I love what Moto has done the last couple years and I really had high expectations for the 2015 but I really fell they missed an opportunity to release 1 amazing phone rather than 2 good phones. I know they are intended for different markets but here's how I would have updated the Moto X 2014

- Keep 5.2" 1080p screen from LY (If they had to go 5.5 based on cost, i'm ok with that if they use smaller bezels). I dont mind Qhd screen but not necessary due to cost and battery life impact
    - 3600mAh batter from Moto X play
    - Snapdragon 808 processor
    - Starting at $349/399 for $16gb w/SD card

Why the large phablet? The appeal of the Moto X 2013 was mainly its size and the option in the market to have a phone easier to use in one hand when everyone is releasing large phones. I think it was a miss in the nexus 6 and now the Moto X. I know there's a significant market for Phablets but no one seems to be catering to the 5" phone with high end specs (except maybe GS6 but even that feels a tad too tall due to the home button)
    08-01-2015 10:35 AM
    I too was hoping for a hybrid device and a phone device, so say a 5.7" and a 5.0-5.2" To be honest, I am kind of looking at the Moto G.
    08-01-2015 10:47 AM
    I agree about the size. I was also hoping for a 5.2" device, but I understand the commercial reasons after this Motorola move. The new X Play is about the same size than a LG G4 (top shelf) and a Zenfone 5 (bottom one) and with specs and price right in the middle. I think the 5" size will be back with the new Turbo/Maxx generation to be presented in September. And as Golfdriver said we always have the Moto G with 2gb
    08-01-2015 12:19 PM
    Motorola wanted to fill three price points (globally).

$200, $300, $400 = Moto G, Moto X Play, Moto X Style.

I would rather they have called the Moto X Play a "Moto <insert letter between G and X here>" (like a Moto M?) to help avoid confusion in markets where all three phones are available.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-01-2015 06:34 PM
    I also don't understand why the flagship device wouldn't have the best of all specs....Why didn't the Style also get the big battery? Its not competing with the Play anyway. I will have to assume they are reserving that battery for the Droid line which sucks
    08-01-2015 07:12 PM
    I also don't understand why the flagship device wouldn't have the best of all specs....Why didn't the Style also get the big battery? Its not competing with the Play anyway. I will have to assume they are reserving that battery for the Droid line which sucks
    I actually like the droid line, but thats my opinion. It still surprises me that motorola doesnt put a bigger in their flagships. The droid turbo has a 3900mah battery and the phone is a good size. Its not part of the "slim is in" like apple or samsung, but its not too thickeither.

I wonder why, esp since the x play isnt avalible in the US the new style doesnt have a little bit bigger battery. I cant see they only save the big batteries for the droid line. 3000mah is still on the small side when you consider a 5.2 or larger screen.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-01-2015 09:38 PM
    The Style is slimmer than the Play. That's why it has a smaller battery.

Play; 8.9 - 10.9mm

Style; 6.1 - 11.06mm

Its back is a lot more curved so unless they added the fancy new stacked battery tech from Apple's new Macbook they were limited by physical space.

The Style was designed to be attractive, fashionable and sleek (it's in the name). The Play was designed to be robust, long-lasting and dependable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-02-2015 05:53 AM
    It seems to me, except for Sony, if you want a smaller device you have to accept low spec. The presumption seems to be that people that want a small phone only want it for texting and making calls. There is a big gap in the market here for some manufacturer to steal.

08-08-2015 06:42 AM
    The Style is slimmer than the Play. That's why it has a smaller battery.

Play; 8.9 - 10.9mm

Style; 6.1 - 11.06mm

Its back is a lot more curved so unless they added the fancy new stacked battery tech from Apple's new Macbook they were limited by physical space.

The Style was designed to be attractive, fashionable and sleek (it's in the name). The Play was designed to be robust, long-lasting and dependable.

The Style is actually thicker than the Play with a smaller battery and bigger display. Pretty odd if you ask me.

08-08-2015 05:38 PM
    The Style is actually thicker than the Play with a smaller battery and bigger display. Pretty odd if you ask me.

Thicker at its thickest point. Thinner at its thinnest point. A lot more curved. Maybe they just couldn't physically fit a larger battery inside without making the phone thicker.

Or perhaps they left it out for cost reasons to get to the $399 US price point. As the Play already makes substantial cuts to the SOC and display they might have had more wiggle room to add a larger battery and stay at the targeted price point.

Or another option is that they deliberately wanted the Play to have a bigger battery to give it a compelling unique feature that sets it apart from the rest of their lineup. So maybe they deliberately made sure the battery was larger than the Style's to better differentiate the two models.

08-08-2015 05:52 PM
    The DROID line is Verizon's own flagship line.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-08-2015 06:40 PM