Coming from an Iphone to an android device with the Moto X Play. Has been working awesome since the day I got it.

Then everything changed when Android 6.0 Marshmallow attacked.

My SD Card was no longer recognized by the device and I had to format it in order to get it to work. Okay... Converted to internal Memory and worked like a charm for 2 days. Then It no longer would recognize the SD Card again. Trying to format it again, like the newbie I am, I have consistently received an error that has made the SD Card unreadable.

Moto X Play updated to Marshmallow No Longer Recognizes SD Card-error.jpg

I am just starting to investigate the problem as I was on vacation at the time and was going to worry about it when I got home.

Well that time is now, and I would sincerely appreciate a point in the right direction on this one folks,

Thanks in advance!
    brisadeveranos and juniofdm like this.
    01-03-2016 10:51 PM
    Hi there,

Which microSD card do you have?

Where did you buy it? Many cards sold by eBay sellers are counterfeit. The shady sellers claim the cards are much higher capacity than the really are. When the size of the contents on the fake cards exceeds the limit, then errors result. (For example, a 64 GB card that is really only 4 GB.)
    Javier P likes this.
    01-03-2016 11:35 PM
    Hi Laura,

I am using a Sony 32GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card.

I got both my Moto X and the SD card at the same time from the Bell Mobile dealer here in Canada, so doubtful it would be a counterfeit.

To clarify, this message shows up when trying to reformat the SD Card for use. Otherwise it says the SD Card unreadable and needs to be reformated.

Hope this helps.
    01-04-2016 08:27 AM
    Have you already tried wiping the cache partition after the system update?
    01-04-2016 08:42 AM
    Have just done that now. No change in memory card use.
    01-04-2016 09:07 AM
    Have you managed to read that SD card from a different device? Take a look here and see if any of those fixes work for you. Tell us how it goes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...maged-t3283631
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-04-2016 09:19 AM
    WOW Javier, this looks to be the exact issue I'm having. This only started with the Marshmallow update, so I'm certain that the SD Card itself is not the main issue. I'll try out the steps described tonight and get back to you on what the results are.

Thanks again!
    01-04-2016 10:11 AM
    so marshmallow borked SD cards, good to know. so I guess now we wait for 6mos for a hotfix?
    01-09-2016 12:51 AM
    Hello,

Here the exactly same problem! after upgraded to Marshmallow Android 6.0 Moto X Play, no solution yet!
    01-21-2016 10:49 AM
    Same problem here and I found and followed a fix at: forums.androidcentral DOT com/moto-g-2015/630247-pc-can-t-access-moto-g-files.html#post4937816
    This is a known issue with the Marshmallow update on G3 with SD card set as portable storage (users who switched to internal storage seem to have no issues)... Disconnect USB, then Go to Settings, Apps, and Show System Apps, then find External Storage and Media Storage, and clear data and cache on each one and reboot. Give it 5 min after full boot up to rebuild media databases and connect to USB and select MTP, should be good to go.

Next time I rebooted and connected to PC (Win 10) it was all there! Hope this helps.
    02-15-2016 07:14 AM
    Anybody could already solve the problem? I just happened the same ...
    02-16-2016 01:50 PM
    I tried all possible solutions but no luck yet. This is a very serious issue. Has anybody discovered the right fix?
    03-06-2016 08:45 PM
    Same issue for me also...tried all mentioned ones...any other solutions please advise....
    05-12-2016 07:47 PM
    Myzlo, have any sucess with SD card not formating in Moto X Play? I've tried 3 diferents cards sizes and brands and not working on moto x. I tried in moto G3 and it works normaly. :-
    07-21-2016 12:16 PM
    After the upgrade to Marshmallow, the phone's performance has been way below standard.There is frame drop even in games like subway surfer.The phone hangs quite a bit,not so responsive especially when the charge is less.

Posted via the Android Central App
    ranjodh khalsa likes this.
    08-21-2016 01:25 PM
    I strongly believe it's an issue at the side of the SD card.
    08-22-2016 01:08 PM
    I strongly believe it's an issue at the side of the SD card.
    Nope...it's not. Card reader maybe.
    I have two of these phones. One has this issue, the other does not. Removed both SD cards, put the 'none functioning one' in the other phone, worked fine, could see all data on it. Put the 'functioning card' in the affected phone, it's not recognized and phone wants to format. Put it cards back in original phones, back to original issue. Let the phone format, still won't recognize it.
    Phone with functioning SD reader now doesn't save new contacts, I know.. separate issue. Only issues I've ever had with this phone.
    11-09-2016 10:35 PM
    i have the same issue and the memory card is working in my other phone so its defiantly not an MSD issue
    11-22-2016 01:17 AM
    Coming from an Iphone to an android device with the Moto X Play. Has been working awesome since the day I got it.

Then everything changed when Android 6.0 Marshmallow attacked.

My SD Card was no longer recognized by the device and I had to format it in order to get it to work. Okay... Converted to internal Memory and worked like a charm for 2 days. Then It no longer would recognize the SD Card again. Trying to format it again, like the newbie I am, I have consistently received an error that has made the SD Card unreadable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	212018

I am just starting to investigate the problem as I was on vacation at the time and was going to worry about it when I got home.

Well that time is now, and I would sincerely appreciate a point in the right direction on this one folks,

Thanks in advance!
    Have u got a solution to this as I am also faxing the same issue for last 1month?
    11-26-2016 08:54 AM
    in that case have you tried the working moto's card reader in the non-functioning one?
    12-04-2016 01:50 PM
    Have you tried swapping the card readers, as in the phone without issues and over into the one with issues? Just curious if it is in fact the reader although after all this research its seeming to be a backend hardware issue w/ Android 6.0
    12-04-2016 01:52 PM
    i am too!
    01-06-2017 08:18 PM
    I'm having the same issue, ever since getting the Marshmallow update. No problem with the microSD card, but the update seems to have killed SD card compatibility
    01-20-2017 04:53 PM
    Same issue. I have also got the card replaced from the service center, as it has a 10 year warranty. however the same issue started with the new as well. i have lost my data twice now. I am not sure if the Moto X supports any card at all, or Just not the SDXC cards.
    Also, I am not a tech enthusiast, so if there's any remedy for it that i can do without actually getting a degree in IT, then kindly suggest.
    01-24-2017 08:37 AM
    Hi I believe the issue of SD card not detected is from the security patch update recently released. I am also using Moto x play and after the security patch update, phone stopped downloading photos from WhatsApp, SD card does not detect, apps report not working, battery drains fast, ....Like somany issues. The number goes increasing for the issues. I believe the nougat release would be solution for all these problems. The patch update is meant to be get the Moto x play ready for nougat but marshmallow has some issues with that patch.
    Georgia Heard likes this.
    02-04-2017 08:56 AM