Switch from an S5 to a Moto x?

anon(147178)

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey all!

So, I currently have an S5, which I'm not fond of. I've had it for about a year and had nothing but issues. I have a year left on my contract before I'm eligible for a new phone, but with the deal Motorola has going on right now for the Moto X I could almost get one at no cost (by trading in my S5). I'm wondering if there are any other former S5 owners that have switched to the Moto X and what your thoughts are.

I've always been more fond of stock android and TouchWiz is one of the primary things that drives me crazy. Also, since lollipop (even after factory reset, clearing cache/data) the S5 has been extremely slow. I know by this time next year there will probably be a newer version of the Moto X, but considering that I could almost do a straight swap I'm wondering if it could be worth it.

In terms of hardware how does the 2014 Moto X stack up? I hear battery life isn't so hot, but currently I have to charge my S5 multiple times through the day anyway... so I'm not seeing that as a big factor. Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

pacobaBR

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey man,
The hw is quite capable still (I used to have a 2013 moto x before and the hw was its big flaw). I have 0 complaints so far, apart from the camera. My battery is good for about 20 hours but keep in mind that my phone is ALWAYS running. I have an average of 5.5 hours of screen on time. If you can get it for almost free, do it. Unless you are very serious about cameras on your phone, I see no way you can regret this decision.

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I would say 5 hours sot is not typical. I saw 3 or less with the 2014 x. The camera will be a big step down from the s5. But it is still a great phone with the near stock Android experience. Also I would recommend selling the s5 on swappa vs trading it in since you'll get more for it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
About the only step backward is the camera in my opinion. I prefer the smoothness of the Moto X. My Moto X is still quick and runs great. I'm looking forward to 5.1. I don't use mine as my daily driver right now, but it's only because I've been bouncing between my Note 4 and 6 Plus. I still think the Moto X is a great buy. Definitely sell the S5. Don't trade it in. You can pay for your Moto X if you sell it.

Sent from my 2014 Moto X

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've always been more fond of stock android and TouchWiz is one of the primary things that drives me crazy.
One of the first things I do with any phone is change the launcher. I prefer Nova to almost anything else, TouchWiz, dstock Android, Motorola, anything. Not liking the launcher that comes with a phone is no reason to get rid of the phone, just get rid of the launcher. (It's just an app - that happens to run when you start the phone.)

Motorola used to make great equipment. My MicroTAC - about 25 years old - still works, even though there's no analog network for it to work on, my StarTAC still works, even though, since it has no GPS, it can't be used any more and my V551, which is about 11 or 12 years old, is my current spare phone. But that's Motorola. Motorola phones aren't made by Motorola any more, so I don't know how good they are. But the X has two deal breakers for me - the battery isn't field-removable and there's no SD card slot.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey all!

So, I currently have an S5, which I'm not fond of. I've had it for about a year and had nothing but issues. I have a year left on my contract before I'm eligible for a new phone, but with the deal Motorola has going on right now for the Moto X I could almost get one at no cost (by trading in my S5). I'm wondering if there are any other former S5 owners that have switched to the Moto X and what your thoughts are.

I've always been more fond of stock android and TouchWiz is one of the primary things that drives me crazy. Also, since lollipop (even after factory reset, clearing cache/data) the S5 has been extremely slow. I know by this time next year there will probably be a newer version of the Moto X, but considering that I could almost do a straight swap I'm wondering if it could be worth it.

In terms of hardware how does the 2014 Moto X stack up? I hear battery life isn't so hot, but currently I have to charge my S5 multiple times through the day anyway... so I'm not seeing that as a big factor. Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

For what it's worth, I would say definitely go for the Moto X. I had the 2013 Moto X, and now I have the turbo. It is really close to stock Android, and the features that they have added are actually useful. My wife has the S5, and she's grown to hate it recently. Random restarts and absolutely horrible battery life. She totally wants my phone or a Moto X. We might have to bite the bullet and grab her one early.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Looks like s5's on swappa are down to about $230. A used turbo will cost you $325. A new 32gb moto x will cost you $349. Looks like you'll be adding cash either way coming from a s5.

K-Unit

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
The launcher is not even close to the entirety of touchwiz, actually it's one of the smallest factors when it comes to the hit the phone takes on speed/reliability/and overall stability. So yes, you can change the launcher to *attempt* to hide touchwiz, but the launcher will NOT fix the random app crashes, random lag, general slow downs or change the way the REST of touchwiz looks (Settings, dialer, msging, notification shade, system apps, no Google swipe, goofy Samsung font, ectectect).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance