09-25-2015 09:19 AM
216 ... 56789
tools
    A lack of patience. The September rumour hadn't popped up when I bought Moto X Play and so I assumed Nexus 2015 would launch in October/November as they have done in years past.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    Are you regretting it? I feel the need to buy one haha! also what back colour did you get? I remember reading somewhere that the different coloured back options have a different feel to them, but on Moto Maker it doesn't indicate that.
    09-01-2015 05:48 AM
    Are you regretting it? I feel the need to buy one haha! also what back colour did you get? I remember reading somewhere that the different coloured back options have a different feel to them, but on Moto Maker it doesn't indicate that.
    No. Not regretting it. Battery improvement has made it worth it alone but also the huge jump in camera performance vs my Nexus 5. Also the fact that it didn't cost bucketloads means I have the freedom to get the Nexus 5 2015 if I really want to (it's hinging on whether the camera and battery can outperform the Moto X Play).

I got Metallic Red accents with the Cabernet back.

09-01-2015 05:54 AM
    No. Not regretting it. Battery improvement has made it worth it alone but also the huge jump in camera performance vs my Nexus 5. Also the fact that it didn't cost bucketloads means I have the freedom to get the Nexus 5 2015 if I really want to (it's hinging on whether the camera and battery can outperform the Moto X Play).

I got Metallic Red accents with the Cabernet back.

thanks for the info mate so with the cabernet back, does it have the rubberish feel to it like the black back?
    09-01-2015 06:05 AM
    thanks for the info mate so with the cabernet back, does it have the rubberish feel to it like the black back?
    Yep.

09-01-2015 06:08 AM
    Hi,

Can folks who are suffering lag try a couple of little experiments for me? I'm wondering if the lag is related to a bug in the CPU Governor that is present is at least one other Moto phone. The symptoms sounds similar.

First off download CPU Spy Reloaded or a similar CPU monitoring app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nna.cpuspyfree

Then reboot the phone - use as normal for 15 mins to 30 mins except do not touch the camera! Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

Reboot again - take a ccouple of photos with the main camera and then use as normal for 15mins to 30 mins. Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

You are looking for a clearly different pattern of Clock Speeds after camera use along with more lagginess after camera use.

Also if anyone can post screenshots from Settings/Developer Options/Process Stats they would be interesting to see.

Finally are folks seeing Music Players in the background being chucked out of memory and under what circumstances? Can you reliably use for example Play Music and Maps to navigate at the same time (this latter is my biggest bugbear with my current original Moto G)..
    Here ya go. Kept my usage pretty much the same in both runs (Facebook, YouTube, Tapatalk and Chrome).

No camera run:

Camera run:

Process stats:

Also, I tested playing music via Poweramp and started loading more apps including navigation via Google Maps. Music kept on playing throughout, no issues whatsoever.

neu smurph likes this.
    09-01-2015 06:29 AM
    I'm curious, what made you go for this phone over the Style or the Nexus devices coming in a month?
    Price, dual SIM, battery and screen. The Style is too big for me. All leaks about the LG Nexus 5 say that the external size will be practically the same than the X Play but with a smaller screen. And as Cakefish said, impatience It'll take a long time before is out here in Brazil.
    Petros DIMITRIOU likes this.
    09-01-2015 09:29 AM
    Price, dual SIM, battery and screen. The Style is too big for me. All leaks about the LG Nexus 5 say that the external size will be practically the same than the X Play but with a smaller screen. And as Cakefish said, impatience It'll take a long time before is out here in Brazil.
    It's funny how impatience is the key here lol - I wonder how well both devices would have done if they released them at the same time. What phone are you coming from to the play?
    09-01-2015 09:31 AM
    Moto G 2013. Almost 2 years old and starting to have some issues.

Yeah, both phones being released at the same time could have been interesting.
    09-01-2015 09:41 AM
    Moto G 2013. Almost 2 years old and starting to have some issues.

Yeah, both phones being released at the same time could have been interesting.
    I'm seriously considering buying the Play - will have a chat with the wife tonight haha!
    09-01-2015 10:11 AM
    The latest rumours peg the battery of the Nexus 5 2015 at 2700mAh. Combined with a more power hungry processor (SD 808 rumoured), it doesn't look like it'll be a battery champ like the Moto is.

09-01-2015 10:21 AM
    I think that's too small for my needs. I'm used to have around 6 hours SoT with the G and don't want less than that.
    09-01-2015 10:26 AM
    I find Chrome laggy on all Android phones
    09-01-2015 11:22 AM
    1) No (at least in the stock Moto camera app).

2) Not sure. How can I check?

ok, for part 1) if moto updates the software will it be able to support RAW FORMAT - or does hardware put a limitation?

2) to be honest, i also do not know any scientific test to check if Moto Play support aptX

i just go to the official website and and see if they put it under one of the phones ...

if there is anyone out there that knows a fire-proof way to test APTX, please advice ..

thanks
    09-01-2015 11:45 AM
    First crash today. Someone phoned, it rang and then about 2 seconds later the screen went blank and it rebooted. Hopefully a one off!

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-01-2015 02:20 PM
    First crash today. Someone phoned, it rang and then about 2 seconds later the screen went blank and it rebooted. Hopefully a one off!

I've had one. Can't remember what I was doing at the time. My Nexus 5 has sometimes done this too, it's not exclusive to the Moto phone.

09-01-2015 05:31 PM
    A couple of reviews along with numerous posters have remarked that this phone just isn't performing that well during regular use. AC's own review summed it up nicely:

"Given the decidedly wonky performance we've seen from the Play, it's interesting to go back to Motorola's budget champion, the*Moto G. Sure, the G is pushing far fewer pixels, but it's also packing a much less powerful CPU and the same amount of RAM, and yet every time the G feels like the faster phone. That's a shame, because in most other areas the Play is a joy to use. When you consider all the engineering effort made by Google in recent years to eliminate lag in Android, it's slightly surreal to be going back to 2012-13 levels of stutteriness in a current handset."

That is indeed a damn shame. The build quality issues I've been reading about coupled with the above has unfortunately placed this firmly on my don't buy list. The camera, battery, nice looks, and moto software features had me all set to buy this phone thinking I'd be getting a good deal for $400. But even at that price I don't think expecting less stutter, no iffy buttons, no gaps collecting dust is truly too much to ask for. Combine all this with lenovo totally replacing the original software team bringing all future software updates into uncertain territory, and there's no way I can possibly feel like this phone is a confident purchase.
    I don't know what's going on in Android OEM land these days, they all seem to be dedicated to shooting themselves in the foot in some significant way or another and not a single one this year to date has had the wherewithal to just sit down and say "hey we just made an awesome phone, so let's not ruin all the positives by putting [insert big mistake here] in it"

Is that one simple bit of common sense seriously too much to ask for?
    09-01-2015 08:47 PM
    @Cakefish - Thanks for checking it out - nothing untoward in your results that I can see. Process stats looks very healthy, and the CPU speed governor bug I suspected doesn't seem to be there (reverting to the minimum clock speed as a base after camera use). Looks like Moto have set a pretty high base clock speed (if it's on it's running at 960Mhz) - really surprising that it lags in those circumstances.
    09-02-2015 12:44 AM
    For me I think it depends if things can be fixed in software and if they can whether Motorola support the device properly with timely and regular updates. If they do then I'm happy. Buying a phone as soon as it comes out is always a risk and they all require a few sotware updates before they reach their potential. Who knows, maybe Motorola hadn't quite polished the final software but decided to still release it on schedule with an older build and the plan to update soon after launch. After all articles I have read suggested chop chop for flashlight was removed at the last minute so it may make an appearance in an update soon.

As for build quality issues. Obviously that can't be addressed with an updates but what are they? The buttons are poor no doubt and I mark it down for that but otherwise its excellent with great form factor and in hand feel. If it had better buttons it would be bang on ideal but even without its still up there as one of the best I've owned
    Cakefish likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:19 AM
    Mine arrived yesterday. The phone feels great in the hand and seems much lighter than I thought, easy to use one handed. I haven't noticed any lag so far even while downloading and installing all my apps. Multitasking is great and even "weak" apps that use to be killed soon stay open a long way back in the recent apps list.

Setting a new phone up was good to confirm that I really like Nova Restored my whole setup, including Zooper, and animations are very smooth. With this big screen Nova gestures and Zooper "on tap actions" are more useful than ever.

Here in Brazil they included the Turbo charger in the box, and it's fast Very happy so far.
    Cakefish likes this.
    09-02-2015 06:56 AM
    Awww you get the Turbo Charger included? We Brits are being screwed over. As always with technology and electronics *sigh*

Glad you like it! Welcome to the club

@neu smurph - I think it's the GPU that's not quite powerful enough to display the animations at FHD entirely smoothly. I don't think it's an issue with the CPU.

Javier P likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:04 AM
    The only build quality issue I have are those slightly loose buttons. Yes, they are a minor annoyance, but I'm quickly becoming accustomed to them. They feel comfortable to use, it's just the noise they occasionally make in quiet environments that can mildly irritate. The rest of the phone feels very solid and robust though.

Yeah, chop chop needs to come back to make this phone feel complete. Why? Only because the cheaper Moto G has the feature. Motorola really needs to add it in an update ASAP! We should pester them about this, not let them forget!

And yes, animation smoothness isn't as slick as I originally had hoped but it could potentially be improved with future updates. Gotta have hope!
    09-02-2015 07:12 AM
    Yeah, the physical buttons are a bit loose and look a bit cheap. I like the size and position though. With the Active display and my lock screen app I won't be using those buttons much so it doesn't bother me.
    09-02-2015 07:17 AM
    Thanks. Yeah, weird that they didn't include it in the UK. And here I managed to buy the X for just 55$ more than the G with 2gb. Phones are very expensive in Brazil but with the X Play they managed to offer a very good price.
    Cakefish likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:52 AM
    I haven't tried any games on my play but I've heard most run pretty well which makes it seem strange that the GPU can handle games but not simple animations in the UI.

I'm still hopeful Motorola can fix it through software updates. It won't let me check for updates now saying check later whereas before it said I was up to date so maybe something is being prepared....??! Of course probably not!

Cakefish likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:58 AM
    So mine just turned up today. Going to have a play about with it tonight to see if it's going to stay. Is there any camera apps people recommend as the touch to take photos as opposed to focus and then use a button to take seems like it could be a pain.
    09-02-2015 07:59 AM
216 ... 56789