Invert colors toggle suddenly appeared

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Today I noticed that the Invert colors toggle appeared in my quick settings. I don't think I accidentally pressed anything. I removed it by setting the date back and month then toggling and untoggling it. Lastly I set the date back to automatic.

Has this happened to anyone? Is it a 5.0 bug?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ha! After reading your post got curious and opened my quick settings. And the same toggle was there! It wasn't this morning because I switched airplane mode off, and now it's in a different place.

The only thing I remember updating today was Google +. I checked the Play services and still same version. I'll try to find something else about that.

Attachments

• 183489.jpg
    183489.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 122

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Ha! After reading your post got curious and opened my quick settings. And the same toggle was there! It wasn't this morning because I switched airplane mode off, and now it's in a different place.

The only thing I remember updating today was Google +. I checked the Play services and still same version. I'll try to find something else about that.

Funny. I had my phone in Airplane mode today for a while. Noticed the toggle just a little while ago. I recall just upgrading Chrome this morning.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It appeared for me too. I got rid of it by setting my date back a month, toggling inverse colors on and off, then setting it back to the correct date. I found this solution on a CNET article that came up through a Google search.

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It happened the same with my wife's Moto G. She always updates the apps manually and there was a big queue in the Play Store. So I think there's nothing to do with a third party app. Maybe Google or Motorola pushing something under the hood.

By the way, I forgot to mention. I've got a Moto G as well.

That trick works because some Toggles are automatically deleted from the quick settings after a month without being used.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed this as well. Likely a Google update. Don't know why it needs to be in the quick settings but it's not hurting anything so....

It's not from G+ because I have an update waiting for that

Posted via the Android Central App

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Google or Motorola pushing something under the hood.

That could very well be the reason why it appeared. I have very few third party apps on my Moto X.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I thought I was going crazy when I saw that toggle appear. :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It looks more and more on the Google / Lollipop side. Lots of complaints from Samsung owners about losing the mobile toggle on the quick settings the same day. It doesn't seems a coincidence :)

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed the icon appear in my quick settings a few days ago, but it was after I went in the settings and experimented with the inverse colors, so I think in my case it appeared because I actually used the setting. I figure it will go away after awhile of not touching it, but I do think it's a weird choice on Google's part to make these dynamic. The whole point of quick settings is to be able to find the setting quickly, which gets hard to do if they move around on their own.

tamxir

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Please don't take this as a criticism because it isn’t one. Fortunately, all the posters didn't directly say to remove the feature, but some on other forums have, and they have been shot down in flames for being so thoughtless :)

I think having the Negative Colors toggle there is fantastic. Otherwise, it takes many screen taps to access the Toggle in Accessibility settings. People with normal vision typically can't see the point of it and can'tr wait to get rid of all traces of it. Before, on a Galaxy S3, there was a negative colors widget. It went probably due to whinging from thoughtless selfish types who just wanted it gone.

Newsflash - visually impaired people generally can't use a phone without it. About 8% of the population have some form of vision loss. Look it up. That's a large chunk of people to ignore.

tamxir

denenbsa

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks very very much for mentioning Accessibility settings. I had spent most of an afternoon searching forums and trying everything from messing with my system calendar to swinging a dead cat around my head 3 times --- to no avail. I wait without much hope for the "Google Assistant" to engage in a conversation which will lead me to a plan for navigating to a a solution.

Also thanks for pointing out the the usefulness of inversion for visually impaired persons.

Stu