Does the Moto X Play have performance issues (Snapdragon 615)?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if the performance issues on the play (lag) are fixable in software by Motorola or is it hardware related (CPU or GPU limitations?). I'm really happy with everything about the phone except the performance. And the performance issues are actually quite annoying to me.

Reading the thread about people returning their phones has got me wondering whether to do the same and to wait for something else such as the next nexus instead.

If moto can fix it then I'd rather keep it and wait for the update but if it'll stay like this for the next year then I'm not so sure...

Posted via the Android Central App

cmenon12

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Reviews on the processor for the Moto X Play (Snapgragon 615)

Hi,

I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about the Snapdragon 615. I do know that it is a mid range processor, and that the X Play is an android phone with no bloatware/skins to slow it down.

So I'm asking people who have the device either in their pocket/hand/home/desk/ownership etc - How good are the processing speeds for real world usage? Is there much/any lag or stuttering? And eh u can you do on the phone before it reaches it's limits?

Thanks so much

C

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X Play Processing reviews

I've had the phone for 12 days now, and have not had any problems. I get the occasional stutter but nothing that bothers me and no more than I had with my Moto X 2014 (Play probably is a bit smoother if anything).

I use Google Now launcher. Considered Nova as people have mentioned this runs smoother, but I didn't feel the need to change. I am using Firefox, with an ad blocker plug in.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've been using the phone for a couple of weeks and it runs fine. No lag and just a couple of animation stutters sometimes but barely noticeable. Performance is pretty good and improving with use. Battery life was great from day one and getting better after everything is settling in. And yeah, I find that things run a bit smoother with Nova.

I'm quite happy with this phone. Definitely great value for money.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if I have a lemon but the phone definitely lags. It's generally fast at opening apps but there are constant stutters in performance. Something like the settings menu scrolls fine but something like gmail or chrome is slow and jerky. Have to admit I'm disappointed.

If moto can fix this in a software update then it doesn't matter and I'm happy. I really enjoy everything else about the phone. If the processor simply can't power a 1080 screen and it'll always be like this then I will really regret my purchase.

The fact that some people say it is fine is confusing. Either people have different perceptions of smooth or there are genuine variations in performance. If that's the case then whether that is hardware or software related is hard to say

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if I have a lemon but the phone definitely lags. It's generally fast at opening apps but there are constant stutters in performance. Something like the settings menu scrolls fine but something like gmail or chrome is slow and jerky. Have to admit I'm disappointed.

If moto can fix this in a software update then it doesn't matter and I'm happy. I really enjoy everything else about the phone. If the processor simply can't power a 1080 screen and it'll always be like this then I will really regret my purchase.

The fact that some people say it is fine is confusing. Either people have different perceptions of smooth or there are genuine variations in performance. If that's the case then whether that is hardware or software related is hard to say

Very strange. I just tried Gmail. No stuttering in the list of emails or individual emails. Didn't really have a problem with Chrome either.

I have to agree with Javier, happy with the phone and battery life is great.

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Maybe your request has been answered. Haven't tried it yet, waiting for the update to appear.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/androidcentral/~3/7MLXXTvZGEs/story01.htm

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Maybe your request has been answered. Haven't tried it yet, waiting for the update to appear.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/androidcentral/~3/7MLXXTvZGEs/story01.htm

That's interesting. I've been using Nova from day one so I can't tell if this makes the Play smoother with G Now. I've only noticed one change after the update. The Google search bar is not in the recent apps overview now and that's pretty good for me. I removed the bar with Nova and the transition from the overview to my home screen was a bit jumpy. Not anymore :)

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Haven't got the new update yet waiting for Google rather than going to apk mirror.

Looking forward to the improvements as have to say this is probably the laggiest android phone I've owned. The Google applications seem to be worse. How does anyone else get on with play music for example? It is so slow its painful to use. When selecting text in gmail the selection can't even keep up with my finger.

I wonder if there is something wrong with my phone which is such a shame as I'm happy with every other aspect. It is all perfectly usable just disappointing for a phone so close to stock especially given the moto G runs so well

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Great to hear that the situation was improved so quickly by this coincidental timing of the Google update. I knew it was obviously a software issue ever since I tried out the much smoother Nova launcher.

Brian Stewart1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about the Snapdragon 615. I do know that it is a mid range processor, and that the X Play is an android phone with no bloatware/skins to slow it down.

So I'm asking people who have the device either in their pocket/hand/home/desk/ownership etc - How good are the processing speeds for real world usage? Is there much/any lag or stuttering? And eh u can you do on the phone before it reaches it's limits?

Thanks so much

C

Yeah i'm starting to get lag unfortunately :-(

general lag as well (so just standard every day lag)

I'm using Action Launcher 3

i may try switching to a lighter launcher to see if that improves things but i dont see the 615 being very future proof if u ask me

Moto x 2014 would be a better device IMO

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Haven't got the new update yet waiting for Google rather than going to apk mirror.

Looking forward to the improvements as have to say this is probably the laggiest android phone I've owned. The Google applications seem to be worse. How does anyone else get on with play music for example? It is so slow its painful to use. When selecting text in gmail the selection can't even keep up with my finger.

I wonder if there is something wrong with my phone which is such a shame as I'm happy with every other aspect. It is all perfectly usable just disappointing for a phone so close to stock especially given the moto G runs so well

I'm also still waiting for update. I'm beginning to think you must have a dud. I don't use Play Music but just tried selecting text in Gmail - zero lag.

Can you return it and get a replacement?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm also still waiting for update. I'm beginning to think you must have a dud. I don't use Play Music but just tried selecting text in Gmail - zero lag.

Can you return it and get a replacement?

Find it hard to believe it's faulty as some things are fine. Such as scrolling the conversation list in gmail is fine but scrolling within a message is slow and stutters. Google maps works well but sliding in the side menu is laggy. Chrome is fine on some sites but almost unusable on others. Google photos is jerky when scrolling on a zoomed in photo but the moto gallery is fine.

It screams of software optimisation problems to me but I don't understand why it doesn't affect everyone

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I think it's more to do with what constitutes as 'lag' being very subjective and varying from person to person.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've double checked all those apps and I see what you mean, but only with Gmail. Chrome, photos and maps are OK. In Gmail the list scrolls really smoothly but inside a long mail it is a bit jumpy. Nothing terrible though.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

For me, the launcher app drawer animation stutter was my biggest annoyance with the performance. So it's great that it's been solved.

thespinner

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

So I got fed up with waiting for the update to appear and have downloaded the Google 5.3 apk.

Everything seems fine, smooth without lag - but then again I wasn't noticing any lag before. App drawer animation is much better now, there is animation rather than a flicker when it opens and closes. Also both app drawer and widget list scroll vertically which I prefer.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Ah, now this is exactly what I'm talking about.

You say you didn't notice any lag before and then say that the animation drawer was stuttery.

This isn't a personal attack by the way, it just goes to show how subjective this kind of thing is.

Everyone has different definitions about what lag/stutter/choppiness/performance issues actually consist of.

Some others would lump the animation stutter in with the general descriptor of 'lag'.

I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, because it's subjective thing so the answer is no one is right or wrong - that's the point I'm making.

Again, not meaning to criticise or attack anyone here. Just want to make that crystal clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar