Greetings all Moto people out there!

About a week ago I upgraded to the Moto X Play from my Moto G 1st Gen. Overall, I'm very pleased with the phone and love the Moto experience. I do, however, have one major issue that is leaving me a bit stumped:

***Sometimes, apparently randomly, the phone is very difficult to wake from "sleep". Like say I have the phone in my pocket or on the table, and I want to look something up. So I press the power button to activate the display, but instead of showing my home screen, it just either shows a totally blank screen or does not activate at all. Sometimes I have to literally press the power button 20 times for the display to show the home screen. Any ideas about what is causing this issue? What can I do to fix it? Is it a manufacturing defect, should I return/exchange the phone?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!
    04-08-2016 07:52 PM
    Welcome to the forums! I haven't seen this issue reported before so I'm not sure what could be the cause. Do you have Moto Display activated? Maybe there's a conflict with a third party app that you downloaded. Do you have any lock screen app, task killer or memory booster installed in your phone?
    04-09-2016 04:14 AM
    Thank you for the kind welcome, Javier! I do have the Moto Display activated (on by default) and I have to say I really enjoy that feature about the phone. I download apps exclusively from the Play Store and do not have any lock screen apps, task killers, or memory boosters. Really, I keep things pretty basic and haven't done anything weird or abnormal to the phone in the week I've owned it.

Again, other than this problem, I'm really enjoying the phone and look forward to it helping me as my digital assistant and in my mission to go paperless
    04-09-2016 10:49 AM
    I searched a little bit and didn't found more reports about this issue. Does Moto Display work normally? Does your phone wake up when you pick it up?

I would try some basic troubleshooting.

Change the values in settings - display - sleep and in settings - security - automatically lock.

Clear cache in settings - storage & usb - internal storage - cached data and then restart the phone.

Wipe cache partition via recovery mode.

If nothing works maybe you should consider a factory reset as a last resort. There's a possibility that you have a faulty device that needs to be replaced. Tell us how it goes.
    04-09-2016 03:42 PM
    Another idea. Do you you use a case? If so, take it out and see if it makes a difference.
    04-09-2016 03:59 PM
    It happened to me only once. Don't know why it happened. Did you update the device to 6.0.1?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-10-2016 02:32 AM
    I am having the same problem... but it seemed to happen after I downloaded 6.0.1. Looking for any other suggestions...I've only had it for a week!
    04-10-2016 12:57 PM
    I have a similar issue with my Moto X Play

Only occurs when i'm connected to a Google Cast device, and only started since 6.0.1 update.

When I disconnected the cast device, black screen problem disapear.
    04-11-2016 07:56 PM
    Greetings all Moto people out there!

About a week ago I upgraded to the Moto X Play from my Moto G 1st Gen. Overall, I'm very pleased with the phone and love the Moto experience. I do, however, have one major issue that is leaving me a bit stumped:

***Sometimes, apparently randomly, the phone is very difficult to wake from "sleep". Like say I have the phone in my pocket or on the table, and I want to look something up. So I press the power button to activate the display, but instead of showing my home screen, it just either shows a totally blank screen or does not activate at all. Sometimes I have to literally press the power button 20 times for the display to show the home screen. Any ideas about what is causing this issue? What can I do to fix it? Is it a manufacturing defect, should I return/exchange the phone?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!
    Welcome to Android Central!

Have you tried turning off Moto Display to see if that is what the issue is?
    04-13-2016 07:37 AM
    Just downloaded and installed 6.0.1. Now my previously faultless moto X Play has this issue. Nightmare!

04-15-2016 12:32 PM

How?

04-15-2016 12:33 PM
    How?

Go to your app drawer, open the Moto app, tap on the stars top right, select Moto Display and switch it off.
    04-15-2016 12:37 PM
    On it. Will report back thanks

04-15-2016 12:43 PM
    Go to your app drawer, open the Moto app, tap on the stars top right, select Moto Display and switch it off.
    So far so good thanks. All working again. Don't you just love it when a manufacturers own system update buggers their headline feature. God knows what all the poor folk who don't know about AC will do 😢

04-15-2016 01:01 PM
    Glad it helped!
    04-15-2016 01:02 PM
    Thank you again, Javier!

I did try what you suggested aside from using recovery mode and a factory reset. Using either of those is a last, last resort for me. I'm nervous that if I booted into recovery mode I might mess something up (similar to my fears about adjusting the Windows registry on a PC). I set the display to stay on for 2 minutes before sleeping, and the phone will not "lock" for 50 minutes, which are the ways I like to have my phone. I also cleared the cache and restarted the phone as you recommended.

I'm hopeful that this is just a minor glitch that will be resolved in a future update. Devices are so well made nowadays I don't count myself unfortunate enough to receive a defective model. I believe we should always be curious and patient about our technology before throwing up our hands in surrender.

04-15-2016 04:05 PM
    Another idea. Do you you use a case? If so, take it out and see if it makes a difference.
    I use a case, but I'm not sure that's the issue. I use an Incipio Octane Droid Maxx 2 case (apparently intended for the US market) that I purchased from my provider (Virgin Mobile).

04-15-2016 04:25 PM
    I am having the same problem... but it seemed to happen after I downloaded 6.0.1. Looking for any other suggestions...I've only had it for a week!
    We're in the same boat, Claire!
    04-15-2016 04:26 PM

Thank you for you for your welcome, itguyjax8430!

As I was reading the posts to the thread, I saw that suggestion, so I thought it was worth an attempt. The thing with my Moto is that it will do the issue a few times and work normally for 1 to 2 days before repeating the process. So I guess I would call the issue fixed if I can go a whole week without any issue. So Moto Display is now off. Still really loving the Moto though!
    04-15-2016 04:31 PM
    Just downloaded and installed 6.0.1. Now my previously faultless moto X Play has this issue. Nightmare!

I'm sorry to hear that you had the issue as well valmorel, but glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
    04-15-2016 04:33 PM
    So far so good thanks. All working again. Don't you just love it when a manufacturers own system update buggers their headline feature. God knows what all the poor folk who don't know about AC will do

I feel the same way about AC too, valmoral!
    04-15-2016 04:34 PM
    So far so good thanks. All working again. Don't you just love it when a manufacturers own system update buggers their headline feature. God knows what all the poor folk who don't know about AC will do 😢

I feel the same way about AC too, valmoral!
    04-15-2016 04:34 PM
    Glad it helped!
    Thank you again, Javier!
    04-15-2016 04:35 PM
    Hey guys, just a question. Do you have the Netflix app installed in your phone? If so try something. Enable Moto Display again, uncheck notifications for the Netflix app and see if the problem comes back. This fixed the problem for some users.
    04-18-2016 08:28 AM