10-18-2015 02:53 AM
85 1234
tools
    Can someone who uses Google now do me a favour. If Google services shows in your battery usage could you please tell me what the break down if stats is for it such as keep awake and mobile radio active etc. Or provide a screenshot.

Google services is top if my list again. I know with Google now things will be going on and I'm happy with the trade off but not sure if mine is doing too much and using too much battery. Battery life is nowhere near what it was in the first few days I had it so seems something has changed

Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-02-2015 04:56 AM
    So just charged this up to play around and see if it's worth keeping and apparently it's only expected to last 11hrs? How accurate is that guess?
    Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-1441210439791.jpg  
    09-02-2015 12:15 PM
    So just charged this up to play around and see if it's worth keeping and apparently it's only expected to last 11hrs? How accurate is that guess?
    Because it doesn't have anything to go off yet especially if that's your first charge

09-02-2015 12:39 PM
    Because it doesn't have anything to go off yet especially if that's your first charge

Figured it night be something like that! I'll continue to play around and install what I need and see how it all goes
    09-02-2015 12:43 PM
    So I couldn't figure out the cause of my Google services drain so I did a factory reset last night. Didn't have too many apps installed so not too much of a hassle. I installed just one app - what's app, and updated all pre installed. Charged over night. Then about 10 minutes after leaving the house today I checked and Google services was top of the battery list and it has remained there all day. So basically no change!

I can only think it must be Google now which i don't want to turn off so just the way it is I suppose!

09-03-2015 09:52 AM
    Today I got 7 hours and 45 minutes SOT. That was at 50% brightness (adaptive), WiFi on, 4G on, GPS on and making a lengthy call to my mum, which really gobbled up a lot of battery power (14%!). So the battery longevity continues to impress me.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    ewak12321 likes this.
    09-03-2015 04:51 PM
    Today I got 7 hours and 45 minutes SOT. That was at 50% brightness (adaptive), WiFi on, 4G on, GPS on and making a lengthy call to my mum, which really gobbled up a lot of battery power (14%!). So the battery longevity continues to impress me.

Do you use Google now? I've got 3hr 46 screen on time with 11% left. Really disappointing! But Google services are my top drainer at 14% and I don't know why. Google now is the only thing I think of as I don't have many other apps installed

09-03-2015 04:58 PM
    Do you use Google now? I've got 3hr 46 screen on time with 11% left. Really disappointing! But Google services are my top drainer at 14% and I don't know why. Google now is the only thing I think of as I don't have many other apps installed

Yeah I do (I think it's great), but I live in the centre of a city so I usually have decent enough signal strength. So it could be that.

I had significant Google Services related drain on my first day too. So it's definitely fixable as long as it's not being caused by poor signal strength. One of the things I did after that first day was to try and limit the number of times my apps were collecting my location, especially the BBC weather app. Maybe worth a try if you have any weather app?

09-03-2015 05:04 PM
    Thanks. I'm not sure what it is. Even with pretty much no apps installed Google services is straight to the top of this list and that's as soon as I leave home and get away from WiFi. Even in a good signal area.

Signal at work is poor where I've spent most of the day but mobile standby has used 7%, half that of Google services which doesn't really make sense.

What does your Google services look like after a day of use?

Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-147.jpg  
    09-03-2015 05:11 PM
    Right at the bottom of the list with 2%:

Google Services (as opposed to Play Services) doesn't even show up on my list today.

I'm going to suggest installing GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store (it's free). I have it installed and it offers up more detailed info on which apps are using the battery. Nice Material Design UI too.

09-03-2015 06:12 PM
    Right at the bottom of the list with 2%:

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...a47d2b9f2a.jpg

Google Services (as opposed to Play Services) doesn't even show up on my list today.

I'm going to suggest installing GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store (it's free). I have it installed and it offers up more detailed info on which apps are using the battery. Nice Material Design UI too.

