Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X (2nd gen)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T and Verizon second gen Moto Xs will not be upgraded. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/86e4e1d737?commentId=987704#987704

I am definitely not disputing that the carrier versions will not get the update, but it is interesting that Moto certified the carrier versions for Marshmallow but will not be updating them:

Wi-Fi Alliance Certifies Moto X 2014 Marshmallow Update | Androidheadlines.com

As mentioned, the Wi-Fi Alliance has recently certified an update to pass to the Moto X, specifically the model numbers XT1092, XT1093/XT1094, XT1095/XT1097, and XT1096

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not to concerned just yet. Seems short-sighted to abandon a flagship barely one year old. If so, I might have to rethink my phone purchasing habits.

Posted via the Android Central App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Moto giving the middle finger to gen. 2 owners. Maybe I should return my Pure 2015...
This is likely a carrier decision and not a Motorola one. They probably sold very few of the carrier model and the carriers ultimately passed on paying for the update.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is likely a carrier decision and not a Motorola one. They probably sold very few of the carrier model and the carriers ultimately passed on paying for the update.
It's frustrating because we will never really know the dynamic between the carriers and moto. It's obvious moto considered the update for all versions, but was that an early move in the process before a decision was made? Did the carriers tell moto no? Did moto even push to update them? What policies and agreements dictate these conversations? How much do we blame the carriers and how much should we blame moto?

These are questions we will never know.

In all honesty, I have the 2014 and my wife has the 2013. I am in the market to replace her 2013 with either the new pure or a Nexus. Despite there not being a carrier involved, I am still putting this as a check mark against buying a 2015 X. For all the amazing things moto has done, I am becoming skeptical of the future.

Sent from my XT1096

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's frustrating because we will never really know the dynamic between the carriers and moto. It's obvious moto considered the update for all versions, but was that an early move in the process before a decision was made? Did the carriers tell moto no? Did moto even push to update them? What policies and agreements dictate these conversations? How much do we blame the carriers and how much should we blame moto?

These are questions we will never know.

In all honesty, I have the 2014 and my wife has the 2013. I am in the market to replace her 2013 with either the new pure or a Nexus. Despite there not being a carrier involved, I am still putting this as a check mark against buying a 2015 X. For all the amazing things moto has done, I am becoming skeptical of the future.

Sent from my XT1096

The second gen Moto X Pure Edition and third gen Moto X Pure Edition are both getting upgraded.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The second gen Moto X Pure Edition and third gen Moto X Pure Edition are both getting upgraded.

Yes, but I have the Verizon version.

I realize that moto should be better with unlocked versions, but they have also had a trend of dumping devices lately. Their reasons may be legitimate, but dropping support is still dropping support. Even if moto is consistently better than other manufacturers, they seem to be slowly loosing that edge. With new management and restructuring, who really knows how moto will handle things going forward.

Sent from my XT1096

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T and Verizon second gen Moto Xs will not be upgraded. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/86e4e1d737?commentId=987704#987704

Whew! There are some really angry people on that forum! Thanks for the link though. I especially found the idea that the decision not to upgrade belongs more to Verizon and AT&T than Motorola very interesting and probably true. In terms of shear numbers it's really not a big deal to the carriers. They sell boatloads more iPhones than anything made by Motorola so why would they care to commit resources to upgrade their branded 2014 Moto Xs?

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
After I got the first moto x I swore I would never leave Motorola. I love that phone. I got the 2014 and not only has it been a disappointment with no data/cellular, now this. What a joke. Goodbye moto, it's been a nice run.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Even phones bought through motomaker are left out, right?

Really may just jump to iPhone. My iPad has been really good for me.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance