Moto X Play WiFi Calling?

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Kind of a black box for me.
Is this a feature that the carrier offers only, or something that needs to be supported by the mobile phone as well?
Does Moto X Play support this?

Thanks

apachian_ayush

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I am not very well versed with the concept of wifi calling(that what it actually mean). But if this something like making a voice call via apps like whatsapp n few others then yes it is supported.

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I am not talking about VoIP in the likes of Viber, Whatsapp etc.
I am talking about an option some carriers offer.
When there is no or very bad signal in the area, the phone can call and receive calls normally over a possible WiFi connection instead.
They usually charge the same as the program you have (outgoing calls to the same country or to another country, incoming calls etc.) it is just another way to connect to the phone network

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The WiFi calling feature depends on your carrier. Outside the States I've read that EE released it recently in the UK for a limited number of devices and the X Play wasn't included. I'm not sure about other countries. I'll search a bit about this and let you know what I find. Where do you live?

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Switzerland. Carrier Salt (ex Orange).
WiFi calling is offered by them for a limited number of devices eg. iphones and Samsungs.
Funnily enough Samsung S5 is included in their list. However my son CAN use this service from his S5, while my wife with another S5 cannot :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure then. I think it's related to a software update more than a hardware limitation. Check with them and tell us what they said. I'm quite curious about that :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've just checked with an expert and the short answer for the X Play is no, it can't have WiFi calling for now :(

You need some specific firmware in your phone plus the carrier software. For now just a couple of brands and the Nexus line support WiFi calling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz