Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X (2nd gen)

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Even phones bought through motomaker are left out, right?

Really may just jump to iPhone. My iPad has been really good for me.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately yes. I bought my AT&T branded 2014 Moto X through Moto Maker, and it's going to be left out. I'm disappointed but would never consider going to an iPhone. I do own an iPad, so it's not like I'm boycotting Apple - it's just not my cup of tea. I feel too restricted with Apple. If I was done with Motorola (which I'm not), I would go for a Nexus.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The AT&T and Verizon second gen Moto Xs will not be upgraded. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/86e4e1d737?commentId=987704#987704

I've been on record a few times around AC that I had misgivings about the lenovo ownership. I had already made up my mind that their firing of the original Moto X software team was cause enough to be suspicious, but my crystal ball (unfortunately) appears intact with this latest news. I see little reason to trust that lenovo intends to carry on the initial direction Moto was given under Google in a positive way.

I'm getting too old and fed up with the OEM+Carrier update structure of Android to continue it any longer. From now on I'll be choosing my upgrades based purely on which of two devices I prefer more that year: Nexus or iPhone. Nexus I find hit or miss, some years I like them, others not. That's why I'll be using iPhone as my "Plan B" for those years. I am still quite interested in the Xperia Z5 but I just happen to like what I've seen so far of the Nexus 6p slightly more. I've also been burned for a good chunk of my previous and current phone contracts by significant software issues that took at least 25% of the duration of owning a phone to resolve due to the OEM-to-Carrier update structure.

This time around it was even worse. I received Lollipop around march this year and the lollipop battery drain issue will persist all the way to 6.0 so that means a total of 12 months waiting for a resolution since I wouldn't see it until March 2016 if I was going to keep my current device. From now on it's only going to be Nexus or iPhone for me.

Last edited:

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
To abandon support of their flagship phone less than a year after its release is ridiculous. Goodbye Motorola. I've been a loyal customer for over a decade but am done with you.

Posted via the Android Central App

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately yes. I bought my AT&T branded 2014 Moto X through Moto Maker, and it's going to be left out. I'm disappointed but would never consider going to an iPhone. I do own an iPad, so it's not like I'm boycotting Apple - it's just not my cup of tea. I feel too restricted with Apple. If I was done with Motorola (which I'm not), I would go for a Nexus.

I use 2 Macs; so, the iPhone would fit my personal setup well, but the prices are ridiculous. Not crazy about the latest Nexus phones ... I decided to wait for news about the Droid Turbo 2. Hoping for great news!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
On the motorola forum motorola staff are saying its the carriers who have op'd out of the update not motorolas fault.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I can totally believe that Verizon is more to blame for this than Moto is, and hopefully the 2015 Pure will be better since it doesn't go through carriers, but this is still a Motorola phone and I expected Moto to provide support. It's really disappointing because I just decided to stick with my 2014 model instead of getting the new pure, because my current phone works well and I really like the form factor. I'm going to keep it until I feel the need to upgrade, and when I do, I won't be looking at Motorola.

On a related note, I think Google really needs to do something about the manufacturer/carrier update schedules. I hate to say that they should exercise more control, a-la Apple, but I've had this same problem (lack of updates/support) with phones from HTC, Samsung and Moto in the past. At this point I'm thinking of joining the herd and going with Apple, the grass is looking greener (or should I say rosier) on the other side.

Edit: While I'm disappointed about the fact that this phone won't see 6.0, the real issue is security updates. Things like the Stagefright exploit have highlighted the need for manufacturers to keep phones up-to date, at least when it comes to security patches. I'm not going to buy another Moto, have someone discover an exploit, and then be vulnerable for the remaining life of the phone.

Last edited:

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but this is on Motorola. They sold this as a product that would receive timely, close-to-pure Android updates. That was an central part of their marketing push. Implicit in that promise is that they have carrier agreement to be able to fulfill that promise. Motorola had an obligation to contractually ensure they would be able to fulfill the promise. Motorola's Droid line of products is a significant part of VZW's business. As such, they have reasonable clout to demand reasonable compliance from VZW re updates to all of their products. Especially when Android updates are a central component of Motorola's sales pitch. So this whole 'poor Motorola, what can they do when VZW says no?' argument is BS.

Bottom line - Lenovo takeover or not, Motorola is now failing to deliver what they promised. They lied to me as a customer and that's unforgivable. That the Pure is carrier independent is irrelevant now. I won't patronize a company that lies to make sales.

...adding, I may call Motorola and demand they replace my phone with one that will deliver what was promised when I bought it directly from them less than a year ago. The damn thing is still under warranty. They sold me an updateable phone usable on VZW and my phone is now defective in that regard. I want a replacement that can be updated and used on VZW. Worst they can do is say no.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
...adding, I may call Motorola and demand they replace my phone with one that will deliver what was promised when I bought it directly from them less than a year ago. The damn thing is still under warranty. They sold me an updateable phone usable on VZW and my phone is now defective in that regard. I want a replacement that can be updated and used on VZW. Worst they can do is say no.

Or, laugh at you. Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration as I've recently been burned by Moto, as well (besides the Marshmallow fail), but I'd bet you won't get the action you're describing from Motorola.

Moto is really good at saying "no, sorry" and "hell no."

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Or, laugh at you. ... Moto is really good at saying "no, sorry" and "hell no."

Lol! No doubt on both counts. Still might be entertaining to hear their reaction when I ask. Plus it's another way of expressing displeasure.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but this is on Motorola. They sold this as a product that would receive timely, close-to-pure Android updates. That was an central part of their marketing push. Implicit in that promise is that they have carrier agreement to be able to fulfill that promise. Motorola had an obligation to contractually ensure they would be able to fulfill the promise. Motorola's Droid line of products is a significant part of VZW's business. As such, they have reasonable clout to demand reasonable compliance from VZW re updates to all of their products. Especially when Android updates are a central component of Motorola's sales pitch. So this whole 'poor Motorola, what can they do when VZW says no?' argument is BS.

Bottom line - Lenovo takeover or not, Motorola is now failing to deliver what they promised. They lied to me as a customer and that's unforgivable. That the Pure is carrier independent is irrelevant now. I won't patronize a company that lies to make sales.

I am not sure where they promised anything specific in regards to updates in regards to these phones. If they had something like we will update phones for any updates that come 12 to 18 months after release that would be on thing but they didn't. I think a lot of this is just assumed based on their previous track record.

Anyway don't get me wrong I am upset too, even if I wasn't getting a Nexus 5X I had plans to keep this phone for a while and maybe give it to my mother but with support stopping at 5.1 it seems silly.

The very fact the Pure edition is getting updated should indicate this in not as much a Motorola issue as a carrier issue. Carrier's are very much involved in these updates and if they don't have any interest it's usually not going to happen.

Now I do agree given how few they probably sold Motorola should create some kind of trade in or credit program for these phones. Maybe free or really cheap (under $50) to trade in for either a Pure edition for AT&T or Droid Turbo for Verizon. Another option would be something like $200 off the new Moto X with trade in. Just anything like that would at least make it appear they actually respect their customers a bit more than it shows at the moment.

