Any regrets?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Now we've all had the phone for weeks or even months, how is everyone feeling about it?

have to admit I keep eyeing up the nexus 5x as I am really disappointed by the performance issues and perhaps I do regret getting it. I dusted off my old nexus 5 and installed marshmallow and it runs a hundred times better than the x play. Yes its on newer software but it's a 2 year old phone!

Also find is disappointing how little I've heard mentioned about marshmallow for the play. Feel a bit like moto aren't treating it as a priority somehow which I guess it isn't given that it didn't get a global release.

I do really like the battery and screen size of the play so hopefully marshmallow will sort it out but somewhat disappointed at this time...

Posted via the Android Central App

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I think the Play runs fine. I'm also tempted to get the 5x, as the 5 was possibly my favorite phone of all time. The thing that stops me, is once I have the nexus 5x for a few weeks and the novelty of having a new phone wears off, I'm sure I would quickly realize I'm getting nothing new out of it that I didn't already have on the X Play (apart from a fingerprint scanner).

They both run stock android (but the Play has a few more features), both have a 1080p screen, X Play has better battery life. I just can't think of anything the 5x can offer me over the play? Sure the 5x probably has better performance, but it would be ever so slightly. I saw a side by side video of the two phones, of someone comparing the two phones opening apps, multitasking, booting etc, and the difference was so small.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any regrets at all. Been using the X Play for almost three months and never had a problem. Recent updates have improved performance in apps like Play Store or Now launcher. There are still a couple of animation stutters here and there but in general the performance is good.

Before buying this phone I considered waiting for the 5X and now I'm sure I made the right decision. The X Play suits my needs better that the 5X would. So, I'm quite happy so far.

There are no leaks of soak test for this phone but I'm not so worried. I think we'll get Marshmallow still this year.

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
None whatsoever. This phone covers the weaknesses of my N5 and my Moto X 2014, which were an extremely reduced battery performance AND a display which under direct sunlight could not be viewed.
And yes I miss the responsiveness, complete lack of stutter, color reproduction and IR sensor of my previous phones but I completely forget what I miss at the end of the day where I still have more than 60% of battery left...

It seems to me that the ideal pure or near pure Android phone has not been built yet. And my X play is the nearest solution available today...

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Had mine 3 days and no regrets. I had nexus 5x and while it is excellent on marshmallow it just feels to cheap and plastic and big for a 5.2" screen. I only paid £200 for the play on recent Amazon deal and for that price you won't get any better in my opinion.

Great screen, although plastic great build, good front facing mono speaker, good camera, but best thing about this phone is battery life. My first cycle was 1 day 20 hours with 5hrs 30mins screen time.

There is the odd animation stutter but it's rare, I was worried about the 615 soc but it's good on this phone, apps open fast multitasking is fast. I'm just not sure if marshmallow will smooth everything out or its limited by the 615. But for the price the play is excellent.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Had mine 3 days and no regrets. I had nexus 5x and while it is excellent on marshmallow it just feels to cheap and plastic and big for a 5.2" screen. I only paid £200 for the play on recent Amazon deal and for that price you won't get any better in my opinion.

Great screen, although plastic great build, good front facing mono speaker, good camera, but best thing about this phone is battery life. My first cycle was 1 day 20 hours with 5hrs 30mins screen time.

There is the odd animation stutter but it's rare, I was worried about the 615 soc but it's good on this phone, apps open fast multitasking is fast. I'm just not sure if marshmallow will smooth everything out or its limited by the 615. But for the price the play is excellent.

That sounds great as my wife needs a new phone so I will wait to see if there are any deals on the play this Friday although that Amazon UK deal at £200 was superb but the problem is she really likes the Lime green back with silver accents! So I would have to hope that Motorola UK do a deal this Friday.

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I used to feel disappointed at first, but, after flashing both Squid Kernel and CM Rom from XDA, this phone it's amazing now.

Great performance, great camera, great battery, great display.

A great phone, but sucks horrible with stock settings.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I used to feel disappointed at first, but, after flashing both Squid Kernel and CM Rom from XDA, this phone it's amazing now.

Great performance, great camera, great battery, great display.

A great phone, but sucks horrible with stock settings.

Yet there are many people who like the phone just fine with stock settings it's all a matter of opinion.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I am a little disappointed by the fast battery drain, some days I don't even make a day. Also no gyroscope is annoying.

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I am a little disappointed by the fast battery drain, some days I don't even make a day. Also no gyroscope is annoying.

Then there is something wrong with the phone or rogue app. You should be getting easily over a day battery life.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah maybe. I think it is the active radio bug. Been to busy to find the reason. Like I said it's been like this since day one so yeah. Some days it's good though and I do get two days out of it.

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I too have a problem with the performance issues with the play. When battery is low it automatically stops the higher frequency cores and the phone becomes much slower than before.
Also have an issue with the RAM problem. Background apps keeps restarting once I open it again after some time due to the low availability of RAM.
Hope these issues will be fixed with the marshmallow. Eagerly waiting for the update.....

Posted via moto x play

Raulprem

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I am happy overall..because I wasn't expecting anything fancy rather a consistent and reliable performer..I strongly feel the play is able to meet that expectation of mine till date across multiple features that matters to me during my daily use..don't know what the future is going to be with marshmallow update

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Several reports from Brazilian owners getting the official OTA update. Every report after using Marshmallow indicates that performance improved greatly, the whole UI is more fluid and some bugs were fixed.

Ankush Das

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
No regrets... I got a good storage option,bigger screen and a sound camera at a budget price which is the the best in the market right now.when combined with the battery. Nexus 5X can't be compared here... Its has no expandable storage (so those who want more storage - offline can't geta nexus 5X at this price) And, moreover Nexus 5X needs additional USB converter which is of nearly 1200 INR.. Moto X Play is definitely worth the price. If you go on comparing higher priced smartphones I can compare Nexus 5X with LG G4, and even without a fingerprint sensor G4 is a beast which is available for just a higher price than nexus 5X 32 GB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome