Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery life impressions!

Anyone figure out how to stop Google services being a battery hog? It's top on my list today and battery isnt going as well as the other days, 60% remaining with only 1.44 SOT. I've tried rebooting but not sure its helped. Weird....

Posted via the Android Central App

On my Moto X 2014 when battery usage becomes unacceptable I Clear Data in the Download Manager app. Maybe that would help.

Patiently waiting for my Moto X Play to arrive and finally have significantly improved battery and camera.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

4076ae46b812f15af39d063cac17a9f1.jpg

80d70fa2ebbb0c17134df3469e25989f.jpg

Today's looking impressive so far. This is at 50% brightness with adaptive on. WiFi, mobile data and GPS all on.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Down to 31% with just 2 hours 41 screen on time today so disappointing! About 2 hours of music on Google play music and general social media and web browsing. No gaming. To be fair I have a poor signal at work and my one m8 would be down to 15% or less by this stage so I am better off but not quite the results I was seeing over the weekend.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Yes, nothing will drain a smartphone battery faster than poor signal.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Can someone who uses Google now do me a favour. If Google services shows in your battery usage could you please tell me what the break down if stats is for it such as keep awake and mobile radio active etc. Or provide a screenshot.

Google services is top if my list again. I know with Google now things will be going on and I'm happy with the trade off but not sure if mine is doing too much and using too much battery. Battery life is nowhere near what it was in the first few days I had it so seems something has changed

Thanks.

aceytrixx

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

So just charged this up to play around and see if it's worth keeping and apparently it's only expected to last 11hrs? How accurate is that guess?

Attachments

• 1441210439791.jpg
    1441210439791.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 74

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

So just charged this up to play around and see if it's worth keeping and apparently it's only expected to last 11hrs? How accurate is that guess?

Because it doesn't have anything to go off yet especially if that's your first charge

aceytrixx

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

Because it doesn't have anything to go off yet especially if that's your first charge

Figured it night be something like that! I'll continue to play around and install what I need and see how it all goes

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

So I couldn't figure out the cause of my Google services drain so I did a factory reset last night. Didn't have too many apps installed so not too much of a hassle. I installed just one app - what's app, and updated all pre installed. Charged over night. Then about 10 minutes after leaving the house today I checked and Google services was top of the battery list and it has remained there all day. So basically no change!

I can only think it must be Google now which i don't want to turn off so just the way it is I suppose!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Today I got 7 hours and 45 minutes SOT. That was at 50% brightness (adaptive), WiFi on, 4G on, GPS on and making a lengthy call to my mum, which really gobbled up a lot of battery power (14%!). So the battery longevity continues to impress me.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Today I got 7 hours and 45 minutes SOT. That was at 50% brightness (adaptive), WiFi on, 4G on, GPS on and making a lengthy call to my mum, which really gobbled up a lot of battery power (14%!). So the battery longevity continues to impress me.

Do you use Google now? I've got 3hr 46 screen on time with 11% left. Really disappointing! But Google services are my top drainer at 14% and I don't know why. Google now is the only thing I think of as I don't have many other apps installed

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Do you use Google now? I've got 3hr 46 screen on time with 11% left. Really disappointing! But Google services are my top drainer at 14% and I don't know why. Google now is the only thing I think of as I don't have many other apps installed

Yeah I do (I think it's great), but I live in the centre of a city so I usually have decent enough signal strength. So it could be that.

I had significant Google Services related drain on my first day too. So it's definitely fixable as long as it's not being caused by poor signal strength. One of the things I did after that first day was to try and limit the number of times my apps were collecting my location, especially the BBC weather app. Maybe worth a try if you have any weather app?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I'm not sure what it is. Even with pretty much no apps installed Google services is straight to the top of this list and that's as soon as I leave home and get away from WiFi. Even in a good signal area.

Signal at work is poor where I've spent most of the day but mobile standby has used 7%, half that of Google services which doesn't really make sense.

What does your Google services look like after a day of use?

Attachments

• 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 56

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Right at the bottom of the list with 2%:

53188e8eb998611b064e38a47d2b9f2a.jpg

Google Services (as opposed to Play Services) doesn't even show up on my list today.

I'm going to suggest installing GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store (it's free). I have it installed and it offers up more detailed info on which apps are using the battery. Nice Material Design UI too.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Right at the bottom of the list with 2%:

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/53188e8eb998611b064e38a47d2b9f2a.jpg

Google Services (as opposed to Play Services) doesn't even show up on my list today.

I'm going to suggest installing GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store (it's free). I have it installed and it offers up more detailed info on which apps are using the battery. Nice Material Design UI too.

Thanks. I have used gsam on all my phones in the past but I had hoped (foolishly) that it wouldn't be needed with stock and android and a huge battery! Will see if I can figure anything out. If Google services didn't figure as a battery drain I'd easily be getting double the SOT I expect

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Good battery life 👍
8 hours is something i would consider pretty good. But also consider that your phone is brand new. Battery life will decrease after a few weeks to few months but it will certainly decrease.
I used to consistently get 8 hrs of SOT on my Moto E as well when it was new. Now its reduced to about 6 to 7 hours and my usage pattern has been the same.
Currently Droid Turbo is still the reigning and defending Motorola Battery Heavyweight Champion

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

That's impressive. I may have to cancel my order for pure edition. It seems like play edition might work better.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Got so hacked off with Google services this morning that I performed a factory reset again. Just installed what's app and app updates for the preinstalled apps. Nothing else installed.

Thought things were a little better but ultimately Google services is straight back up there so it seems there is nothing I can do. I think it's the location reporting going on as it gets worse when moving around on the mobile network. Maybe the radios aren't shutting off properly or something. I don't see how to switch off location reporting any more but I imagine it would break Google now anyway so I would rather use it. I should be able to with a battery like this.

I'm stumped on this one. Will have to wait to see if a Google play services update can fix it in the future or I might contact Motorola to see if they have anything to say about it.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I have had this. Look on the play store for a google services fix app. Gfix I think it was. It worked for me, however I did have to use it a couple of times.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay