OK so after updating to 5.1 I hadn't noticed anything unusual about how it has been performing. However yesterday the battery drained rather quickly when I was at work and died. When I got home I plugged it into the charger and it won't take a charge. Left it plugged in all day and nothing. Any ideas or is the phone dead and in need of replacing?
    07-13-2015 03:10 AM
    OK so after updating to 5.1 I hadn't noticed anything unusual about how it has been performing. However yesterday the battery drained rather quickly when I was at work and died. When I got home I plugged it into the charger and it won't take a charge. Left it plugged in all day and nothing. Any ideas or is the phone dead and in need of replacing?
    Sounds like a dead battery unfortunately

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-13-2015 06:05 AM
    This happened with my Niece's Moto X. Couldn't boot... couldn't get to the bootloader. We finally ended up pulling the back and disconnecting the battery for a while. After reconnecting it we could get into the bootloader... wiped cache and data and all was well.
    07-13-2015 09:43 AM
    I will fully charge my battery before I attempt to upgrade to 5.1. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-13-2015 11:12 AM
    Finally able to get into the bootloader and wipe the cache. Phone is alive and charging but what an ordeal. Luckily I had two other phones but still it sucked.
    07-13-2015 11:34 AM
    Try something very simple first... Swab the USB port in the phone with a cotton swab.

I had the same problem. I went as far as began ordering a warranty replacement from Moto. While I was on the phone with Moto, I cleaned the port with a cotton swab and, miraculously, it started charging. Canceled the order on the spot and no problems since.

Coincidentally enough, this happened to me right after installing 5.1. I did have a full charge before the install.
    07-13-2015 11:40 AM
    Oh I did too. Had 5.1 on the device for a couple weeks. Just happy it is working now.
    07-13-2015 03:30 PM
    Hook it up to the charger and hold the power button for a few minutes maybe? It's an old trick I learned on the Nexus 4 back in the day, not sure if it applies anymore but it's worth a shot I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-19-2015 05:34 AM
    That old trick (plug in & hold pwr button for a minute or two) worked on our Moto X 2g in Feb 2017. Thanks for thinking of it.
    02-04-2017 02:52 PM
    I had the same problem (I`ve changed the battery but the Chinese seller had sent me a 2nd hand one!) I have a charging meter so I could tell the phone was taking no power and appeared dead.

As above I held the power button in for about 30secs, after releasing the green light then started flashing and my meter said the phone was taking charge, it trickle charged for a while, then after it had taken about 15mAh I re-plugged it and it started charging normally.

This issue is clearly chiefly due to a battery in poor condition. I've also had the phone stuck only taking a tiny amount of charge and the green light flashing (indicating dead battery) I recovered from that by simply plugging into a computer USB port, the phone was then happy to take more charge!
    05-14-2018 04:41 AM