Quick help on a replacement Moto X

stupidmop

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for some quick help on getting my new replacement Moto X 2014. I need to get a replacement phone ASAP, so quick responses would be very appreciated!

I've been a owner of the Moto X (2013) since launch and love the phone. I had an unfortunate accident with the phone escaping my pocket and taking a dip in a glass of water last night. The end result is that the phone's antenna system was damaged, but the rest of the phone seems to be working fine (WIFI, camera, battery, storage is all OK). Long story short -- I had Asurion protection through Verizon and for $99 can get a Moto X 2014 replacement phone through them. My options are:

1) Motorola refurbished in black plastic.
2) Motorola refurbished in light colored wood grain
3) New device in light brown leather

Since my options are somewhat limited, I was thinking about going for the new phone in leather over a refurbished phone in black or wood but wanted to get people's opinions. I would have preferred the black leather back over brown, but I'm not in the position to pick any more specifically than these 3 options. A couple of questions.

1) Which would you get and why?
2) For those of you with Leather backed phones -- how have they held up since you purchased it? I see lots of posts about how they have held up over 2-6 months, but wondering how they have lasted longer term.
3) For those with wood or leather -- do regular cases still work on the phones? I see lots of people who have purchased the bumper type cases, but didnt know if all cases worked.
4) Any reason I should skip this and go for something else? I know I can get a Moto Pure Edition for $400 -- but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to spend that much money and go to a much larger size phone.

Thanks in advance.
-Stu

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
1. New leather. If you're being offered a new version over a refurb, no question go for the new one.
2. I do not have one of the leather backs, but Phil (editor in chief of AC) has had one for a year with no problems from what he's posted.
3. Any Moto X 2014 case will work. The different backs are all flush with the phone, so no difference in width or size.
4. If you're happy with the performance of your old phone, stick with the Moto X 2014. It's a little bigger than you're used to, but the difference is minor.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
1. New leather. If you're being offered a new version over a refurb, no question go for the new one.
2. I do not have one of the leather backs, but Phil (editor in chief of AC) has had one for a year with no problems from what he's posted.
3. Any Moto X 2014 case will work. The different backs are all flush with the phone, so no difference in width or size.
4. If you're happy with the performance of your old phone, stick with the Moto X 2014. It's a little bigger than you're used to, but the difference is minor.

I agree. Always go with the new over refurbished.

Posted via the Android Central App

mindhead1

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with previous posts. Get the new phone.

I have a Moto X 2014 with a Red Leather back. The leather is holding up well. You'll get some blemishes and the color will darken from skin oils. Basically the leather is wearing. Also, you'll have a unique device you won't see many like yours in the wild.

The phone itself is great. Get a quick charger. You don't need a Moto version. I have an Aukey I picked up on Amazon for around $10. QC makes the small battery tolerable. I usually give my phone a bump around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and make it until 11pm with no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital