Motox Play Active Display. It's dreadful, am I doing something wrong?

chucklepie

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I didn't realise my moto x play did not have an LED. However I was assured in an online chat that Active Display was awesome. Am I doing something wrong?

1. Nothing is displayed on my screen unless I pick it up, then it shows me the clock and any messages
2. If I wait half a second it disappears and nothing will bring it back unless I put it down for about 10 seconds. Wiggling it did nothing other than bring up my camera
3. I was playing a game and never noticed a notification came in. Back in rest mode absolutely nothing was displayed so the only time I realised I had a message was when I switched on the phone. It seems active display only wants to be active if you aren't using your phone when a message comes in.
4. I saw in a video you can 'just look at the phone' and the clock/notifications appear. Nothing happened for me.
5. I heard in a video it glows now and again. Never happened to me, it only does it once when I pick up the phone.

Am I doing something wrong? and how exactly is this better than a LED - with an LED notification I know something is there because I get a flashing light, and it's there whether I'm using my phone or not, and is always there until I read the messages. If I could even touch the screen to bring up the active display it might be more useful, but it doesn't even do that.

tbh, if this is the best it gets, I'm sending the phone back, I've only had it 1 day and I hate not knowing I have notifications as this seems not fit for the job.

ylap

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Moto active display on Moto X Play uses accelerometer, not proximity sensor. So it glows when you just move or shake device slightly or noticifation is available. And yes, any notification shows only in stand by. Also, if you set a specific times to not turn on display at all, for eg. at night, it will not glow when notification available.

Posted via the Android Central App

ylap

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It depends. For me it is much better than any blinking LED. So maybe it is a crap for you but also maybe very useful "crap" for others :)

Paul86

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It depends. For me it is much better than any blinking LED. So maybe it is a crap for you but also maybe very useful "crap" for others :)

I like how I can pick up my phone and swipe my finger down and open the notification right away. I almost don't remember using BB10. This is good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci