lte band restriction? Band 17 is 700 mhz which generally means lower speeds than a higher bandwidth.
    Cricket limits bandwidth to 8Mb/sec.
    Think band 4 isn't possible with Moto X 2014. Lacking the hardware.
    Active bands on Moto X 2014 is weird, was even weirder.
    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d766a5d90a
    "...That is accurate -- and I said that we're adding Bands 3, 5 and 7 but not Band 12, as you know...."
    Lucy True Blue likes this.
    05-27-2015 07:12 AM
37 12