Strong mobile connection but no Mobile data

marco171180

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I just got a new Moto X Play (dual sim edition) a few days ago and love the thing. However, sometimes it seems that even though I have a strong mobile signal, the 4G/LTE/3G icon disappears and I have no connection, even though I have a strong signal. It sometimes comes back on it's own but the only way to restore it is switching mobile data from one sim to the other, then back to the first. But then it randomly disappears again. Not even airplane mode works. I have been googling this issue for the last few days without luck. I hope you'll be able to help me! :)
I already tried switching the two SIM cards in the other tray.
Has anyone had this issue?
Thanks in advance!

Marco

I'll attach an image, on the top, you can see the 4G when the connection is working, at the bottom, the symbol has disappeared.
Moto X.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Who's your carrier? Are you sure the 3G/4G data signal is strong in those areas? It's possible that it's reverting to 2G. The signal bars themselves could be reporting the 2G signal, not 3G/4G.

marco171180

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Hello and thank you for your quick reply!

I live in Austria and my carrier is tele.ring .
I already tried erasing the APN and inserting it manually but no luck.
Yes, there is usually always 4g here. On my previous phone it was always connected, but the issue happens even when I am in the center of the city.
It really appears to decide "ok no more internet for you" and turns it off.
It's really frustrating. :(
The only way I get it back for a while (which means from... 30 seconds to half a hour) is switching the data service from one sim to the other, then back again. for a while the "4G" appears again and it works.
Even airplane mode on and off won't do it. :-/

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Marco, welcome to the forums! A couple more questions. What happens when you switch the SIM cards? Is the problem related to one specific card or just to the slot 2? In general I prefer using the slot 1 for the card I mostly use for data.

Does the problem persist if you select 3G as "preferred network" for SIM 2?

marco171180

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi and thank you for the warm welcome.
I tried switching the SIM cards just yesterday, but it seems to behave in the exact same manner.
I also tried setting 3G just before and no luck, the signal disappeared from 4G instantly and no connection again. :(

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did a little search and didn't find any report about this same issue. Not sure what to suggest. If the problem persists with the same card in two different slots I would try using a new one. Is it the same card that you used in your previous phone? Did you cut it manually?

Another thought. Have you noticed if this problem persists while Bluetooth is off?

Last edited:

marco171180

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes it was the same card I used in my previous phone and I did not cut it myself, I got it from the shop.
I did not try without bluetooth as I need it for my pebble :( it would be a mess if I could not use it :(
In the meantime I'll thank you for having a look for me :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also check the SIM slots to make sure there isn't any debris in there. Remove the SIM cards and use a can of compressed air to blow them out.

marco171180

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I tried that too.

Now (as it did yesterday) it looks like it stayed on 4G the entire afternoon and probably all night. But I am certain that as soon as I leave the house and go to work and start moving, it will go away. :(
I thank you in advance and will read you again in a few days!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463