09-17-2015 07:21 PM
79 1234
tools
    Rattly buttons and no turbo charger seem to be the negatives so far from both of you.

Positives being the battery, screen, general speed of phone.

Be good to know your thoughts on the camera and the speed when browsing the Web (I remember one review mentioned it was a bit laggy on some sites?).

And any other points of interest!

Thanks again.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-26-2015 05:41 PM
    Rattly buttons and no turbo charger seem to be the negatives so far from both of you.

Positives being the battery, screen, general speed of phone.

Be good to know your thoughts on the camera and the speed when browsing the Web (I remember one review mentioned it was a bit laggy on some sites?).

And any other points of interest!

Thanks again.

No lag on browsing for me via Chrome so far.

Camera I have used a bit and its good, not as good as the LG G4 though. Slight annoyance in full auto is the way it focuses when you tap the screen it takes a shot even if it has not auto focused. HDR photos look the best. I will take a few shots today and upload them on my day 3 update tonight.

zedz and belodion like this.
    08-27-2015 12:43 AM
    My biggest compliant so far is the rattly buttons when tapped.

I've taken some quick comparison shots with the Nexus 5. I plan to take some more in due course, including low light shots.

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

08-27-2015 01:41 AM
    I just purchased one of these for £249 sim free at Carphone Warehouse online and price in stores too,arriving tomorrow price drop
    Cakefish and henrooo like this.
    08-27-2015 05:43 AM
    I just purchased one of these for £249 sim free at Carphone Warehouse online and price in stores too,arriving tomorrow price drop
    Good spot, it was 270 the last time I looked. I've been trying to hold off buying it but that might've tipped the scale...!

Cakefish and Bonovox72 like this.
    08-27-2015 05:47 AM
    Anyone looking for a good protective pouch case/sleeve this is it! From a seller called Begoos via Etsys.com.

It probably won't protect against drops on hard surfaces but it will protect against scratches from pocket lint/debris and hard surfaces etc.

It comes in this cute packaging:

It fits like a glove with the Moto X Play, has a nice soft interior that won't damage the phone and feels robust enough that I don't expect it to fall apart anytime soon:

And the company has great customer service! I cancelled my first order when I spotted this particular design as I preferred it to my original selection and they responded lighting fast to my request, issuing a refund pretty much immediately and informed me straight away via email.

Highly recommended
    belodion likes this.
    08-27-2015 06:33 AM
    Took a few photos on my lunchtime walk, they were on full auto with HDR on.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X Play Now Available for Purchase in the UK!-4364.jpg   Moto X Play Now Available for Purchase in the UK!-4355.jpg  
    Rajeev Kumar5 and zedz like this.
    08-27-2015 07:56 AM
    More comparison pics:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:

Nexus 5:

Moto X Play:
    08-27-2015 12:45 PM
    If you have an old O2 pay and go sim 6 months old at least you can upgrade for £220 it's on Hotdeals
    08-27-2015 03:20 PM
    Fabulous photos, thanks for sharing
    Low light comparison coming very soon!

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    MRS DIVA likes this.
    08-27-2015 04:05 PM
    This photo was lowish light in my office.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X Play Now Available for Purchase in the UK!-4348.jpg  
    08-27-2015 04:35 PM
    Low light comparisons! All taken with HDR enabled with both phones.

[spoiler]
    Nexus 5 HDR:

Moto X Play HDR:

Moto X Play night mode:

Nexus 5 HDR:

Moto X Play HDR:

Moto X Play night mode:

Nexus 5 HDR:

Moto X Play HDR:

Moto X Play night mode:

Nexus 5 HDR:

Moto X Play HDR:

Moto X Play night mode:

Nexus 5 HDR:

Moto X Play HDR:

Moto X Play night mode:
    [/spoiler]
    08-27-2015 06:07 PM
    08-27-2015 10:16 PM
    Great shots.... seems better to take pictures with HDR on in the night/low light than night mode on.

So far I am finding HDR mode gets the best out of this phones camera.

Cakefish likes this.
    08-28-2015 12:39 AM
    So far I am finding HDR mode gets the best out of this phones camera.

It was the same with the Nexus 5

Only issue is that HDR sometimes doesn't work well with moving subjects. I've looked back on one of my daytime pictures and there's a ghost seagull flying alongside its opaque pal this was the same with the Nexus 5 though. Hopefully can be sorted in an update (remember that the Nexus 5 and Moto X 2014 both had updates to the camera software early on in their lifetimes that boosted quality dramatically). The best result will probably be to leave HDR on auto so the phone can spot these moving subjects and decide whether or not it should employ HDR.

Also, I'd like to point out that focusing was very fast even at night in those low light conditions. What with mobilesyrup.com reviewer claiming that Motorola informed them that it does indeed has PDAF and from my own experience, I'm finding it easier and easier to believe that this is indeed the case as time goes on.

08-28-2015 02:28 AM
    It was the same with the Nexus 5

Only issue is that HDR sometimes doesn't work well with moving subjects. I've looked back on one of my daytime pictures and there's a ghost seagull flying alongside its opaque pal this was the same with the Nexus 5 though. Hopefully can be sorted in an update (remember that the Nexus 5 and Moto X 2014 both had updates to the camera software early on in their lifetimes that boosted quality dramatically). The best result will probably be to leave HDR on auto so the phone can spot these moving subjects and decide whether or not it should employ HDR.

Also, I'd like to point out that focusing was very fast even at night in those low light conditions. What with mobilesyrup.com reviewer claiming that Motorola informed them that it does indeed has PDAF and from my own experience, I'm finding it easier and easier to believe that this is indeed the case as time goes on.

Good point, when I am shooting moving images I don't use my phone as I am a sports photographer, I really only use my phone for static quick snaps.

08-28-2015 02:47 AM
    Good point, when I am shooting moving images I don't use my phone as I am a sports photographer, I really only use my phone for static quick snaps.

Same here, I mostly like taking landscape shots with no moving targets, but sometimes seagulls and other wildlife have different plans when they get in the picture

belodion likes this.
    08-28-2015 02:49 AM
    Today's battery, over 4 hours screen time and still on 46% battery! Really impressed.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X Play Now Available for Purchase in the UK!-4378.jpg   Moto X Play Now Available for Purchase in the UK!-4379.jpg   Moto X Play Now Available for Purchase in the UK!-4380.jpg  
    Cakefish and shoaib shah like this.
    08-28-2015 03:02 PM
    8:15 SOT

Ry and shoaib shah like this.
    08-29-2015 06:36 AM
    It would be amazing to see if you could push to obtain 9 or 10 hrs SOT.

Now that would be some serious muscle

Posted by my Superia z2
    09-05-2015 12:14 AM
    It would be amazing to see if you could push to obtain 9 or 10 hrs SOT.

Now that would be some serious muscle

Posted by my Superia z2
    Challenge accepted!

shoaib shah and belodion like this.
    09-05-2015 03:06 AM
    so apart from the odd rattly-button, are there any other major issues you guys are finding? i'm thinking about ordering this today via moto maker. but i'm also thinking about ordering a moto x 2014. struggling to decide
    09-05-2015 07:05 AM
    so apart from the odd rattly-button, are there any other major issues you guys are finding? i'm thinking about ordering this today via moto maker. but i'm also thinking about ordering a moto x 2014. struggling to decide
    If battery is your concern and don't mind having big screen then Moto X Play is the one for you.

09-05-2015 10:00 AM
    Build quality apart from the buttons is excellent and the form factor is great for the large screen. Personally find the software laggy which is a disappointment but I believe the spec of the phone is good enough to run android smoothly so I believe this can be fixed by software update which I hope that Motorola will do

09-05-2015 12:00 PM
79 1234