Thanks. I have used gsam on all my phones in the past but I had hoped (foolishly) that it wouldn't be needed with stock and android and a huge battery! Will see if I can figure anything out. If Google services didn't figure as a battery drain I'd easily be getting double the SOT I expect

Cakefish likes this.
    09-04-2015 01:50 AM
    Good battery life 👍
    8 hours is something i would consider pretty good. But also consider that your phone is brand new. Battery life will decrease after a few weeks to few months but it will certainly decrease.
    I used to consistently get 8 hrs of SOT on my Moto E as well when it was new. Now its reduced to about 6 to 7 hours and my usage pattern has been the same.
    Currently Droid Turbo is still the reigning and defending Motorola Battery Heavyweight Champion
    09-04-2015 12:15 PM

That's impressive. I may have to cancel my order for pure edition. It seems like play edition might work better.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    09-04-2015 01:09 PM
    Got so hacked off with Google services this morning that I performed a factory reset again. Just installed what's app and app updates for the preinstalled apps. Nothing else installed.

Thought things were a little better but ultimately Google services is straight back up there so it seems there is nothing I can do. I think it's the location reporting going on as it gets worse when moving around on the mobile network. Maybe the radios aren't shutting off properly or something. I don't see how to switch off location reporting any more but I imagine it would break Google now anyway so I would rather use it. I should be able to with a battery like this.

I'm stumped on this one. Will have to wait to see if a Google play services update can fix it in the future or I might contact Motorola to see if they have anything to say about it.

09-04-2015 01:12 PM
    I have had this. Look on the play store for a google services fix app. Gfix I think it was. It worked for me, however I did have to use it a couple of times.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-04-2015 04:23 PM
    I have had this. Look on the play store for a google services fix app. Gfix I think it was. It worked for me, however I did have to use it a couple of times.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at this and wondered about trying it. Have actually tried uninstalling Google play services and then updating it again so will see how things go tomorrow to see if that has helped first

Teejai80 likes this.
    09-04-2015 05:46 PM
    I tried that as well but it didn't work for me. Apparently it can cause issues as well. Good luck.

Oh and my drain lasted a week or so and then magically went away

09-04-2015 05:59 PM
    Got so hacked off with Google services this morning that I performed a factory reset again. Just installed what's app and app updates for the preinstalled apps. Nothing else installed.

Thought things were a little better but ultimately Google services is straight back up there so it seems there is nothing I can do. I think it's the location reporting going on as it gets worse when moving around on the mobile network. Maybe the radios aren't shutting off properly or something. I don't see how to switch off location reporting any more but I imagine it would break Google now anyway so I would rather use it. I should be able to with a battery like this.

I'm stumped on this one. Will have to wait to see if a Google play services update can fix it in the future or I might contact Motorola to see if they have anything to say about it.

I've just received my Play and so far loving it. No noticeable lag (certainly nothing more than the occasional glitch just like I had on my Moto X 2014 - although I haven't used Chrome much yet). I'll post my battery stats over the next few days - one from the weekend when I should have good signal or on wifi, and one from work where the signal is terrible. I'll include Google services stats as well. Got the phone yesterday evening, setup last night and charged overnight. At the moment Google Services is second in the list at 4%. Battery is 69%, 15 hours left. I remember when I got the Moto X 2014 I had terrible battery problems for the first week or so, but things settled down.
    09-05-2015 09:54 AM
    Google Chrome just got a lot faster - Google Chrome just got a lot faster
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/48833836.cms via @timesofindia

09-05-2015 10:52 AM
    Day One battery stats - WiFi and decent mobile signal.

Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-10772.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-10773.jpg  
    09-06-2015 03:20 AM
    Looks like you have similar Google services performance to me. Mine only seems to come on when I leave WiFi in the morning and the phone goes on to the mobile network. When I check battery stats some time later, Google services will be top and with the Google app second with a load of mobile radio active time and keep awake.

I guess this is to do with Google now and location reporting but I've had these turned on on previous phones and haven't seen the problem.

09-06-2015 09:51 AM
    If someone have google services battery drain try this free app it fixed mine problems with google services

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ks.gservicefix

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    09-06-2015 10:23 AM
    If someone have google services battery drain try this free app it fixed mine problems with google services

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ks.gservicefix

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    Any idea how this app actually works? What does it do as it didn't require root

09-06-2015 12:47 PM
    Bluetooth headphones whilst streaming play music will also kill the battery.

As will tethering....

09-06-2015 04:04 PM
    Any idea how this app actually works? What does it do as it didn't require root

Hocus pocus?

lol, I have seen that answered once, I'll see if I can track down the post for you.
    09-06-2015 05:54 PM
85 1234