Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X (2nd gen)

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my XT1095 successfully. It did get really hot during the install but everything seems fine so far. I am on AT&T by the way but ordered it directly through Motorola.

I bought the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition back in September and while it is a great phone, it was a bit bigger and heavier than I had hoped. When I saw the 2014 64GB Pure Edition on sale a few weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered one as $299 was a great deal and I wanted something a bit newer than my 2013 Moto X when I wanted to use a smaller phone.

My 2014 arrived on Dec 9th and I have not gone back to my 2015. In fact, I am pretty sure that I am going to sell it as I like the size, weight, and feel of the 2014 a lot better.

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I just updated my XT1095 successfully. It did get really hot during the install but everything seems fine so far. I am on AT&T by the way but ordered it directly through Motorola.

I bought the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition back in September and while it is a great phone, it was a bit bigger and heavier than I had hoped. When I saw the 2014 64GB Pure Edition on sale a few weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered one as $299 was a great deal and I wanted something a bit newer than my 2013 Moto X when I wanted to use a smaller phone.

My 2014 arrived on Dec 9th and I have not gone back to my 2015. In fact, I am pretty sure that I am going to sell it as I like the size, weight, and feel of the 2014 a lot better.

Mine got really hot during the upgrade as well. I recall the same thing happening when I upgraded to 5.1 back in June or July.

I've had my Moto X for a little over a year now. Still love it!

JoseDlg

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The Moto X 2014 in Mexico is being updated as well. I got the update on December 15, and it works very well, but the battery life didn't improve at all.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Updating now myself, super stoked to find the notification waiting for me when I woke up this morning. Marshmallow works great on my N7, so I'm eager to see how the Moto X fares.

Edit: Updated and cleared the system cache (which took longer than I remembered). Google Play Services gave me some trouble at first since it kept saying it needed to update but had no option to do so. I ended up leaving the phone alone for a while on the app page and it eventually fixed itself.

Everything seems fine, no issues so far. One thing I did notice is that the update is 6.0, not 6.0.1 (which is the latest version). No telling how long it will be before the point update comes our way, but doesn't seem like a big deal right now.

Last edited:

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Stand-by battery life is fantastic now. Doze is the real deal!

I unplugged my phone last night at 11pm. Took a screenshot at 7am. It lost 6% battery life overnight. At that rate it should last over 5 days on stand-by. Pretty awesome!

Screenshot_20151222-070442.jpg

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So far after reading some comments on Moto's own forums about issues folks have run across since taking the 6.0 update, I've been holding off. The "system software update" pop ups are getting obnoxious after just one day, though. I have horrible memories of 5.0 on this phone, and I fear that 6.0 will be the last update we see (probably will never get 6.0.1), so if I'm going to update my phone, I want to know it's relatively stable (5.0's memory leak bug was so bad I almost went back to 4.4 on my old Moto X 2013).

So... for those who have already taken the upgrade on the 2014 PE Moto X, how has your experience been? Any issues with calls? Notifications? Bluetooth? DND vs Assist settings? How about music controls for Google Play Music on the lockscreen? Lag? Please share! :)

Ruben_915

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Updated my wife's last night. Everything went by smooth. The November security update broke her ear speaker functionality will in calls and she had to use it on speaker phone. This update fixed that, but it didn't include the latest security updates which is kinda dumb. But so far everything works fine. She did get a pop up about Nova Launcher not working properly, and that Google and Nova are working on it. But, Nova seems to be working fine. I'll update after a few days on battery life, or any bugs we find.

Posted via Android Central App

adhood_42

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Updated today (US) and everything is working great. Running on AT&T. Phone is very response and battery is doing well. No bugs noticed yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

limeycrescent

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm very disappointed in the upgrade because it disabled Moto Assist. Supposedly only duplicative features were disabled, but that's not true--there is no replacement functionality in Marshmallow.

I relied on Moto Assist to quiet my phone when I was driving and when my calendar says I was busy. Now Motorola says the driving function is "no longer supported" and I cannot get the Do Not Disturb feature to work with my calendar either. Sure wish I could rollback to Lollipop. :'(

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input, folks. I got sick of being pestered every time I woke my phone, so I installed the update this morning. So far, things are mostly good, though I haven't done much with my phone yet. For some reason, it did not automatically grant OneDrive access to my storage, so I had to do that manually to keep using OneDrive's photo upload feature.

Other than that, I don't particularly care for the change in the way the volume works -- the 3 sliders on the pop up when you change the volume, and then needing to use the toggle on the notification shade to switch to priority mode manually. I do appreciate the new "total silence" option.

For me, Moto killed Assist with one of the last updates to it while still on lollipop (which removed almost everything particularly useful to me), so I pretty much stopped using it entirely at that point. In some ways, that's good for me because it'll make switching to another brand of phone a lot easier =P.

To the person with the calendar issue -- I can see my google calendars in the Do Not Disturb "event" based options -- is this what isn't working for you?

limeycrescent

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
To the person with the calendar issue -- I can see my google calendars in the Do Not Disturb "event" based options -- is this what isn't working for you?

Yes, that's what I was struggling with.

Instead of checking whether the calendar event is marked "busy," Do Not Disturb's events rule checks whether the event has been "replied" to. I'm not even sure how I would reply to my own calendar, so I set the rule to work whether event was "Yes, Maybe, or Not Replied," but no matter what I did, I couldn't get the phone to quiet during events. It was either always quiet or never quiet. I think the problem might be caused by my all-day events.

Right now I'm experimenting with the Agent app to see if that will restore lost functionality.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Stand-by battery life is fantastic now. Doze is the real deal!

I unplugged my phone last night at 11pm. Took a screenshot at 7am. It lost 6% battery life overnight.

Fyi, the N5X and N6P I've used only lost 2-3% overnight running 6.0 out of the box. Curious if you factory reset after upgrade. If not, you might want to consider it if Doze doesn't improve. It is indeed the real deal.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Sold mine because it's not getting Marshmallow. I will never buy a Motorola product again. Nothing but liars.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Sold mine because it's not getting Marshmallow. I will never buy a Motorola product again. Nothing but liars.

You obviously have the right to do whatever you with your money, but it seems (mostly anecdotally) that Moto really may not have been completely at fault with the decision to not roll out Android 6.0 Marshmallow to the carrier branded Moto X (2nd Gens) as Verizon and at&t may have had some say if not a lot of say in the matter.

I purchased a Moto X (2nd Gen) PURE Edition and it did receive the update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow a week ago today and it feels (maybe placebo) materially better than under Android 5.1 (Lollipop).

Should Moto have been more transparent? YES!!!! I realize there are probably other forces at play like needing the carriers to work with Moto and not be black listed in the future for going against the carriers, but a simple statement of we had prepared an update for your handsets, but due to carrier restrictions we are unable to release would have gone a long way to preserving Moto image as a customer focused company.

As I said earlier on, even posting the update on their website with a disclaimer that if you download and install the update, all bets are off, your warranty is voided and your carrier will not help you, would have been a big improvement over not releasing the update at all.

Again, I do realize either scenario is a pipe dream and more importantly that boat has sailed, but there has got to be a better way to do things in the future.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I just hope the 2014 PE gets another update or two in the future. I know it's fully capable, unless the next version of Android will only support 64 bit. The Nexus 5x launched with only 2gb of RAM so I know that should be OK for some time. Given that there is no carrier interference for the PE, logic dictates it should not be difficult to update in the future.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just hope the 2014 PE gets another update or two in the future. I know it's fully capable, unless the next version of Android will only support 64 bit. The Nexus 5x launched with only 2gb of RAM so I know that should be OK for some time. Given that there is no carrier interference for the PE, logic dictates it should not be difficult to update in the future.

Lenovo and Motorola would have to assign resources to an older device. Marshmallow 6.0 sounds like the end of the road in terms of OS updates.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Lenovo and Motorola would have to assign resources to an older device. Marshmallow 6.0 sounds like the end of the road in terms of OS updates.

Most likely. If that's the case I'll just wait it out for 2016's Nexus.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
You obviously have the right to do whatever you with your money, but it seems (mostly anecdotally) that Moto really may not have been completely at fault with the decision to not roll out Android 6.0 Marshmallow to the carrier branded Moto X (2nd Gens) as Verizon and at&t may have had some say if not a lot of say in the matter.

I purchased a Moto X (2nd Gen) PURE Edition and it did receive the update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow a week ago today and it feels (maybe placebo) materially better than under Android 5.1 (Lollipop).

Should Moto have been more transparent? YES!!!! I realize there are probably other forces at play like needing the carriers to work with Moto and not be black listed in the future for going against the carriers, but a simple statement of we had prepared an update for your handsets, but due to carrier restrictions we are unable to release would have gone a long way to preserving Moto image as a customer focused company.

As I said earlier on, even posting the update on their website with a disclaimer that if you download and install the update, all bets are off, your warranty is voided and your carrier will not help you, would have been a big improvement over not releasing the update at all.

Again, I do realize either scenario is a pipe dream and more importantly that boat has sailed, but there has got to be a better way to do things in the future.

Maybe it wasn't Motorola's fault but they still should have made it right by allowing us to trade in our 2014 version for the 2015. They broke their promise to me and I'll never forgive them for that.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh I agree that Moto should have done something and maybe a trade in allowing for a sizable discount off a new Moto X might have been a good way to go.

Having said that there are so many companies today that break their promises from big things like auto manufacturers to smaller things likes Moto that I have stopped caring half as much, if I like the product I roll my eyes look the other way and hand over my hard earned money, the unfortunate reality in 2015.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid