5.1 Update has made my 2014 X feel new again

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
What once was a great phone, my 2014 X became plagued with wifi problems, lag, and closing of apps due to the memory leak in Lollipop. I almost threw it on the concrete over many occasions when my music would stop playing multiple times an hour.

Since the update, it's like a totally different phone, and I'm enjoying it again. I had intended on buying a new phone over the summer because of the issues, but maybe I'll keep it for a while now.

Anyone else really happy with the update?

Last edited:

instigator008

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I was considering replacing mine with one of either the Nexus 6, LG G4 or Galaxy S6. I'll hang on to it now until the new Nexus comes out.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Cant tell the difference. But then again I was one of the lucky ones who never really had any issues with 5.0

Posted via the Android Central App

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have also been one of the fortunate group who has been generally pleased with the performance of my phone.

A question for those of you who have done the upgrade - did you perform a factory reset after doing so? I know this question has been the subject of numerous threads for just about every phone, but I am wondering if some of the improvement in performance described here is due to the upgrade or the fact that you did a factory reset after the upgrade?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I have also been one of the fortunate group who has been generally pleased with the performance of my phone.

A question for those of you who have done the upgrade - did you perform a factory reset after doing so? I know this question has been the subject of numerous threads for just about every phone, but I am wondering if some of the improvement in performance described here is due to the upgrade or the fact that you did a factory reset after the upgrade?

I installed 5.1 without a factory reset

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Didn't factory reset either.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

No factory reset here either.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't factory reset, either. I did clear cache in the storage settings and recovery. I normally do reset after updates but 5.1 seems to be mainly bug fixes and it's running well for me so far. I may still reset just because, but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle this time.

Overall I'm really happy with the update. Like someone above said, I didn't really have any problems with 5.0 either. 5.1 seems to be running even smoother than 5.0 and I'm happy it seems they made significant progress towards fixing the memory leak. It's really nice being able to open apps from the list of recent apps and not have them refresh every time. My battery life seems pretty much the same but I did have something happen last night that's never happened before. My battery got down to 15% and gave the low battery warning, but I was still using it to check a few things. It got down to about 12% and just turned off. I used to be able to run it down under 5%. No big deal, but lesson learned. When it hits 15% I'll be plugging it in from now on.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My battery got down to 15% and gave the low battery warning, but I was still using it to check a few things. It got down to about 12% and just turned off. I used to be able to run it down under 5%. No big deal, but lesson learned. When it hits 15% I'll be plugging it in from now on.

Mine was doing that BEFORE the update. Not sure if it's still doing it for now.

Johnny Barbrarelli

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
If there has been any changes at all to battery life, I'm leaning towards things have been improving as of the update. Keep in mind I'm a sceptic when it comes to update.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine was doing that BEFORE the update. Not sure if it's still doing it for now.

I and others have reported on this issue in this forum several times and in the official Moto X support forum. I had this problem with 5.0 and I believe it still exists in the current version. As best I can tell, it is an error in how the phone calculates the remaining battery percentage. It is a very frustrating problem.

Sean1624

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
The only problem I'm having is that I can only get 2h30m of SOT max before my phone is dead. It was like this when I had lollipop also.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Haven't noticed a huge difference myself, but like nickname 303 I wasn't having any real problems with 5.0, either. I did a system cache clear using the recovery menu immediately upon updating, but that's it, no factory reset. I'm perfectly happy with a phone that works as well after as it did before, that's a win in my book.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I was so frustrated with my PE on 5.0 that I picked up a Nexus 6 a couple of weeks ago. A few days later, I get the update on the MotoX. I have been happy with the Nexus so I haven't had a chance to go back yet. If I get tired of the size of the 6, it is good to know that I can reliably return to my MotoX.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I was so frustrated with my PE on 5.0 that I picked up a Nexus 6 a couple of weeks ago. A few days later, I get the update on the MotoX. I have been happy with the Nexus so I haven't had a chance to go back yet. If I get tired of the size of the 6, it is good to know that I can reliably return to my MotoX.

It's just so weird how some people have had problems with 5.0 and others have been happy with it

Last edited:

johncbell

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
The 5.1 update tool forever, the main issue was simple communication, i feel. When they started and then said its coming soon. That was stated about 5 months ago, then Opps, it went month to month. I also think a simple Scripting of "Hey it will be ready when its ready" Or at least tell people what defect's they are working on instead of the <we are working>. The Lack of communication is the greatest opportunity most companies have for improvement.

Screenshot_2015-07-06-18-47-03.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay