Moto X Play: Various Reviews

SuperRobotWars

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm really stuck between the LG G3 and the Moto X Play. Currently both phones are £250 on Amazon. But I really don't know which one to choose if anyone has both phones and can give an honest suggestion it would be greatly appreciated!

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm really stuck between the LG G3 and the Moto X Play. Currently both phones are £250 on Amazon. But I really don't know which one to choose if anyone has both phones and can give an honest suggestion it would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly can't think of a single reason to go for the g3. I owned one for a bit when it first cam out and it had poor signal strength, horrible software skin, the screen was dull and not all that impressive and the battery life wasn't that good. I'm sure it improved with software updates but apart from maybe the camera I don't know what it would offer over the play. The play will also get marshmallow and maybe the update after that whereas the g3 may not

Posted via the Android Central App

SuperRobotWars

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Honestly can't think of a single reason to go for the g3. I owned one for a bit when it first cam out and it had poor signal strength, horrible software skin, the screen was dull and not all that impressive and the battery life wasn't that good. I'm sure it improved with software updates but apart from maybe the camera I don't know what it would offer over the play. The play will also get marshmallow and maybe the update after that whereas the g3 may not

The Moto X play seems to be recommended more than the LG G3. However my only concern about the Moto X play is that it only has a snapdragon 615 compared to the LG G3 which has a snapdragon 801. Although the moto x play seems to have a better GPU. There's just so much to consider when picking a phone :/

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Pretty scathing review from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/motorola-moto-x-play-review/

I don't think it was fair of them to compare the UK price of the Moto X Play with the US price of the Moto X Style. Of course it's going to be more expensive! We Brits always get screwed with pricing!

Also, the reviewer mentioned a lack of PDAF, which has been proven to be false by Motorola themselves a few days ago.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Pretty scathing review from Engadget: Moto X Play review: an unexciting phone with a huge battery

I don't think it was fair of them to compare the UK price of the Moto X Play with the US price of the Moto X Style. Of course it's going to be more expensive! We Brits always get screwed with pricing!

Also, the reviewer mentioned a lack of PDAF, which has been proven to be false by Motorola themselves a few days ago.

I feel as though you keep comparing the price of the UK Moto X Play with the US Moto X Pure Edition though.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The reviews seen much more positive about the style than the play which makes me wonder if I shouldve waited for it to be released. Of course that doesn't change that I think it's too big and I didn't want to spend too much so I probably still made the right decision. It still surprises me though that the general tone of the play reviews are not more positive

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My decision on buying the Play was based on 2 wants:
- a decent camera
- a battery that, regardless of use during the day, only requires charging once each day - i.e. overnight (I work in an office with every poor reception and find that my current Moto X needs charging every afternoon and overnight)

I also felt that the Pure/Style was too big, the Play being not much bigger than my current Moto X. In the end I want a phone that works for me - I don't feel the need for it to have the best camera, the highest resolution screen, be the thinnest, be the fastest. On the last point I just hope the 615 CPU doesn't cause me too many problems, although thanks to these forums there are solutions.

As far as prices go, simply comparing UK/US and adding 20% isn't correct. What about US state tax and UK duty?

I haven't received my Play yet (9th Sept!), but so far I don't regret it :)

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the clove price in the UK for the style, its £100 more than my play from CPW. That is for double the storage and if the style includes the turbo charger in the box as well then the difference isn't maybe so great. But its still £100 at the end of the day and I'm supposed to be saving up for a wedding next year!

I just hope Motorola sort the lag issues out that I'm seeing sooner rather than later. I don't need the fastest phone in the world but jerky scrolling rally shouldn't happen when the moto g doesn't. Then it'll be just about perfect for me.

I too work in an office with poor signal and my one m8 would be down to 15% by the end of the day. The play sadly doesn't do low signal that well either but it still trumps the one m8 giving me enough left to get through the evening too without charging

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I feel as though you keep comparing the price of the UK Moto X Play with the US Moto X Pure Edition though.

Yes, I do as an average British consumer, but he is a professional reviewer and is taking quite a baffling approach to that review.

It's written for an American audience but he is quoting the Play's price in the UK - somewhere that no American would ever purchase a Play from because the European model lacks the necessary LTE bands to work in North America. They would purchase the Canadian model instead, which is $300 USD. He should have compared the Play pricing in Canada (the version that Americans would actually buy) vs the Style pricing in the US.

Otherwise any reviewer could make almost any tech/electronic product look instantly crap and a complete rip-off by simply comparing the UK price vs the US price of a competitor!

The reviews seen much more positive about the style than the play which makes me wonder if I shouldve waited for it to be released. Of course that doesn't change that I think it's too big and I didn't want to spend too much so I probably still made the right decision. It still surprises me though that the general tone of the play reviews are not more positive

Agreed. After handling the Play I think that Style is too big for me. The Play is the maximum size I'd ever want to go with a phone. I'm just talking about the actual physical size, not specifically the screen size.

Looking at the clove price in the UK for the style, its £100 more than my play from CPW. That is for double the storage and if the style includes the turbo charger in the box as well then the difference isn't maybe so great. But its still £100 at the end of the day and I'm supposed to be saving up for a wedding next year!

I just hope Motorola sort the lag issues out that I'm seeing sooner rather than later. I don't need the fastest phone in the world but jerky scrolling rally shouldn't happen when the moto g doesn't. Then it'll be just about perfect for me.

The Style doesn't include a Turbo Charger. Another user of these forums asked Clove. They said no. So it's a UK specific issue across both the Moto X's, not just Play specific.

Yeah, this phone would be almost perfection if it wasn't for the fact that the G beats it in UI smoothness and having the chop chop gesture. Motorola really needs to sort these two things out. And they mustn't wait until Android 6.0 to do so!

Last edited:

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I recently had a G3 and I agree with others on here the screen is dull certainly compared to my Xperia Z3 but far worse than that is the battery life which was just appalling it really was so I would go for the Play everyday of the week over the G3.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm beginning to find a new issue. One that's not in anyway Motorola's fault.

The size. Despite this being the smallest 5.5" device out there, I'm definitely feeling the added bulk. It sticks out of my pockets just a little bit. It doesn't feel as comfortable to have in my pockets. Granted, this is almost entirely due to the protective sleeve I have for it but I don't think I'll ever be able to carry a phone out and about entirely naked - I'm too OCD about keeping my phones looking like new.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm beginning to find a new issue. One that's not in anyway Motorola's fault.

The size. Despite this being the smallest 5.5" device out there, I'm definitely feeling the added bulk. It sticks out of my pockets just a little bit. It doesn't feel as comfortable to have in my pockets. Granted, this is almost entirely due to the protective sleeve I have for it but I don't think I'll ever be able to carry a phone out and about entirely naked - I'm too OCD about keeping my phones looking like new.

Tempered glass screen protector and then naked it's the way to go!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I do as an average British consumer, but he is a professional reviewer and is taking quite a baffling approach to that review.

It's written for an American audience but he is quoting the Play's price in the UK - somewhere that no American would ever purchase a Play from because the European model lacks the necessary LTE bands to work in North America. They would purchase the Canadian model instead, which is $300 USD. He should have compared the Play pricing in Canada (the version that Americans would actually buy) vs the Style pricing in the US.

Otherwise any reviewer could make almost any tech/electronic product look instantly crap and a complete rip-off by simply comparing the UK price vs the US price of a competitor!

But my point is you seem to be making the Moto X Play look like a rip off by comparing it to the price of the US Moto X Pure Edition - including accessories that it does or doesn't come with.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
But my point is you seem to be making the Moto X Play look like a rip off by comparing it to the price of the US Moto X Pure Edition - including accessories that it does or doesn't come with.
Fair point. I'm probably being too harsh on Motorola. They're certainly not the only company that increases their pricing considerably for the UK. And yes, I know that taxes have a lot to do with that. I suppose I should just be used to it by now, but it always depresses me knowing just how much cheaper things cost over in the US. I do envy you Americans and your cheap, cheap prices of technology and electronic goods! :)

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I am waiting on Gsmareana for their review.

Seem to be a bit late.

I am interested in what Endurance they will give Moto x play in the battery life test.

Posted by my Superia z2

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Side by side speed tests vs Nexus 6 and LG G4

I don't have enough points to post links, but in youtube search Tech Trinkets Moto X Play vs Nexus 6 and Tech Trinkets Moto X Play vs LG G

These are great videos to see for those concerned about reports of performance issues (like me) For all the mixed opinions, theres nothing like seeing the phone in action side by side with other phones to see for yourself

the Moto X Play seems to match up pretty well against the Nexus 6 in basic tasks, but lags behind a fair bit when loading games

Interestingly the Moto X Play beats the G4 in a lot of basic tasks and is only a little behind the G4 loading games

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
One problem i have with Moto X Play is the extremely low resolution display. Its so pixelated and grainy. The lowly 400 ppi just doesn't cut it. /s

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
One problem i have with Moto X Play is the extremely low resolution display. Its so pixelated and grainy. The lowly 400 ppi just doesn't cut it. /s

Maybe you are looking at the device too closely

1080p shouldn't be a problem at that size for resolution.

Posted by my Superia z2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463