JoseGui

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Even though I'm getting M on my 2014 PE, I'm still upset by this and what it may portend for updates from Moto in the future. I'd be ripping mad if I had a carrier version, and would be pushing for Moto to do something for me, either via discounted upgrades, or converting at least GSM carrier versions to a PE if that's technically possible... something. I've been with Moto since the OG Droid, actually before with flip phones, and suffered through the Bionic, but was confident again in Moto since the 2013 Moto X (and a switch to AT&T). At this point I really want to hear them explain the hows and whys of this before I believe the Lenovo deal wasn't the end of the good Moto... otherwise I join team Nexus.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure where they promised anything specific in regards to updates in regards to these phones. If they had something like we will update phones for any updates that come 12 to 18 months after release that would be on thing but they didn't. I think a lot of this is just assumed based on their previous track record.

~~~

Now I do agree given how few they probably sold Motorola should create some kind of trade in or credit program for these phones. Maybe free or really cheap (under $50) to trade in for either a Pure edition for AT&T or Droid Turbo for Verizon. Another option would be something like $200 off the new Moto X with trade in. Just anything like that would at least make it appear they actually respect their customers a bit more than it shows at the moment.

It was all over their PR when the phone came out:

Thanks to its few years as a Google company and its minimalist approach to software, the Moto X has been able to receive the latest Android updates quickly. This is something that Motorola promises will continue with the new Moto X,...

The Moto X (2014) runs near-stock Android with a light sprinkling of Motorola features on top. The basic interface is pure stock, so you won’t get any flashy interface elements, just bare bones Android 5.1. This, of course, means that the Moto X gets Android updates quickly and is also one of the fastest interfaces around because it is not weighed down with a manufacturer skin. ... Moto X (2014) performance is backed up with 2 GB of RAM to run the latest version of Android, which is Android Lollipop 5.1 at this stage, with an upgrade to Android M expected down the line.

The new Moto X runs on Android 4.4.4, which is for this moment in time, the most recent version of the platform. Last year Motorola managed to push updates to the Moto X incredibly quickly, even on Verizon. It might have been a bit of a stunt all things considered, but the company again promises speedy updates for the Moto X.​

Let's be clear: Prompt Android updates was clearly part of Moto's market positioning, both as a company and for this product specifically. While most PR at the time focused on the upcoming L release, the company encouraged implication was that prompt updates are a benefit of buying a Moto product. That they are now reversing course, even while many units are less than a year old and still under warranty, is appalling.

I agree they owe non-updated Moto customers some non-trivial compensation that would enable them to own a device that matches the reasonable expectations they had when they purchased the X'14. I think every affected customer (especially those still under warranty) should call Moto and demand a straight up replacement to an upgradable device. It's worth making some noise about this.

(Sadly, the new Pure is too big, so I'm not sure I even want it. Where I live I'm stuck with VZW, so a X'14PE isn't an option. I suppose the Turbo is updateable, but yuk. If they actually comp/replaced or deep discounted me a new Pure or Turbo - which they won't - I'd probably want to sell it still boxed. Then what? Wait until the 5X ships?)

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
If Motorola has any common sense they'll offer a compromise for affected consumers. Like a $300 trade in towards the 2015 Moto X or Droid Turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
It was all over their PR when the phone came out:

Thanks to its few years as a Google company and its minimalist approach to software, the Moto X has been able to receive the latest Android updates quickly. This is something that Motorola promises will continue with the new Moto X,...

The Moto X (2014) runs near-stock Android with a light sprinkling of Motorola features on top. The basic interface is pure stock, so you won’t get any flashy interface elements, just bare bones Android 5.1. This, of course, means that the Moto X gets Android updates quickly and is also one of the fastest interfaces around because it is not weighed down with a manufacturer skin. ... Moto X (2014) performance is backed up with 2 GB of RAM to run the latest version of Android, which is Android Lollipop 5.1 at this stage, with an upgrade to Android M expected down the line.

The new Moto X runs on Android 4.4.4, which is for this moment in time, the most recent version of the platform. Last year Motorola managed to push updates to the Moto X incredibly quickly, even on Verizon. It might have been a bit of a stunt all things considered, but the company again promises speedy updates for the Moto X.​

Let's be clear: Prompt Android updates was clearly part of Moto's market positioning, both as a company and for this product specifically. While most PR at the time focused on the upcoming L release, the company encouraged implication was that prompt updates are a benefit of buying a Moto product. That they are now reversing course, even while many units are less than a year old and still under warranty, is appalling.

I agree they owe non-updated Moto customers some non-trivial compensation that would enable them to own a device that matches the reasonable expectations they had when they purchased the X'14. I think every affected customer (especially those still under warranty) should call Moto and demand a straight up replacement to an upgradable device. It's worth making some noise about this.

(Sadly, the new Pure is too big, so I'm not sure I even want it. Where I live I'm stuck with VZW, so a X'14PE isn't an option. I suppose the Turbo is updateable, but yuk. If they actually comp/replaced or deep discounted me a new Pure or Turbo - which they won't - I'd probably want to sell it still boxed. Then what? Wait until the 5X ships?)
Not sure how stories written by tech blogs qualifies as Motorola promising updates. As I said before people assumed that due to Motorola's track record and stock Android that these updates were a given. No where did Motorola promise them.

It's totally fine to be upset, I am too but not because of some promise they never made.

I think we can agree that Motorola should try and make this right and let's give them sometime to do that. After all android 6.0 is literally just starting to come out so let's see what happens.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
No where did Motorola promise them.

The Moto X 2014 MotoMaker page - the very page where they sell the VZW version right now - states:

With quick access to the latest updates, you always enjoy the best Android experience.

"Always." No asterisk or disclaimer that it doesn't apply to carrier versions. Seems like a direct promise made right at the point of sale to me.

Last edited: