10-18-2015 02:53 AM
85 123 ...
tools
    8 hr 15 mins screen on time. Brightness set to adaptive and slider set around 25% on average. GPS location disabled. WiFi and 4G enabled. Usage: heavy web browsing in Chrome via 4G & WiFi with multiple tabs open, YouTube streaming via WiFi, using Tapatalk, Facebook, BBC News app, Android Central app, browsing the Google Play Store, playing Badland etc.

Additionally, this was achieved without the use of the power saving mode built into Lollipop:

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    belodion, Teejai80 and jephanie like this.
    08-29-2015 07:35 AM
    That is great but I know I wouldn't get that as I like a nice bright screen
    08-29-2015 09:08 AM
    50% brightness yesterday's usage similar to the day before, I could get this to stretch over 2 days.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4378.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4379.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4380.jpg  
    Cakefish, jephanie and belodion like this.
    08-29-2015 11:26 AM
    That is great but I know I wouldn't get that as I like a nice bright screen
    You're probably looking at around 6(ish) hours with higher brightness. Still really impressive. Not many current flagships can boast such endurance.

08-29-2015 12:28 PM
    You're probably looking at around 6(ish) hours with higher brightness. Still really impressive. Not many current flagships can boast such endurance.

I agree with my usage at 50% brightness I could reach 6 hours if I used it that much lol. Currently on 65% battery with 2 hours 21 mins screen time and 10 hours 18 mins mobile standby, this phone is a battery beast so far.

I bought it to mess around with, seriously considering selling my LG G4 and using an Honor 7 (have just ordered one) or my Asus Zenfone 2 as a backup: I often use my back up when I am out shooting sports games as a wireless hotspot and so I don't mind if it gets broken!
    08-29-2015 12:47 PM
    First day battery down to 13% with 4 hours 13 screen time and over 25 and a half hours standby. Pretty happy with that for the first charge!

08-29-2015 05:26 PM
    Today's battery was good again, 4 hours screen time over 16 hours standby and still 39% left.

Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4390.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4391.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4392.jpg  
    jephanie likes this.
    08-29-2015 06:40 PM
    Hey. Can someone do me a tiny favor?
    Please, switch off wifi, bluetooth and all apps that you don't use at a given moment (turn them on only when you use them) and post the battery life after that.

I'm not a heavy user, I use my Droid RAZR Maxx HD (3300mAh battery, almost 3 years old) in that way, and I can score even 7 days of battery life (and I switch it off for the night too).

This screenshot was taken on 23rd July.
    Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-screenshot_2015-07-23-01-28-36.png

Could someone test it this way? I want to buy the X Play but I'm not sure if it's gonna be better than my Droid.
    Cheers and thanks in advance.
    08-30-2015 04:54 AM
    Hey. Can someone do me a tiny favor?
    Please, switch off wifi, bluetooth and all apps that you don't use at a given moment (turn them on only when you use them) and post the battery life after that.

I'm not a heavy user, I use my Droid RAZR Maxx HD (3300mAh battery, almost 3 years old) in that way, and I can score even 7 days of battery life (and I switch it off for the night too).

This screenshot was taken on 23rd July.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-07-23-01-28-36.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	193971

Could someone test it this way? I want to buy the X Play but I'm not sure if it's gonna be better than my Droid.
    Cheers and thanks in advance.
    Sorry but your usage is too different to mine for me to really try that but given how everyone else is getting on despite using the phone a lot, I think you'd have a good shout of achieving similar results if not better with the play

08-30-2015 01:35 PM
    Again impressed with this battery.

Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4404.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-4405.jpg  
    jephanie likes this.
    08-30-2015 05:16 PM
    I personally wouldn't call the X Play a flagship. More like an upper-midranger. The X Style/Pure is the flagship.

That said, that's certainly impressive battery life. Manufacturers need to know that no matter how you can make a phone's hardware much more energy efficient, nothing but a battery that's physically larger in capacity will drastically improve battery life. I'm already tired of the "gimped batteries for a thinner profile" mantra.
    08-31-2015 12:11 AM
    Sorry but your usage is too different to mine for me to really try that but given how everyone else is getting on despite using the phone a lot, I think you'd have a good shout of achieving similar results if not better with the play
    Thanks mate. I was to Wimbledon's Carphone Warehouse today to see the X Play. It's huge, I have mixed feelings if this phone's for me. One handed usage is kinda difficult (got small hands).
    08-31-2015 01:32 PM
    5 hours screen time today and I still have 40% battery left! This is a beast.

Attached Thumbnails Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-8792.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-8793.jpg   Battery life impressions for the Moto X Play-8794.jpg  
    jephanie and Cakefish like this.
    08-31-2015 04:17 PM
    2.5 hours screen on time today and still 65% remaining. 2 days with 5 hours SOT seems easily possible. I'll still charge daily but this sort of battery life needs to be standard nowadays. Such a luxury not having to worry about it!

Cakefish and drone3 like this.
    08-31-2015 04:22 PM
    I personally wouldn't call the X Play a flagship. More like an upper-midranger. The X Style/Pure is the flagship.
    I didn't mean to call the Moto X Play a flagship device. I just meant that the battery life is better than pretty much all of the flagships. Obviously less performance, but for some people battery life is top priority.
    Thanks mate. I was to Wimbledon's Carphone Warehouse today to see the X Play. It's huge, I have mixed feelings if this phone's for me. One handed usage is kinda difficult (got small hands).
    Honestly, I exclusively use mine two handed. I started to gravitate away from one handed use when using the Nexus 5, which for me (I'm short at 5'5" so have tiny hands) was a little too big for comfortable one handed use. Moto X Play certainly is, but this is the smallest 5.5" phone out there because of the small bezels. Other phones with the same screen size, such as the LG G4 and Asus Zenfone 2 are physically bigger than this phone.

5 hours screen time today and I still have 40% battery left! This is a beast.

Amazing!

2.5 hours screen on time today and still 65% remaining. 2 days with 5 hours SOT seems easily possible. I'll still charge daily but this sort of battery life needs to be standard nowadays. Such a luxury not having to worry about it!

Isn't it just? Battery life and the camera are definitely the greatest aspects of this phone.

Mrrikki likes this.
    08-31-2015 05:02 PM
    Anyone figure out how to stop Google services being a battery hog? It's top on my list today and battery isnt going as well as the other days, 60% remaining with only 1.44 SOT. I've tried rebooting but not sure its helped. Weird....

09-01-2015 08:06 AM
    Anyone figure out how to stop Google services being a battery hog? It's top on my list today and battery isnt going as well as the other days, 60% remaining with only 1.44 SOT. I've tried rebooting but not sure its helped. Weird....

I had the same on my first day. Heavy use of the camera whilst the GPS location tag was enabled seemed to be the culprit.
    09-01-2015 08:24 AM
    I had the same on my first day. Heavy use of the camera whilst the GPS location tag was enabled seemed to be the culprit.
    Thanks. I thought I'd read something on here about someone else having the issue. Unfortunately I haven't touched the camera today!

09-01-2015 08:33 AM
    Just out of interest are you normally on WiFi? If you were out shooting a lot of photos then I imagine you were away from WiFi at the time. Just been reading online about Google Services drain when on mobile data. Today is the first day I've been away from WiFi all day since I got the phone and its the first time I've seen Google services so high so maybe there is something in that...

The screen is very efficient in this thing. It's 5th on the battery list with 2 hr 15 on. I'm used to screen always being at the top of the list

09-01-2015 09:54 AM
    I'd say I use WiFi and mobile data in roughly equal amounts, though the phone spends more time idling whilst connected to WiFi than just mobile data alone.

I think the heavy Google Services use is primarily caused by location services. Check your apps to make sure they aren't constantly requesting GPS location.

Yeah, with my Nexus 5, the screen was always number 1 battery drain, without fail. Shows what two years of technological advancements can do to power consumption!

09-01-2015 10:14 AM

On my Moto X 2014 when battery usage becomes unacceptable I Clear Data in the Download Manager app. Maybe that would help.

Patiently waiting for my Moto X Play to arrive and finally have significantly improved battery and camera.

09-01-2015 01:19 PM

Today's looking impressive so far. This is at 50% brightness with adaptive on. WiFi, mobile data and GPS all on.

09-01-2015 01:52 PM
    Down to 31% with just 2 hours 41 screen on time today so disappointing! About 2 hours of music on Google play music and general social media and web browsing. No gaming. To be fair I have a poor signal at work and my one m8 would be down to 15% or less by this stage so I am better off but not quite the results I was seeing over the weekend.

09-01-2015 02:19 PM
    Poor signal is a killer for batteries.
    09-01-2015 03:07 PM
    Yes, nothing will drain a smartphone battery faster than poor signal.

09-01-2015 07:34 PM
85 123 ...