08-23-2015 06:35 PM
38 12
tools
    Perhaps the next gen Turbo will have the improved camera as well. Maybe they read JamieLov's posts here.

-----------------
    With zero offense meant to Motorola, given that the company is known for making fantastic hardware as a whole, the cameras found in its flagship devices, notably the Moto X (1st Gen and 2nd Gen), have been rather unpleasant to use during most shooting circumstances. Even though Motorola has worked hard to update its camera software via firmware updates and camera app updates, the shooters just aren’t all that good when compared to other offerings on the market.

On Twitter yesterday, Motorola’s CMO Adrienne Hayes, says the company is working hard to change that this year, stating, “We know we need to improve here and are definitely going to ‘bring it.'”

When asked if Motorola would work to bring an advanced manual camera mode to the next flagship, plus improve on imaging as a whole, Hayes replied with, “We absolutely can and we absolutely will this year.”

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/09...rd-gen-camera/
    Aquila likes this.
    06-10-2015 03:13 PM
    I really hope they plan on using the S6 and G4 as the comparison shots when they're testing that.
    06-10-2015 03:33 PM
    Like I said, I predict a better camera Droid this year perhaps called something like the "Droid Capture".

If there is one thing that moto got wrong the last couple of years, it's photography. It's good to see them acknowledge it.

I still probably won't buy it, though. (I have an upgrade coming this August.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2015 03:56 PM
    Like I said, I predict a better camera Droid this year perhaps called something like the "Droid Capture".

If there is one thing that moto got wrong the last couple of years, it's photography. It's good to see them acknowledge it.

I still probably won't buy it, though. (I have an upgrade coming this August.)
    Motorola has never had photography right.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Paisley and JDStone1 like this.
    06-10-2015 10:10 PM
    My last 3 phones have been motorola android phones (droid, razr maxx, maxx) which I loved. I'm currently using an LG G3 and would like to get another motorola this year but the G3 camera is so much better than moto has offered its hard to go back.

If motorola can compete with LGs camera I would happily jump back to motorola.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-11-2015 10:08 PM
    This is fantastic news. LOVED my first gen Moto X but I wanted to throw that phone away every time I took a pic w/ it.... and I eventually did. I really, really want to go back. I hope they, or the next Nexus, make due on their promise. I'll take a camera 3/4 as good as this Note 4's but that will be a challenge.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 03:54 PM
    Don't mind me. Just embedding the tweets.

Aquila, dusoccer10 and Almeuit like this.
    07-01-2015 05:20 PM
    I want a moto with a good camera.... although, the Nexus is pretty good. It's not great like some Samsung and LG phones I've seen, but it's definitely not bad.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-2015 05:50 PM
    I want a moto with a good camera.... although, the Nexus is pretty good. It's not great like some Samsung and LG phones I've seen, but it's definitely not bad.
    I'd be more than happy if it's slightly below g4/s6 ... I'd take iPhone 6 quality, even 5s

07-01-2015 09:20 PM
    Don't mind me. Just embedding the tweets.

07-02-2015 09:44 AM
    I'd be more than happy if it's slightly below g4/s6 ... I'd take iPhone 6 quality, even 5s

Yeah, I don't think we can expect it to compete w/ Sammy b/c their cameras are where they shine and they shine bright!! I'd be OK w/ a suped up Droid Turbo shooter. I haven't messed w/ one much but from what I see, they look to have pretty good cameras
    07-02-2015 09:46 AM
    Google said the same thing about the camera on the Galaxy Nexus. It was gonna be ground breaking and amazing. 😉

Posted via Android Central App
    07-09-2015 10:50 AM
    Google said the same thing about the camera on the Galaxy Nexus. It was gonna be ground breaking and amazing. ������

For 2011, from a features standpoint it kinda was. Quality, there were better shooters (obviously) - but for a 5 MP bare bones app, it wasn't horrible. It just was never good. Google isn't making a Moto X this year though, so we should be able to separate Google's history from Moto's this year.
    07-09-2015 12:31 PM
    Moto just needs to bite the bullet and pay for proprietary firmware from the hardware manufacturer(Sony or whoever they use). I have lost faith that they can properly sort out a camera on their own. Sensor quality has never seemed to be the issue. It appears to be the image processing.
    07-10-2015 12:44 PM
    For 2011, from a features standpoint it kinda was. Quality, there were better shooters (obviously) - but for a 5 MP bare bones app, it wasn't horrible. It just was never good. Google isn't making a Moto X this year though, so we should be able to separate Google's history from Moto's this year.
    My point is that manufacturers don't go from crappy shooters to awesome ones in a single generation. Is the 2014 model any better of a shooter than the 2013? Not really. If camera quality is a huge plus to someone, they won't be happy with Motorola's next attempt. I'd put money on it.

Granted, I'm perfectly fine with my original Moto X.

beaner b likes this.
    07-10-2015 05:12 PM
    My point is that manufacturers don't go from crappy shooters to awesome ones in a single generation. Is the 2014 model any better of a shooter than the 2013? Not really. If camera quality is a huge plus to someone, they won't be happy with Motorola's next attempt. I'd put money on it.

Granted, I'm perfectly fine with my original Moto X.

The 2014 is leaps and bounds better IMO, they just went from like a 3 to a 4 when Samsung and LG were racking up 8's. The Nexus 6 is actually really good in certain situations, and abysmal in others. If they fix the abysmal part and make a little improvement to the good, that's probably enough for most.
    07-10-2015 06:33 PM
    The Nexus 6 camera is pretty good. Of course its not on the caliber of LG and Samsung. But I'm satisfied with the pics I take.
    07-11-2015 11:05 AM
    The 2014 is leaps and bounds better IMO, they just went from like a 3 to a 4 when Samsung and LG were racking up 8's. The Nexus 6 is actually really good in certain situations, and abysmal in others. If they fix the abysmal part and make a little improvement to the good, that's probably enough for most.
    This. I don't ever expect a fantastic camera in a Motorola phone, but above average would be a nice improvement. I honestly don't believe Moto will produce a "kickin' camera" with the 2015 Moto X, but a "gee I no longer have to take 10 pictures to get a decent shot I can use" camera would be a big incentive for me to replace my otherwise amazing 2014 Moto X with a 2015 one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2015 04:21 PM
    Moto just needs to bite the bullet and pay for proprietary firmware from the hardware manufacturer(Sony or whoever they use). I have lost faith that they can properly sort out a camera on their own. Sensor quality has never seemed to be the issue. It appears to be the image processing.
    Exactly
    mayconvert likes this.
    07-12-2015 08:03 PM
    I don't need or expect S6/G4 quality, I just hope it's a significant upgrade over last year.

07-21-2015 12:12 AM
    The subpar camera was one of the main reasons I returned the 2nd gen Moto X. I hope the next Moto X has a great camera, but I'll believe it when/if it happens.
    07-21-2015 12:29 AM
    I probably need S6/G4/iPhone 6 -level quality for the third gen Moto X to be my next phone. :/
    07-23-2015 06:00 PM
    I probably need S6/G4/iPhone 6 -level quality for the third gen Moto X to be my next phone. :/
    I bet they'll add ois but not improve the image processing at all, which will basically give it a nexus 6 quality. Which, despite a cult following, has a camera a generation or more behind the note 4 and 2015 flagships.
    07-23-2015 06:37 PM
    I'd be shocked if it was G4/S6/iPhone 6+ quality ... near stock makes it almost impossible so it's simply a tradeoff. is be happy with iPhone 6/Nexus 6 quality, which IMO is more realistic. I'd obviously love to be wrong, but I'd be shocked if it's anywhere near S6/G4.

07-24-2015 04:08 AM
    ... near stock makes it almost impossible so it's simply a tradeoff.
    These two are not mutually exclusive. Lollipop has a great baseline standard for photos that can be used if the manufacturer so chooses to use it.

As great as the S6 camera is, it's still not as flexible as the G4 because you can't take long exposures with it. There is no hardware limitations on it, but Samsung has decided to not utilize the functionality.

We'll see what Motorola does, and if they "bring it". But if they don't, it has nothing to do with being close to stock.
    07-24-2015 09:48 AM
38 12