09-25-2015 09:19 AM
216 ... 45678 ...
tools
    My uncle going to the trip to London next Tuesday and I want him to buy me Moto X play but I have some questions
    1. How is the build quality? Is the phone feel cheap?
    2. How the screen quality?
    3.How is the phone run on 615 processor?
    4 Is the body very thick because the battery size?

I don't mind for LTE in my area H+ is still very fast..

Thanks.
    1) Yes. It feels robust and solid. Only aspect that feels cheap are the power and volume buttons. They are slightly loose fitting and while this doesn't affect actually using them at all, it does occasionally mean that they produce a slight audible rattle depending on how you are holding the phone. That is literally my only complaint about the build quality.
    2) It's great. Nice and bright. Colours look nice and saturated. Contrast is high. It's nice and sharp too. Compared to the Nexus 5 display, it's definitely a slight improvement. It's not an AMOLED, but it's one of the best FHD IPS LCDs out there.
    3) Not as fast as the Nexus 5 and the Snapdragon 800, but it's not horrible experience either. Animations are a bit choppier than you would expect from a modern flagship. The majority of 3D games run fine, just again, not quite as well as the Nexus 5. In terms of multitasking, it's a champ and can handle plenty of apps running at once (including Chrome) without purging background apps from memory.
    4) It's 10.9mm thick at its thickest point, but doesn't feel it because it's curved. It feels very ergonomic and comfortable to hold in the hand.
    eak1570 likes this.
    08-30-2015 04:32 PM
    Thanks.
    08-30-2015 04:41 PM
    Moto X Play video walkthrough | Android Central

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Cakefish and belodion like this.
    08-30-2015 05:36 PM
    Hihi

i have two questions for the floor / current users of Moto X Play ...

1) does Moto X Play support RAW Format?

2) Does Moto X Play support aptX ?

thanks!
    08-31-2015 08:08 AM
    Hihi

i have two questions for the floor / current users of Moto X Play ...

1) does Moto X Play support RAW Format?

2) Does Moto X Play support aptX ?

thanks!
    1) No (at least in the stock Moto camera app).

2) Not sure. How can I check?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    08-31-2015 08:50 AM
    I am really frustrated with the performance of the Moto X Play right now.

So much so that I made a video about it

Please chime in if your devices perform as badly as mine. I am used to Nexus devices with really smooth animations and scrolling.

Youtube: /watch?v=JoA4dGGUQRQ "Moto X Play Performance Issues and Lag"
    08-31-2015 01:48 PM
    I am really frustrated with the performance of the Moto X Play right now.

So much so that I made a video about it

Please chime in if your devices perform as badly as mine. I am used to Nexus devices with really smooth animations and scrolling.

Youtube: /watch?v=JoA4dGGUQRQ "Moto X Play Performance Issues and Lag"
    Thanks for the video. That matches my experiences exactly and looks like the same as Alex on the android central review. Seems strange that for some it is performing much better as I can't believe that people wouldn't notice this. Have to assume/hope it can be addressed with a software update as in all other ways I'm really pleased with it

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-31-2015 02:49 PM
    I am not getting this level of lag and I don't understand why they would be so different. I do get Chrome lag but only really noticed it when someone else pointed it out and I tried a few sites, this was fixed with an adblocker programme.

08-31-2015 02:53 PM
    Are we all on the same software version? Mine is 23.21.10 as in the android central review and I get the lag. Maybe some have a newer build that we'll all get pushed soon?

08-31-2015 03:53 PM
    Are we all on the same software version? Mine is 23.21.10 as in the android central review and I get the lag. Maybe some have a newer build that we'll all get pushed soon?

I'm on the same.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X Play: Various Reviews-8795.jpg  
    08-31-2015 04:19 PM
    Same software version here. By the way I had some Motorola app updates (including Moto app, Gallery app, Camera app and more) that I could install but Google Play Store didn't automatically install these updates for me. I came across them accidentally when searching for Motorola apps in the Play Store. Updated them all. Gallery and Camera apps get some new features and the rest offer bug fixes, so worth installing.

More performance tips for ya guys/gals:

1) If you're using Adguard and want the permanent notification gone, there's a way to do that. First, go the settings menu in the app, navigate to general and find the notification setting in the list. Simple as that!

2) If you want to improve the experience even further using Adguard you can go to settings, navigate to advanced and tick the box that says 'Filter DNS requests'. This has improved performance further and has seemingly decreased the battery impact of Adguard slightly.

3) If you want to use an alternative to Adguard you can download Firefox and use any one of the adblocking add ons. Probably Adblock is the best bet as that has been specifically optimised for Android. This has the benefit of not requiring the permanent VPN icon.

4) Another alternative is Adblock Browser, currently in beta. A simple Google search will lead you to the download link. This is based upon the Firefox browser so the experience is largely the same as going the Firefox + add on route.

5) To improve launcher animations (notably the app drawer expand/contract animation) you can install Nova Launcher from the Play Store. This seems to be better optimised than the Google Now launcher. Animations in the launcher become noticeably smoother. I think this last point is really important as it shows that software optimisation can really help improve performance on this device, so there is hope that future updates to various apps will boost animation smoothness and general responsiveness.

Ogdin and jephanie like this.
    08-31-2015 04:42 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on the Motorola app updates. Strange that they don't show up automatically

08-31-2015 05:06 PM
    Does anyone have any experience comparing this to an iPhone 5s? Particularly in the camera and general snapiness. I'm thinking of returning to android (I've always had a nexus 7 tablet so I've not been completely androidless during my time in ios land) but I'm planning to buy the next one outright and the price point of this makes it appealing.

Also a comparison to a nexus 7 2013 would be useful.
    08-31-2015 05:11 PM
    Does anyone have any experience comparing this to an iPhone 5s? Particularly in the camera and general snapiness. I'm thinking of returning to android (I've always had a nexus 7 tablet so I've not been completely androidless during my time in ios land) but I'm planning to buy the next one outright and the price point of this makes it appealing.

Also a comparison to a nexus 7 2013 would be useful.
    Just so happens that my brother has the iPhone 5S and my mum has the Nexus 7 2013! I'm not kidding.

OK, so first the iPhone 5S. Camera? Better on Moto X Play. No doubt. Just better in every way imaginable. Snappiness? Have to give it to the iPhone. It's iOS, if there's one thing that OS is known for, it's smooth performance.

Nexus 7 2013? Pretty much identical performance to be honest, when both are running Lollipop 5.1.1.

aceytrixx likes this.
    08-31-2015 05:30 PM
    Just so happens that my brother has the iPhone 5S and my mum has the Nexus 7 2013! I'm not kidding.

OK, so first the iPhone 5S. Camera? Better on Moto X Play. No doubt. Just better in every way imaginable. Snappiness? Have to give it to the iPhone. It's iOS, if there's one thing that OS is known for, it's smooth performance.

Nexus 7 2013? Pretty much identical performance to be honest, when both are running Lollipop 5.1.1.

OK well if the play camera is better then I'm sold. Yeah I use my nexus most evenings and have no problems. I assumed the play would be better but just wanted to be sure. Usually go for the flagship model but this is the first time I've been drawn to a model that's beneath that. Although my main complaints with every smart phone has been battery life and the most important thing after that is the camera its easy to see why this one is so appealing. Reckon I'll have to look at ordering it tomorrow
    08-31-2015 05:46 PM
    Can't say I've spent much time in the stock launcher, I throw Nova on every phone I've had. Running Firefox with adblock and I notice no lag.

Posted via my Moto x
    08-31-2015 08:38 PM
    Can't say I've spent much time in the stock launcher, I throw Nova on every phone I've had. Running Firefox with adblock and I notice no lag.

Posted via my Moto x
    Nova launcher runs better on this phone than the Google Now launcher does. Animations are smoother, it's clearly better optimised.

08-31-2015 08:44 PM
    Recent review from AC says it has 64 bit chip. Is it true?

08-31-2015 10:31 PM
    Hi,

Can folks who are suffering lag try a couple of little experiments for me? I'm wondering if the lag is related to a bug in the CPU Governor that is present is at least one other Moto phone. The symptoms sounds similar.

First off download CPU Spy Reloaded or a similar CPU monitoring app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nna.cpuspyfree

Then reboot the phone - use as normal for 15 mins to 30 mins except do not touch the camera! Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

Reboot again - take a ccouple of photos with the main camera and then use as normal for 15mins to 30 mins. Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

You are looking for a clearly different pattern of Clock Speeds after camera use along with more lagginess after camera use.

Also if anyone can post screenshots from Settings/Developer Options/Process Stats they would be interesting to see.

Finally are folks seeing Music Players in the background being chucked out of memory and under what circumstances? Can you reliably use for example Play Music and Maps to navigate at the same time (this latter is my biggest bugbear with my current original Moto G)..
    09-01-2015 01:15 AM
    Recent review from AC says it has 64 bit chip. Is it true?

Yep. Snapdragon 615 is fully 64bit capable. However, it has a 32bit version of Android installed for whatever reason that only Motorola knows.

09-01-2015 04:36 AM
    I'm curious, what made you go for this phone over the Style or the Nexus devices coming in a month?
    09-01-2015 04:57 AM
    I'm curious, what made you go for this phone over the Style or the Nexus devices coming in a month?
    For me it was price, battery and screen size. The new nexus is rumoured to be 5.2 or 5.7 as is the style which to me is a bit too big. 5.2 a bit too small whereas 5.5 is the sweet spot.

Got it for £250 which is a good price which I could justify. And my biggest pet hate with phones in recent years has been battery life so the monster battery was the biggest draw for me.

I also wanted to try the moto additions such as active display which Im already a bit fan of.

I'm also impatient!!

09-01-2015 05:06 AM
    For me it was price, battery and screen size. The new nexus is rumoured to be 5.2 or 5.7 as is the style which to me is a bit too big. 5.2 a bit too small whereas 5.5 is the sweet spot.

Got it for £250 which is a good price which I could justify. And my biggest pet hate with phones in recent years has been battery life so the monster battery was the biggest draw for me.

I also wanted to try the moto additions such as active display which Im already a bit fan of.

I'm also impatient!!

Yeah tbh, I was considering buying one last night, but managed to talk myself out of it and wait a couple of weeks to see what the Nexus looks like. I have to agree with 5.5 being a decent size, the Nexus 6 was too big and heavy while in my pocket and my S6 looks tiny in comparison. I would have loved the Play version to offer leather backs while customising them though. Where did you get it for 250 if you don't mind me asking?
    09-01-2015 05:13 AM
    Carohone warehouse. Just the black 16gb available but that's what I wanted so it was ideal for me. If moto can fix the lag with a software update then I'd rate this as the best phone I've had. Prefer it to my one m8 and the nexus 5 with the only reservation being the performance issues as noted in the android central review

the tall guy likes this.
    09-01-2015 05:24 AM
    A lack of patience. The September rumour hadn't popped up when I bought Moto X Play and so I assumed Nexus 2015 would launch in October/November as they have done in years past.

the tall guy likes this.
    09-01-2015 05:41 AM
216 ... 45678 ...