Moto X Bluetooth Connectivity

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I decided to start from scratch so I did another factory reset on my Moto 360 and also bit the bullet and did a factory reset on my Moto X 2014. Sounds like different issues for different users as my issue with Bluetooth connectivity was ONLY in regards to my Moto 360 smartwatch. Other Bluetooth connectivity with cars, Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth portable speakers were fine. However, since updating my Moto X to 5.1 Lollipop, I've seen a rather significant drop in battery life on my Moto X. Last night I switched my phone to Safe Mode and battery life increased dramatically, so I thought it was worth doing a clean factory reset on the Moto X. It will take me awhile to determine the impact as I'm totally starting from scratch and plan to re-install my apps a few at a time to determine if I have any bad actors that are causing the battery drain on my phone.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Alright I'm almost 4 hours in and Bluetooth is still fine and the phone is still faster as I previously mentioned. I checked my wife's X 2014 and our boot animations are different and mine does boot faster. Same software version, I just did the factory reset on mine. I'll keep you guys posted.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Alright I'm almost 4 hours in and Bluetooth is still fine and the phone is still faster as I previously mentioned. I checked my wife's X 2014 and our boot animations are different and mine does boot faster. Same software version, I just did the factory reset on mine. I'll keep you guys posted.
Had you tried clearing the system cache previously? I think I might start there before doing a full reset. I have not done that before so I'm not sure what it effects. Will it still keep my app data?

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Clearing the system cache won't erase your data but for me it didn't fix my issue. So far my double factory reset/data wipe seems to have eliminated all of my Bluetooth problems.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
First full day today after performing factory reset on my Moto X yesterday morning and everything so far is running great with battery life improvement on both my watch and my phone. No Bluetooth disconnects with my Moto 360 and I walked out of range of my phone several times today and after walking back within range each time, the Bluetooth re-connected to the phone perfectly without the need to manually toggle Bluetooth. Adding back a few apps at a time to see impacts, if any, on battery life.

Doing cache partition wipe does not erase any data and I do them routinely every week or two as routine maintenance. It can help fix minor bugs but more significant issues usually require complete factory reset.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm waaaay over 24 hours with no Bluetooth drops. Connection to 360 has been rock solid. Phone will reconnect to Boom and Tracks Air as soon as they power on. I think I'm going to pronounce my problem solved. I hope my constant updates haven't been annoying and I also hope they helped someone else.

Have a good one peeps.

Matthew Lenz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I nuked mine earlier this morning as well. (cache and system). Haven't had any drops on my LG G Watch. Noticed the different boot animation as well and got a system update (maybe for that mms security issue? dunno). I did have a bunch of verizon apps disabled on the previous install. Anyone else on Verizon with that did the same?

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm waaaay over 24 hours with no Bluetooth drops. Connection to 360 has been rock solid. Phone will reconnect to Boom and Tracks Air as soon as they power on. I think I'm going to pronounce my problem solved. I hope my constant updates haven't been annoying and I also hope they helped someone else.

Have a good one peeps.
Not annoying and I appreciate it. I think I will have to find time to do the same myself.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I nuked mine earlier this morning as well. (cache and system). Haven't had any drops on my LG G Watch. Noticed the different boot animation as well and got a system update (maybe for that mms security issue? dunno). I did have a bunch of verizon apps disabled on the previous install. Anyone else on Verizon with that did the same?

I disabled a bunch of Verizon apps before and after I did the factory reset.

Matthew Lenz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
It was the last app I'd installed. Everything was working fine. I installed it and then started noticing bluetooth problems. My wife had it chewing up all her battery. I'm just using their mobile website now instead of the app. My guess is whatever is causing this bluetooth issue is an app that uses one or both of the bluetooth permissions. But boils down to an issue with the hardware, which really makes me question buying anymore hardware from Motorola.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol