Motorola moto x play system lag.

apachian_ayush

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been using moto x play play from past one week and i have noticed lags in:-
1. When i swipe down to quick toggle from the notification bar..it stutters a bit which is really annoying as this gesture is performed so many time in daily usage of smart phones.

2. White circle animation stutters when closing app drawer(resolved after the new google app update).

Ps : Is anyone else facing the issue in quick toggles?? kindly reply...thanks.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I only noticed because you pointed it out, and it's certainly minor. But if you analyse things that closely and get bothered by them you will go crazy :)

apachian_ayush

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I only noticed because you pointed it out, and it's certainly minor. But if you analyse things that closely and get bothered by them you will go crazy :)
Yes its a minor issue..but just confirm me that you also noticed that stutter???...i just wanna make sure that it isn't specific to my device.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello apachian_ayush, welcome to the forums!

I use Nova Launcher and never experienced any lag or stutter opening the quick settings. I have two different ways to open them, swiping down twice or double tap (Nova gestures). It's fast and smooth. After your message I ran a quick test and enabled Google Now launcher. I must say that it's smoother with Nova but using GNL you have to pay a lot of attention to be aware of those mini stutters. Also, swiping down with two fingers seems better.

As you already noticed they are improving Now launcher and the latest Google app update made animations faster and smoother. If those transitions really bother you maybe you should consider giving Nova a try. Check the free version first and see how it goes.

apachian_ayush

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello apachian_ayush, welcome to the forums!

I use Nova Launcher and never experienced any lag or stutter opening the quick settings. I have two different ways to open them, swiping down twice or double tap (Nova gestures). It's fast and smooth. After your message I ran a quick test and enabled Google Now launcher. I must say that it's smoother with Nova but using GNL you have to pay a lot of attention to be aware of those mini stutters. Also, swiping down with two fingers seems better.

As you noticed already they are improving Now launcher and the latest Google app update made animations faster and smoother. If those transitions really bother you maybe you should consider giving Nova a try. Check the free version first and see how it goes.
Hi Javier P , thanks for this useful info. I tried nova too (the free version). Swiping down animation still shutters a bit. I think this is related to the Google now launcher optimization with Google app. It's a minor issue but sometimes when performing quickly on our smartphones, these minor lags are kinda irritating.. I would b much grateful if you just tell me DID YOU ALSO FACED THOSE MINOR STUTTERS WHICH I AM TALKING ABOUT???...I would feel relaxed if this is a general issue... THANKS.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
No, not with Nova. You could try different animation speeds. Also, hiding the status bar can make transitions not so smooth, this is normal.

Yes, just a little bit when using the Google Now launcher, but better swiping down with two fingers.

Another workaround. Which switches do you use in the quick settings? You could try using Power Toggles to have those switches in the notification shade so you don't need to open the whole quick settings panel.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have many lags on mine. To be honest the lag or stutter on pulling down quick setting isn't too bad and not one that hugely bothers me. But even with the Google app update I still get lag in the launcher scrolling between the Google now page. I get lag in many apps, most noticeably gmail withiin an email, Google photos, chrome is unusable on some sites and Google play music. I even notice a jutter sometimes when the pattern code entry comes up.

I am hoping Motorola can fix this in a software update otherwise I'll be pretty disappointed. It doesn't really effect the use of the phone but spoils the experience as it bothers me and I notice it all the time! Having said that chrome slows so much on certain websites that it is unusable so it does effect use in that way

I'd say what you have is normal!

Posted via the Android Central App

apachian_ayush

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes i totally agree with you...stuttering can be observed while scrolling within an email in gmail app. I use drippler for app info and juttering can be seen within app scrolling. N you are so right about play music it stutters a lot and sometimes become unresponsive. Motorola needs to optimize the software a lil more as sd 615 is quite infamous for its throttling issues.

apachian_ayush

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I have many lags on mine. To be honest the lag or stutter on pulling down quick setting isn't too bad and not one that hugely bothers me. But even with the Google app update I still get lag in the launcher scrolling between the Google now page. I get lag in many apps, most noticeably gmail withiin an email, Google photos, chrome is unusable on some sites and Google play music. I even notice a jutter sometimes when the pattern code entry comes up.

I am hoping Motorola can fix this in a software update otherwise I'll be pretty disappointed. It doesn't really effect the use of the phone but spoils the experience as it bothers me and I notice it all the time! Having said that chrome slows so much on certain websites that it is unusable so it does effect use in that way

I'd say what you have is normal!

Yes i totally agree with you...stuttering can be observed while scrolling within an email in gmail app. I use drippler for app info and juttering can be seen within app scrolling. N you are so right about play music it stutters a lot and sometimes become unresponsive. Motorola needs to optimize the software a lil more as sd 615 is quite infamous for its throttling issues.<br />
<br />

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I am using nova launcher and there is no lag now. it rectified most of the issues. While using that app change the settings to nova speeds for opening apps or closing the dock...

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I am using nova launcher and there is no lag now. it rectified most of the issues. While using that app change the settings to nova speeds for opening apps or closing the dock...

It doesn't fix the lag within apps though

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Open developers settings lower all animation to .5, I have used nova too but lately switched back to stock and with good optimization of the settings I get better speed and battery life.

Sent from my Moto X Play

David Escalante

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Search for "Moto X Play Performance" in XDA, here it doesn't allow me to post links.

In short, i was able to boost the performance to a Moto X 2014 experience:
• Replacing stock rom from CyanogenMod
• Disabling the little CPU cores (using only the first 4 cores)
• Disabling Core Control
• Downgrading to 720 (trust me, is hard to tell the difference with this screen)
• onDemand governor on CM seems to give a smoother experience than interactive.

With that, you have the smoothest Moto X so far.

Other solutions:
If you don't want/can root your phone, just do the 720 downgrade, its easy and can be undone.

If you don't want CM but you can root:

Disabling the little CPU have been reported as doing a huge difference, I bet that doing that and also the 720p should be enough.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. I've never understood why people recommend doing this. In fact on the play i think it makes things worse because the stuttering animations running more quickly just look terrible. This can only be fixed by rooting and messing around as someone else suggested or (hopefully) but a software update from Motorola

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood