I was pretty set on purchasing a Moto X Play... until I started hearing about lag/stuttering issues. I was drawn to the Moto X Play mostly because of stock android in the hope that it would provide a fast and slick interface. I'm not interested in much gaming on my phone, more so just listening to podcasts, browsing the web and social media, checking emails etc. - light stuff. Would a user like me have much issue with the X Play's stuttering?

If so, would I be better off just getting this year's Moto G? I am a poor student so I'm limited to buying a phone on contract and nowhere in the UK seems to offer the 16GB G with the 2GB of RAM, so I am also fearful of seeing stuttering on the 1GB version. It would also be sad to give up the 1080p screen and beast of battery that comes with the Moto X Play.

Any advice?
    09-07-2015 11:49 AM
    I think the model with 2gb of RAM is being sold only through Motorola site so it's going to be difficult finding it on a contract. That extra gb will make a big difference with multitasking.

I've been using the X Play for a few days and didn't notice any lag and just a couple of animation stutters, but barely noticeable. The phone is fast and multitasking is a breeze keeping a long list of apps in the memory. I think some reviews about this phone are a bit unfair. It's a mid-range phone great value for money.
    09-07-2015 12:11 PM
    If Motorola can fix the stuttering on the play then you would be better going for it in my opinion over the G. However that assumes moto fix it. If they don't then for a lag free experience you might be better off with the G.

Some people say the play is fine so they are either oblivious to lag or some models are OK and its a lottery as to what u get. I don't game on my phone and I thought stock android would be fine on the spec of the play but in its current form it isn't and the longer I have it the more buyers remorse increases a little. Although ultimately I am still happy I got it.

The moto g has a lower resolution screen but also a lower spec processor. I see no reason why this thing can't run smoothly, I just hope Motorola make the effort to fix the software so it does so

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-07-2015 12:13 PM
    I think it's all relative. I think all phones have occasional lag stutter. It depends on if your used of budget phones or premium phones, and if a little stutter annoys you or not. To me in my short time with this phone it is nice and smooth and I'm loving it. I have an oppo r7 (also 615 processor) and nexus 6 at the moment. It feels smoother than the r7 but not quite as snappy as the nexus 6. The other thing to consider is sure you will notice a difference going from premium to this phone in the first few days, but its likely you'll forget it after a few days. Well this is how it was for me using an r7 after nexus 6

I've heard the battery on moto g is very good and 720p would be fine on a 5 inch screen. If you like 5 inch screens and are happy with a good battery (but not quite as good as the play) I say save your money. If you want a big screen and an awesome battery go the play
    09-07-2015 11:40 PM
    I would not get the 1GB RAM / 8GB Moto G over the Play. I would (and am) considering the 2GB RAM /16GB G over the Play.

The 2GB is available on Moto Maker in the UK- currently £189.
    09-08-2015 01:19 AM
    I think the model with 2gb of RAM is being sold only through Motorola site so it's going to be difficult finding it on a contract. That extra gb will make a big difference with multitasking.

It'll arrive in general retail: Moto are just lining there pockets in the meantime before they make it more generally available.
    09-08-2015 04:25 PM
    I also feared when purchasing my moto x play. But after using it I must say there is minor lag across the OS and many people cant even notice it. If you were using a high end phone before you sure will be noticing the lag otherwise it will be a lag free device in your case.
    Install nova launcher though. It fixed some of the minor lag issues which some people have experienced.....
    09-30-2015 05:40 AM
    Or option 3 don't get on contract and use your student loan

10-01-2015 08:06 AM
    Running Nova for a launcher and Firefox for a browser I have no noticeable lag on my 16gb play.

Posted via my Moto x
    10-01-2015 10:55 AM
    If Motorola can fix the stuttering on the play then you would be better going for it in my opinion over the G. However that assumes moto fix it. If they don't then for a lag free experience you might be better off with the G.

Some people say the play is fine so they are either oblivious to lag or some models are OK and its a lottery as to what u get. I don't game on my phone and I thought stock android would be fine on the spec of the play but in its current form it isn't and the longer I have it the more buyers remorse increases a little. Although ultimately I am still happy I got it.

The moto g has a lower resolution screen but also a lower spec processor. I see no reason why this thing can't run smoothly, I just hope Motorola make the effort to fix the software so it does so

IMO these minor lags are present on all the moto x play handsets. It's just who noticed it and who doesn't. Many people using it as a daily driver but doesn't notices it's stutters and if they came across they don't even bother.
    So when they are asked about that they say it's lag free. But some power users like us notices the same lags and and gets bothered by it.
    I think Motorola will going to fix these issues although it's not their flagship but it's their highest mid range flagship device and Motorola is well know for their end user support.
    And marshmallow update will only going to sweeten the pot.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    10-02-2015 02:28 AM
    I notice the stutter a little and occasional lag, but not to the point where I want to go back to my Nexus 5. But oh man that battery life is awesome. I use my phone a lot for reading books so screen on time is high with me. Where the Nexus 5 would be done by about 2 in the afternoon, my Play goes two solid days! Battery life has also improved with time. The Play is a chunky phone. Nice in my normal male sized hands but maybe a bit big for women? It is also quite heavy. Can't have a big battery and a light weight I guess . . . . .

10-04-2015 03:43 AM