10-01-2015 11:56 AM
368 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    For me, the trick with a large screen is having a slim case that covers the screen too. That way you can stuff it in any pocket without worry. I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and a great cheap flip over case.

I have now used my 2013 Moto G exclusively for 2 - 3 months until I get something better.

Apart from the small screen and typing difficulties, I have been enjoying holding and using it with one hand; and going naked after all this time.
    08-05-2015 12:23 PM
    How far we've come..

Visual Phone Size Comparison
    Aquila, Almeuit, TBolt and 3 others like this.
    08-05-2015 04:15 PM
    Just put the others in a drawer and this will be the new normal It's smaller than my Nexus, right?
    Almeuit and Ry like this.
    08-05-2015 04:18 PM
    I should have got a Nexus 6 as a kick-around device instead of this Nexus 5. A guy I work with let me play with his rooted Nexus 6 and its a nice phone. Maybe I'll get a Style.

from the Elegance
    Aquila likes this.
    08-05-2015 05:41 PM
    glorious!!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laineyc likes this.
    08-05-2015 07:43 PM
    So I've been a Moto X lover since the 1st gen.

Being on Verizon, I bought the plain black on launch day for their network. Then, when Motomaker was available, I made myself a very nice custom design and sold the original. Then my wife was ready for an upgrade and moved from her iPhone 4 to the Moto X with a nice custom design. And when they put out their awesome sale, I bought another with a different design just because (and used it as a "backup/warranty" device which I eventually gave to my mother so she could upgrade without having to stick to a contract.

And when the 2nd gen came out, I bought one with the AWESOME bamboo back. And, oh my, the screen size was a little daunting at first but I fell in love with it very quickly. The phone's design still felt small enough and manageable even with the bigger screen. Even my petite wife remarked recently how much she liked my 2nd gen X.

Then.....my X died a premature death due to my own stupidity. And I had to revert back to my original Motomaker 1st gen to use. And, while it's still an awesome device, even running 4.4.4., I found the screen to be extremely small. Way too small for my preference. There's no way it could satisfy me after having enjoyed the 2nd gen's bigger screen. And since the 3rd gen has a bigger screen but is mere millimeters wider, I simply cannot wait until it is released so I can order one for myself.

And the bonus? I cut out a paper to the exact height/width of the 3rd gen and showed it to the wife and she said, "That's not bad. I could get used to that." So now she's on board with getting the 3rd gen X (or XPE -- X Pure Edition) along with me. She was going to take my 2nd gen as her new phone but that's impossible now. So she wants the XPE with a bamboo back, too.

All in all, that screen real estate is simply friggin' awesome. And the increased dimensions of the XPE are mainly in its height. And if my petite wife is game for it, then that disproves the notion that all smaller handed people are going to hate the new size.

I, for one, can't wait to get the larger screen back. As much as I loved the 1st gen's size, I love the 2nd gen even more and am very confident I'll love the XPE's screen size even more.

So BRING IT, Moto!!!!
    DC Wuff and Aquila like this.
    08-07-2015 01:10 AM
    Sounds like your all for the new bigger size!

To be honest when i got a note2 it felt huge, for a day or two after that it was normal.

A lot of people who are put off by the size get used to it quick and never look back.

Personally my turbo at 5.2 feels about as small as i would want to go, its about perfect for me, but i am used to the 5.7 of the note4 and it feels great too.

I hope the new motos are everything we want it to be.. My concern is the battery, it should have been bigger for that size screen. Fast charge or not im not always close to an outlet, and i have to have a phone last a long day.

08-07-2015 01:31 AM
    I Concur. After having both moto x phones and now the Nexus 6 I am so looking forward to the combination of A nice big screen and the best software in any android device available.
    08-07-2015 03:58 AM
    I feel like the note 4 hit the perfect form factor for me - and the 2015 X is the same size. I like using my wife's note 4, and I would buy another used one for myself (I've owned one twice) if the 2015 X and the new nexus both fall flat. Narrow enough to be comfortable to hold but has a large screen. I thought the turbo was a fine size too though. I'm really OK anywhere in between 5.2-5.7. The nexus 6 was just a tad too big and i sold it, it felt a little too much like holding a nexus 7.

I feel bad for people who want to return to the 4.7" days though. Ain't gonna happen with a flagship it looks like.
    08-07-2015 08:30 AM
    Amen to all of this. After switching my wife from her iPhone 5s to my old 2014 X (once Motorola pushed the 5.1 update and fixed all the 5.0-induced problems), I am dying to get the Moto features back. My Nexus 6 is great, except I could deal with it being a little narrower, and did I mention: I want my Moto back!
    08-07-2015 09:07 AM
    So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much.

ttwiitch, dmark44 and ewak12321 like this.
    08-07-2015 04:40 PM
    So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much. And with the lack of an AMOLED screen, I don't know how battery life will be affected.

08-07-2015 04:44 PM
    So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much.

Until we see reviews, I wouldn't worry about battery life.

Honestly, what are people doing that you would constantly worry that your phone will die? There's not a single phone on the market that can guarantee all day battery life because:

1. Everyone uses their phones differently.
    2. Bad signal strength in one area could destroy your battery.
    3. Gaming hits the battery hard.

And everything else under the sun.

I remember my 2013 Moto X having great battery life despite having a small battery. If Motorola optimized things well, and you're not going all in on your phone for hours at a time, it should be fine.
    sixty_four and ewak12321 like this.
    08-07-2015 05:04 PM

I think you are describing the DROID Turbo 2. Probably one of the biggest reasons why the X Pure is the way it is.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    08-07-2015 05:17 PM
    I think you are describing the DROID Turbo 2. Probably one of the biggest reasons why the X Pure is the way it is.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    I probably am, yeah. Too bad I'm not on Verizon.

08-07-2015 05:30 PM
    I think people are concerned about the battery because of the higher resolution screen. That would only apply if it "were" an AMOLED screen. LCD with a higher resolution just means more pixels in the TFT. There is still only one back light as in a smaller resolution LCD screen. Now, if the panel was an AMOLED at the higher resolution...as on the S6 and S6 Edge, then yes it will use more battery because there are many more pixels to light up. That's why so many of us who have AMOLED screens try to use dark themes to keep the power flow as low as possible. So in general AMOLED "should" use less juice, but in this case I think that a larger resolution AMOLED screen will use MORE power than the same resolution LCD. This is why, I believe, that Motorola decided to go with an LCD instead of an AMOLED on the Style/Pure. My $0.02
    ewak12321 and gg22 like this.
    08-07-2015 05:45 PM

that would've been THE perfect phone ... we almost got exactly what we're looking for but such is life!

personally I'm over it and realize compromises gotta be made. would I have loved to have seen a 3600+ battery in the Pure, you bet. but it has most of what I'm looking for, specifically the best UX in the business and it's at a great price. I've never used quick charge and for those days when I'm out and about I'll just carry a battery pack.

that said, I really hope that Hauwei Nexus go over the top and throws in the biggest battery possible. maybe that'll be a better fit for us but we'll see. one thing I do know, I couldn't be more turned off by Samsung this year, and my days of paying $600+ for bloatware are officially over.

08-07-2015 06:37 PM
    that would've been THE perfect phone ... we almost got exactly what we're looking for but such is life!

personally I'm over it and realize compromises gotta be made. would I have loved to have seen a 3600+ battery in the Pure, you bet. but it has most of what I'm looking for, specifically the best UX in the business and it's at a great price. I've never used quick charge and for those days when I'm out and about I'll just carry a battery pack.

that said, I really hope that Hauwei Nexus go over the top and throws in the biggest battery possible. maybe that'll be a better fit for us but we'll see. one thing I do know, I couldn't be more turned off by Samsung this year, and my days of paying $600+ for bloatware are officially over.

Amen to that!

08-07-2015 07:25 PM
    Yup. After day 2 of using my OG X, I am DYING here. The screen is sooooooo tiny. And 4.4.4 is nice but it isn't 5.1.1. But no matter what, I simply love the Moto approach to software. I will say, though, that the Bluetooth/driving/speaking integration was much better and smoother with KitKat than it was with Jellybean or Lollipop.

In the meantime, I try to type as infrequently as possible on the (now comparatively) tiny screen. And now I feel like I need reading glasses. hahaha
    08-07-2015 08:45 PM

I think price is going to enter into this equation too. If the 2015 Nexus is priced as high as the N6 was, it'll cost significantly more than the X. Then again if this year's Nexus ends up with a much bigger battery and OIS.. Ugh decisions decisions.
    08-08-2015 10:47 AM
    I think price is going to enter into this equation too. If the 2015 Nexus is priced as high as the N6 was, it'll cost significantly more than the X. Then again if this year's Nexus ends up with a much bigger battery and OIS.. Ugh decisions decisions.
    Exactly my dilemma, in terms of the battery. Ugh, either of the Nexus phones or either of the Moto X phones. I can't decide.

08-08-2015 11:28 AM
    I think the LG Nexus will be in the $400 range and the Hauwei closer to $500, and at least for me the Pure will be $475 after I bump it to 32GB and include a wooden/leather back. I wouldn't choose one or the other over a few bucks, especially since I keep my phones closer to 36 months ... All things being equal, or close to it, I'll obviously go with what's less expensive, but if it's significantly better (OIS, USB-C, fingerprint sensor, larger battery) then I'll gladly pay the premium.
    08-08-2015 11:42 AM
    I'm interested in the "Pure". I've read that it has a 5.7" screen, and since i'm ok with my LG G3 at 5.5", it's a no brainer.
    08-08-2015 03:18 PM
    I will probably drop the phone a few times.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Aquila likes this.
    08-08-2015 06:38 PM
    Yeah when I first had my Moto G 1st Gen, I thought that screen was big. But then I won an LG G3 in a contest from Android Central and when I got it I thought it was a beast.😂 Now after having it for about 4 months I find the size completely normal. I would like to stay within the 5in. to 5.7in. Screen size on any phone. Any bigger is just over kill, but I could possibly get a bigger phone and get used to it. Lol. But I recently won a HTC one M8 from a YouTube contest so I will be switching to that from my Moto G 1st Gen. So that will be my main diver until something else Motorola comes to prepaid. I will really miss the Moto features and simplicity, but I love change so I will adjust just fine.

08-08-2015 07:01 PM
368 ... 89101112 ...