Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery life impressions!

I have had this. Look on the play store for a google services fix app. Gfix I think it was. It worked for me, however I did have to use it a couple of times.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at this and wondered about trying it. Have actually tried uninstalling Google play services and then updating it again so will see how things go tomorrow to see if that has helped first

Posted via the Android Central App

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I tried that as well but it didn't work for me. Apparently it can cause issues as well. Good luck.

Oh and my drain lasted a week or so and then magically went away

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Got so hacked off with Google services this morning that I performed a factory reset again. Just installed what's app and app updates for the preinstalled apps. Nothing else installed.

Thought things were a little better but ultimately Google services is straight back up there so it seems there is nothing I can do. I think it's the location reporting going on as it gets worse when moving around on the mobile network. Maybe the radios aren't shutting off properly or something. I don't see how to switch off location reporting any more but I imagine it would break Google now anyway so I would rather use it. I should be able to with a battery like this.

I'm stumped on this one. Will have to wait to see if a Google play services update can fix it in the future or I might contact Motorola to see if they have anything to say about it.

I've just received my Play and so far loving it. No noticeable lag (certainly nothing more than the occasional glitch just like I had on my Moto X 2014 - although I haven't used Chrome much yet). I'll post my battery stats over the next few days - one from the weekend when I should have good signal or on wifi, and one from work where the signal is terrible. I'll include Google services stats as well. Got the phone yesterday evening, setup last night and charged overnight. At the moment Google Services is second in the list at 4%. Battery is 69%, 15 hours left. I remember when I got the Moto X 2014 I had terrible battery problems for the first week or so, but things settled down.

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Day One battery stats - WiFi and decent mobile signal.

Attachments

• 10772.jpg
    10772.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 10773.jpg
    10773.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 43

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Looks like you have similar Google services performance to me. Mine only seems to come on when I leave WiFi in the morning and the phone goes on to the mobile network. When I check battery stats some time later, Google services will be top and with the Google app second with a load of mobile radio active time and keep awake.

I guess this is to do with Google now and location reporting but I've had these turned on on previous phones and haven't seen the problem.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

Bluetooth headphones whilst streaming play music will also kill the battery.

As will tethering....

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Any idea how this app actually works? What does it do as it didn't require root

Hocus pocus?

lol, I have seen that answered once, I'll see if I can track down the post for you.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Tried turning off location history assuming that would stop the Google services drain and I would accept the limitations it imposes on Google now. Well it made no difference! Google services and Google app still tip of battery stats keeping phone awake and using mobile radio as before.

Not keen on the gfix app until I can find out what it actually does.

Might try updating play services using apk mirror as I think here is a newer version compared to what I have.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've also noticed that Play Services are at the top of the list but only in the stock battery stats. Using Gsam the biggest consumer is Android System and Play services are way down the list. It seems that some processes are located under different apps. I think that big battery usage comes from sync/upload processes.

I've changed the settings in different apps and I'll tell you if I find a difference in the stats. You can check that, by default most apps are syncing in the background and some of them every hour or so!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

After a few hours of heavy use I got this. Impressive!

Attachments

• 1441635214428.jpg
    1441635214428.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

36% battery left with 2 hours 40 screen on time. Batter than my last phone but not what I hoped. Should get me through a day though so I'll stop obsessing about it as google services has really been doing my head in!

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

After first day at work with the Play, I have 38% with 2 hours 41 minutes of SOT - so very similar.

Google Play Services 3rd in the list with 7% Google Services nowhere to be seen.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Have you checked the Google photos sync settings? Try only syncing through WiFi while charging and see if that improves battery life.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Still haven't got to the bottom of the Google services drain. The other day it was less and I got to 4 hours 46 screen on time with 7% left and about 18 hours on standby. But yesterday Google services was back to being the top drainer and screen on time was an hour less.

Still getting better than my old phone but the improvement isn't quite as pronounced as it should be given the increased battery size

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Impressive today. Hitting 4 hours screen on with 28% left which isn't that special but that includes 2 hours of GPS use!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87