Can't get Portable Wi-Fi hotspot to work on Moto X 2014

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

My issue may not be specific to the Moto X 2014, but it's the phone I'm using, so posting here for possible help. I'm able to tether my Moto X to my Dell laptop and use the internet, no problem.

But when I turn on the portable wi-fi hotspot, give it a network name, set security to WPA2 PSK, broadcast channel (either 2.4 or 5 GHz) and give it a password (at least 8 characters), it doesn't work. My laptop connects, but there's no internet data.

Given that I'm able to share my mobile phone data plan with my laptop via a tether, I'm curious as hell to know why the hotspot feature isn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you mention the successful tethering without the security and password, is that wi-fi as well, or only USB tethering?

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just USB tethering. Though, at times, I've left the portable wifi hotspot on, as well. Either way, as long as USB tethering has been turned on and my phone plugged into my laptop, I've been able to run the internet on my laptop using my cellphone data plan.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does your cell data plan include hotspot? Most of the time, you have to either pay an extra fee, or the plan has to include hotspot tethering.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, good question. I'm gonna call and double check. Just figured that if I could tether, it would be the same for wifi hotspot, but guess not.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel embarrased for having even posted my inquiry here. I checked with my provider here and a mobile hotspot plan is required. That's the issue. Sorry for anyone who wasted their time looking at my post inquiry!!!