I just came back from a Motorola kiosk in Sao Paulo.
    They just released the Moto X Play here in brazil.

I went there to check in hands the quality, size, screen and camera.
    I wasn't considering buying it anyways, but I just wanted to check how some of the components would hold, specially because I'm waiting for the Style/Pure.

The screen seems good. Comparing to my LG G4, it seems as bright, and has good viewing angles. Nothing wrong I could spot on my 5 minutes with the phone in hand. The resolution is 1080p that I think is the sweet spot for phones. I think the QHQ on my G4 is overkill.

The phone seems very well build and fits pretty well in the hand. It's almost the same size as G4, a few mm smaller on the sides, but the rounded edges and beziers help the ergonomics a lot.

The camera is supposedly the same from X Style, so I tried to compare it to my LG G4 camera (the best mobile camera I've ever seen in my life. I'm a professional advertisement photographer.)
    The camera seems good, but it's no comparison to LG G4, and I imagine neither to S6.
    The lack of OIS I think it's bad for a heavy and big phone, because unless you shoot using both hands, it tends to be unbalanced.
    And with a BIG resolution, those small vibrations will transform into blurred pictures.

And the software is the same from last year, so I think it's a little to simple for my taste. I would love an advanced mode, like samsung and LG does.
    It's a step forward to 2014 one, but still no comparison to LG and Samsung top cameras.
    08-12-2015 04:17 PM
    I just came back from a Motorola kiosk in Sao Paulo.
    They just released the Moto X Play here in brazil.

I went there to check in hands the quality, size, screen and camera.
    I wasn't considering buying it anyways, but I just wanted to check how some of the components would hold, specially because I'm waiting for the Style/Pure.

The screen seems good. Comparing to my LG G4, it seems as bright, and has good viewing angles. Nothing wrong I could spot on my 5 minutes with the phone in hand. The resolution is 1080p that I think is the sweet spot for phones. I think the QHQ on my G4 is overkill.

The phone seems very well build and fits pretty well in the hand. It's almost the same size as G4, a few mm smaller on the sides, but the rounded edges and beziers help the ergonomics a lot.

The camera is supposedly the same from X Style, so I tried to compare it to my LG G4 camera (the best mobile camera I've ever seen in my life. I'm a professional advertisement photographer.)
    The camera seems good, but it's no comparison to LG G4, and I imagine neither to S6.
    The lack of OIS I think it's bad for a heavy and big phone, because unless you shoot using both hands, it tends to be unbalanced.
    And with a BIG resolution, those small vibrations will transform into blurred pictures.

And the software is the same from last year, so I think it's a little to simple for my taste. I would love an advanced mode, like samsung and LG does.
    It's a step forward to 2014 one, but still no comparison to LG and Samsung top cameras.
    and what about comparison btw xperia phones?
    08-12-2015 05:18 PM
    I don't have many experience with xperia phones to compare.
    I mostly used nexus and motorola devices in my life. And now I have the G4.

The screen seems at first glance comparable, although with less resolution, to the incredible screen of the G4.
    The camera seems OKAY. A little better than Moto Maxx (Droid Turbo).
    After the G4, my expectation of camera quality has raised a lot.
    08-12-2015 05:42 PM
    I just need the camera to be better than my current Nexus 5. For the price, I can't expect a camera that beats the G4 or S6.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-12-2015 05:45 PM
    I don't have many experience with xperia phones to compare.
    I mostly used nexus and motorola devices in my life. And now I have the G4.

The screen seems at first glance comparable, although with less resolution, to the incredible screen of the G4.
    The camera seems OKAY. A little better than Moto Maxx (Droid Turbo).
    After the G4, my expectation of camera quality has raised a lot.
    technically the droid turbo equals to the xperia series (z1/z2/z3) wich uses the same IMX 220 sensor
    the X Play uses the new IMX 230 sensor...
    Like cakefish I just want a better camera phone than my actual, It didn't need to be equal/better the G4.
    My real concern is about the battery life, which is the reason I'm choosing the X Play over other phones
    08-12-2015 07:00 PM
    technically the droid turbo equals to the xperia series (z1/z2/z3) wich uses the same IMX 220 sensor
    the X Play uses the new IMX 230 sensor...
    Like cakefish I just want a better camera phone than my actual, It didn't need to be equal/better the G4.
    My real concern is about the battery life, which is the reason I'm choosing the X Play over other phones
    The X Play battery will probably hold longer thant the Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx.
    The screen has less resolution, the processor is more energy efficient and slower, and some people argue about AMOLED with QHD (droid turbo/moto maxx) been more power hungry than a bigger TFT panel with 1080p.
    So I really expect X Play to hold for two whole days.
    Leo Bauberger likes this.
    08-13-2015 01:03 PM
    My only disappointment with the X Play is the lack of sensors that make my Moto X 2014 so useful when waving my hand over the phone for notifications etc....however, the battery life will more than make up for this absence.
    08-13-2015 03:13 PM
    There's no proximity sensor? Really? What about gyroscope sensor?

Translated with my own brain to English
    08-14-2015 03:30 PM

There's a proximity sensor, but only one, not four like on the 2014 Moto X.
    And I'm curious too about the gyroscope.
    ewak12321 likes this.
    08-14-2015 06:01 PM
    There's a proximity sensor, but only one, not four like on the 2014 Moto X.
    And I'm curious too about the gyroscope.
    Anandtech quote referring to differences and similarities between Play and Style:

"It is nice to see that the NLP and sensor hubs are shared across the two versions"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9467/m...he-moto-x-play

I interpret this to mean that there should be gyroscope support?
    08-14-2015 06:35 PM
    Hi

Does anyone know what camera sense Moto X Play use? also how many lens element?

seems quiet on that front
    08-16-2015 10:08 AM

hi,

so does this mean, those "gimmicky functions" such as turn phone around to wake up, shake shake to get flash / camera function up - wont work ?

can anyone please confirm?

how about GPS tracking - ie Google Fit - / fitness band tracking devices ... will that work with Moto X Play ?
    08-16-2015 10:12 AM
    My only disappointment with the X Play is the lack of sensors that make my Moto X 2014 so useful when waving my hand over the phone for notifications etc....however, the battery life will more than make up for this absence.

time 7.40
    ewak12321 likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:53 AM
    Yes Rick, this shows the X play lacks the sensors, so will be unable to show notifications with wave of the hand. But as said, can live with that given the battery improvements.
    08-16-2015 01:36 PM
    hi,

so does this mean, those "gimmicky functions" such as turn phone around to wake up, shake shake to get flash / camera function up - wont work ?

can anyone please confirm?

how about GPS tracking - ie Google Fit - / fitness band tracking devices ... will that work with Moto X Play ?
    The only Moto features that are missing are the proximity based ones: wave to silence, approach to show Moto Display, etc.
    All the others (like shake to open camera, chop to flash, Moto Display, Moto Voice) are there. Also, all there's surely at least a GPS, and a dual accelerometer, so apps like Google Fit will work. Fitness bands rely on bluetooth to send data to the phone, so they obviously will work.
    ewak12321 and Rickosw like this.
    08-16-2015 03:17 PM
    Both Moto X Play & Style are very attractive at their price point and I'm almost certain that I will get either one of them ... the deciding factoring will be the discount / offers .. as I read from tech websites, very often they offer good sale offers .. so yeah ... waiting for it (hopefully soon) !
    08-17-2015 09:30 AM
    In the end it turns out that it does not have a gyroscope.
    My Hands-On with the Moto X Play in Brazil-screenshot_2015_08_21_21_44_15.jpg
    That kinda sucks…
    08-21-2015 08:18 PM
    Got mine today....
    I had a Nexus 4 before, phone that suited perfectly my needs.
    This one doesnt seems to have the screen proximity sensor like others moto x. After waving the hand over the screen, nothing happens... I dont think i would ever use this feature, but...
    Got no issues of performance... Snap 615 is great. No heat at all.
    Talking about the processor, it really is an old 28nm design, like my 3 yrs old nexus... I dont understand why have big.LITTLE design with both core blocks of the same type A53, since clock can be modulated, the higher clock cores could perform the same as the lower clock cores...
    But anyway... The processor is OK, its not a big fault the 615... Imagine that everyone is saying how good the MotoG is, how good it his performance, and it only has a 410 processor....
    The contextual processor for me is also meaning less.. L. Talking to the phone gives you just a few options.
    And why the heck it doesn't come with Google photo sphere?!
    Great phone, a little too big for me, good build quality but... Once you have a Nexus, there is no other phone....

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk
    belodion likes this.
    08-21-2015 09:40 PM