Moto X Bluetooth Connectivity

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. Just a quick questions about Moto X and Bluetooth. I got my X first and it had 5.0 installed. In the meantime we bought my wife one and they both updated to 5.1. Now the question.

We both have Bluetooth connectivity issues. Mine with my Moto 360, hers with the Bluetooth in her VW. Same issue... Device won't reconnect once disconnected unless we toggle Bluetooth.

I've forgotten the device and re-paired. Restarted the phones. Etc etc.

They are usually good until the connection is broken, car powers off or I walk out of range on my 360. Then they won't reconnect without a toggle/restart. I can't honestly say these started with 5.1 because I had 5 for such a short time before it updated.

Thoughts?

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Moto X 2014 and Moto 360. Used to very rarely drop Bluetooth connection and if it did, like when walking out of range, it would reconnect automatically. Now it doesn't reconnect automatically and several times a day even without walking out of range, I'll lose the Bluetooth connection and only way to bring it back is to toggle Bluetooth off and back on.

Gordon D Miller

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having this same issue recently. I have a Moto X Pure Edition on 5.1 and a Moto 360 and Samsung Gear Live.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dunc

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing the exact same thing with my Moto X (pure 14) and my Audi - listening to a podcast, or streaming Pandora, I get about 5 minutes of connectivity then the connection drops and my car reports "Searching for Bluetooth Device". The only way to get it to work is to toggle airplane mode, and then reconnect. The problem happens every time I'm in my car. It began happening with 5.1. So frustrating! Makes me wonder whether I want to risk getting a Moto X 15 or whether I should wait on the Nexus. I love Motorola's Moto X enhancements, but bluetooth sucks! I can't risk that in another phone.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
My only Bluetooth connectivity issue was with my Moto 360. I don't use it with my cars much. I do have Rocketfish Bluetooth stereo headphones and a Motorola EQ7 Bluetooth portable speaker and connectivity has never been an issue with these devices.

And today, I think I have solved my issue with the Moto 360. I had tried forgetting the device in Android Wear and re-pairing previously but that didn't fix it. Today, I took it one step further remembering some troubleshooting steps I'd read before with the Moto 360.
Here's what I did:
1. I went into the Android Wear app and forgot the connection to the Moto 360.
2. I uninstalled the Android Wear app from my Moto X.
3. I re-installed the Android Wear app on my Moto X.
4. I did a factory reset on my Moto 360.
5. I re-paired my Moto X and Moto 360.
6. I gave the watch plenty of time to re-sync all of the apps.
Since performing these steps early this afternoon, my Bluetooth connection with my Moto 360 has been rock solid. I also walked out of range from my Moto X so the Bluetooth connection would be dropped, then walked back into range and presto...the Bluetooth connection was re-established as it used to without the need of toggling Bluetooth off and back on. If you're having issues with the Moto 360, you might give this a try and be sure to include steps 2. and 3.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well.. I have just completed these steps. I pray to Peter Norton that this fixes my issue because the last two days my 360 had been nothing but a watch. I literally had to toggle Bluetooth 30 times today. I kept a tally. Thanks for the tip!

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
This is amazing. Can't be a coincidence. I came here to post about my Bluetooth connectivity issues over the last 2 days. It keeps losing connection to nearly all my devices that I use it to pair with...earpiece, car, speaker. This cannot be a coincidence and must have something to do with an app or service that was recently updated on our phones. I have tried everything I can think of. Deleting and re-adding devices, clearing data and cache in the Bluetooth app, etc....no luck. Still loses connectivity. Very frustrating.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I followed the steps listed above and my problem isn't any better. I've had to toggle my Bluetooth 4 times already today and my phone and watch have never been more than 5 feet apart.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I may have been slightly premature in my euphoria. So far today, after about 12 hours, I've lost Bluetooth connection with my Moto 360 three times and had to toggle Bluetooth to restore the connection. I also walked out of range of my phone 3 times and one time it restored the connection on its own and the other 2 times, I had to manually toggle to restore. So at least for me today, it's better than it was before doing the above procedure, but still not perfect. Bluetooth connection to my other devices outside of the Moto 360 remains good.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
This is definitely a Moto X bluetooth problem for me. I decided to try to connect to my Tracks Air headphones and UE Boom speaker. I was not able to connect to either this morning until I toggled bluetooth. The X is currently connect to and playing Pandora through Boom. We shall see how long this lasts. I know I didn't have this issue on 5.0. So this is something new with 5.1. Thoughts?

Matthew Lenz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
This just started happening to me a few days ago as well. Everything worked and now constant bluetooth disconnects from my LG G Watch until I toggle bluetooth. Could swear there was a recent update to one of the apps. I think the Moto app? First thing I tried was a factory reset on the watch. Didn't help. EDIT. I'm fairly certain the new Google App (new google now/search etc) update is causing this problem having reviewed all my recent updates.

Last edited:

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had this going on for a bout a month on my 360 and my Moto X. If my speakerphone in my car disconnects a toggle of the bluetooth usually restores it, but for my 360 I keep having to do a factory reset of the watch to restore connection. I hope somebody figures this out.

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok.. so.. since this thread has gotten some "me toos" I have paid particular attention to my Moto X the last few days. It is clearly a Bluetooth issue with the phone. Once the connection is broken with any device, speaker, headphones, watch, etc. you have to toggle Bluetooth to get it back. I came into my home office this morning and tried to connect to my Boom speaker and it would not connect until I toggled the Bluetooth. I've just given up on my Moto 360. I don't even put it on any more because the connection is pretty much broken all the time. I guess I could try a factory reset but then I have to reload all my apps and uuuuugh. I dunno.

Matthew Lenz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to avoid that as well. How many of you have Android Wear that have posted on this thread? Might be an issue with the Android Wear app... EDIT: Re-reading all the posts it appears that most if not everyone here has Android Wear. For those of you with bluetooth issues other than Android Wear maybe you could try uninstalling the AW app? I only have problems with my watch.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to avoid that as well. How many of you have Android Wear that have posted on this thread? Might be an issue with the Android Wear app... EDIT: Re-reading all the posts it appears that most if not everyone here has Android Wear. For those of you with bluetooth issues other than Android Wear maybe you could try uninstalling the AW app? I only have problems with my watch.
I have the issue on my speakerphone too, I just notice it most on my watch.

I should add I did try reinstalling Android Wear.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the issue in both of my cars and do not have the Android wear app installed. About a month ago it almost never automatically connected to my car unless I toggled Bluetooth. It has gotten better over the last couple weeks. Works about 90% of the time now. Very strange.

Matthew Lenz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Renegademoose:

I mean completely un-installing android wear. If it was more than my watch I'd try it myself but since it's only the watch it wouldn't help rule anything out.

Thunderup:

hmm. well maybe not an android wear thing then. Maybe something with the Moto app?

Crazymick

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I decided to just bit the bullet and do it. I factory reset my phone following these steps:

1. Clear the system cache
  2. Factory wipe/reset
  3. Factory wipe/reset
  4. Set the phone up again
  5. Connected to my bluetooth speaker.
  6. Shut down my phone and turned it back on. Phone immediately connected to the speaker. Repeated #6 Same result.
  7. Walked out of the room to break the connection to the speaker. Walked back in phone immediately reconnected.
  8. Factory reset the 360, downloaded Android Wear & set the watch up again
  9. Restarted the watch. Automatically reconnected. Walked out of range and it automatically reconnected.

My observations 30 minutes into this. The phone seems noticeably faster than before. Noticeably. I can't stress this enough. It seems like a different phone. The motorola M is now a deeper shade of blue and the boot logo is also different.

So far every bluetooth re-connection has been automatic. Turning bluetood device on/off. Walking out of range and back. Here's hoping this fixes my issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair