Moto X Play: Various Reviews

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
It's not likely at all to be a hardware fault, just that everyone's tolerances to 'lag' is different. If you're moving over from a faster phone, like I am, then you're more likely to notice it (as I do); but if you're upgrading from a slower phone then it will seen like the fastest thing in the universe. It's all relative :)

And yeah, I have high hopes that Android Marshmallow will help performance.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Good points. Just surprises me pure android still has lags for simple task. I understand if running heavy games and multi tasking but basic animations or scrolling is a surprise to me

Posted via the Android Central App

Cptanarchy

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello Guys,

I want to get rid of my old LG G3 and at first I was really attracted by the Galaxy S6 because of its great build quality and materials.

So I ordered the 64 GB Version and have been fiddeling around with it for almost five days but I am a bit dissapointed because of the poor ram management.

How does the Moto X Play perform when multitasking?

Are there many lags when switching between apps or does it close apps as soon as you are starting ram hungry stuff like Chrome?

Maybe there is somone who has both devices at hand and can compare them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greetings

Cptanarchy

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Good points. Just surprises me pure android still has lags for simple task. I understand if running heavy games and multi tasking but basic animations or scrolling is a surprise to me

The Material Design UI animations are GPU dependant and the Adreno 405 is not the best at handling demanding content at the 1080p native resolution that the Play has. This is the cause of the occasional choppy animations. Google hopefully have optimised this as Nexus owners report much smoother operation in day to day tasks from the Android Marshmallow Developer Previews, as I've already mentioned.

Hello Guys,

I want to get rid of my old LG G3 and at first I was really attracted by the Galaxy S6 because of its great build quality and materials.

So I ordered the 64 GB Version and have been fiddeling around with it for almost five days but I am a bit dissapointed because of the poor ram management.

How does the Moto X Play perform when multitasking?

Are there many lags when switching between apps or does it close apps as soon as you are starting ram hungry stuff like Chrome?

Maybe there is somone who has both devices at hand and can compare them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greetings

Cptanarchy

I just tested it for you. The following apps were all open before it finally decided to start reloading apps;

Tapatalk
Chrome (2 tabs of GSMArena)
Gmail
YouTube
Facebook
BBC News
BBC iPlayer
Google Maps
Messenger
Amazon
Play Store

So it only started to kill background apps once over 10 were open at the same time.

I haven't noticed any difference between the multitasking capabilities of this phone and the Nexus 5.

Hope this helps :)

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Question for Moto X play user?

My uncle going to the trip to London next Tuesday and I want him to buy me Moto X play but I have some questions
1. How is the build quality? Is the phone feel cheap?
2. How the screen quality?
3.How is the phone run on 615 processor?
4 Is the body very thick because the battery size?

I don't mind for LTE in my area H+ is still very fast..

Thanks.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Question for Moto X play user?

My uncle going to the trip to London next Tuesday and I want him to buy me Moto X play but I have some questions
1. How is the build quality? Is the phone feel cheap?
2. How the screen quality?
3.How is the phone run on 615 processor?
4 Is the body very thick because the battery size?

I don't mind for LTE in my area H+ is still very fast..

Thanks.

1) Yes. It feels robust and solid. Only aspect that feels cheap are the power and volume buttons. They are slightly loose fitting and while this doesn't affect actually using them at all, it does occasionally mean that they produce a slight audible rattle depending on how you are holding the phone. That is literally my only complaint about the build quality.
2) It's great. Nice and bright. Colours look nice and saturated. Contrast is high. It's nice and sharp too. Compared to the Nexus 5 display, it's definitely a slight improvement. It's not an AMOLED, but it's one of the best FHD IPS LCDs out there.
3) Not as fast as the Nexus 5 and the Snapdragon 800, but it's not horrible experience either. Animations are a bit choppier than you would expect from a modern flagship. The majority of 3D games run fine, just again, not quite as well as the Nexus 5. In terms of multitasking, it's a champ and can handle plenty of apps running at once (including Chrome) without purging background apps from memory.
4) It's 10.9mm thick at its thickest point, but doesn't feel it because it's curved. It feels very ergonomic and comfortable to hold in the hand.

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

Hihi

i have two questions for the floor / current users of Moto X Play ...

1) does Moto X Play support RAW Format?

2) Does Moto X Play support aptX ?

thanks!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Hihi

i have two questions for the floor / current users of Moto X Play ...

1) does Moto X Play support RAW Format?

2) Does Moto X Play support aptX ?

thanks!
1) No (at least in the stock Moto camera app).

2) Not sure. How can I check?

Last edited:

RolandriE

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I am really frustrated with the performance of the Moto X Play right now.

So much so that I made a video about it:)

Please chime in if your devices perform as badly as mine. I am used to Nexus devices with really smooth animations and scrolling.

Youtube: /watch?v=JoA4dGGUQRQ "Moto X Play Performance Issues and Lag"

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I am really frustrated with the performance of the Moto X Play right now.

So much so that I made a video about it:)

Please chime in if your devices perform as badly as mine. I am used to Nexus devices with really smooth animations and scrolling.

Youtube: /watch?v=JoA4dGGUQRQ "Moto X Play Performance Issues and Lag"

Thanks for the video. That matches my experiences exactly and looks like the same as Alex on the android central review. Seems strange that for some it is performing much better as I can't believe that people wouldn't notice this. Have to assume/hope it can be addressed with a software update as in all other ways I'm really pleased with it

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I am not getting this level of lag and I don't understand why they would be so different. I do get Chrome lag but only really noticed it when someone else pointed it out and I tried a few sites, this was fixed with an adblocker programme.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Are we all on the same software version? Mine is 23.21.10 as in the android central review and I get the lag. Maybe some have a newer build that we'll all get pushed soon?

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Are we all on the same software version? Mine is 23.21.10 as in the android central review and I get the lag. Maybe some have a newer build that we'll all get pushed soon?

I'm on the same.

Attachments

• 8795.jpg
    8795.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 30

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Same software version here. By the way I had some Motorola app updates (including Moto app, Gallery app, Camera app and more) that I could install but Google Play Store didn't automatically install these updates for me. I came across them accidentally when searching for Motorola apps in the Play Store. Updated them all. Gallery and Camera apps get some new features and the rest offer bug fixes, so worth installing.

More performance tips for ya guys/gals:

1) If you're using Adguard and want the permanent notification gone, there's a way to do that. First, go the settings menu in the app, navigate to general and find the notification setting in the list. Simple as that!

2) If you want to improve the experience even further using Adguard you can go to settings, navigate to advanced and tick the box that says 'Filter DNS requests'. This has improved performance further and has seemingly decreased the battery impact of Adguard slightly.

3) If you want to use an alternative to Adguard you can download Firefox and use any one of the adblocking add ons. Probably Adblock is the best bet as that has been specifically optimised for Android. This has the benefit of not requiring the permanent VPN icon.

4) Another alternative is Adblock Browser, currently in beta. A simple Google search will lead you to the download link. This is based upon the Firefox browser so the experience is largely the same as going the Firefox + add on route.

5) To improve launcher animations (notably the app drawer expand/contract animation) you can install Nova Launcher from the Play Store. This seems to be better optimised than the Google Now launcher. Animations in the launcher become noticeably smoother. I think this last point is really important as it shows that software optimisation can really help improve performance on this device, so there is hope that future updates to various apps will boost animation smoothness and general responsiveness.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on the Motorola app updates. Strange that they don't show up automatically

aceytrixx

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience comparing this to an iPhone 5s? Particularly in the camera and general snapiness. I'm thinking of returning to android (I've always had a nexus 7 tablet so I've not been completely androidless during my time in ios land) but I'm planning to buy the next one outright and the price point of this makes it appealing.

Also a comparison to a nexus 7 2013 would be useful.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience comparing this to an iPhone 5s? Particularly in the camera and general snapiness. I'm thinking of returning to android (I've always had a nexus 7 tablet so I've not been completely androidless during my time in ios land) but I'm planning to buy the next one outright and the price point of this makes it appealing.

Also a comparison to a nexus 7 2013 would be useful.

Just so happens that my brother has the iPhone 5S and my mum has the Nexus 7 2013! I'm not kidding.

OK, so first the iPhone 5S. Camera? Better on Moto X Play. No doubt. Just better in every way imaginable. Snappiness? Have to give it to the iPhone. It's iOS, if there's one thing that OS is known for, it's smooth performance.

Nexus 7 2013? Pretty much identical performance to be honest, when both are running Lollipop 5.1.1.

aceytrixx

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Just so happens that my brother has the iPhone 5S and my mum has the Nexus 7 2013! I'm not kidding.

OK, so first the iPhone 5S. Camera? Better on Moto X Play. No doubt. Just better in every way imaginable. Snappiness? Have to give it to the iPhone. It's iOS, if there's one thing that OS is known for, it's smooth performance.

Nexus 7 2013? Pretty much identical performance to be honest, when both are running Lollipop 5.1.1.

OK well if the play camera is better then I'm sold. Yeah I use my nexus most evenings and have no problems. I assumed the play would be better but just wanted to be sure. Usually go for the flagship model but this is the first time I've been drawn to a model that's beneath that. Although my main complaints with every smart phone has been battery life and the most important thing after that is the camera its easy to see why this one is so appealing. Reckon I'll have to look at ordering it tomorrow