10-01-2015 11:56 AM
368 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Yeah when I first had my Moto G 1st Gen, I thought that screen was big. But then I won an LG G3 in a contest from Android Central and when I got it I thought it was a beast.😂 Now after having it for about 4 months I find the size completely normal. I would like to stay within the 5in. to 5.7in. Screen size on any phone. Any bigger is just over kill, but I could possibly get a bigger phone and get used to it. Lol. But I recently won a HTC one M8 from a YouTube contest so I will be switching to that from my Moto G 1st Gen. So that will be my main diver until something else Motorola comes to prepaid. I will really miss the Moto features and simplicity, but I love change so I will adjust just fine.

Posted via the Android Central App
    throw that bad boy up on swappa and grab the Pure!!

08-08-2015 10:16 PM
    I like the big screen. It's easy to shake out the fingers when needed especially while playing games. But the problem is I don't like to carry this one with me. It's needed an extra carrier to bear. Overall, it's good and I like.
    08-08-2015 11:18 PM
    5.5" is my sweet spot but using this Note 4 w/ a slimmer case hasn't proved to be a problem. Gonna wait to see what Nexus looks like but this phone looks to be my next.
    08-09-2015 10:04 AM
    I can't agree more. A Moto X Style with the Play screen and battery is exactly what I was hoping for. If the Play were being sold in the U.S. I would buy it. However, since it's not, I will buy the Style because I would rather have the Moto suite of apps than a Nexus.
    dmark44 likes this.
    08-10-2015 02:20 AM
    No fingerprint scanner = No Sale!!!
    08-10-2015 06:41 PM
    u thinking Nexus then?
    08-10-2015 07:40 PM
    I can't agree more. A Moto X Style with the Play screen and battery is exactly what I was hoping for. If the Play were being sold in the U.S. I would buy it. However, since it's not, I will buy the Style because I would rather have the Moto suite of apps than a Nexus.
    Can't we just buy the Play from overseas? I'm sure it'll be compatible with our bands here no?
    08-11-2015 10:36 AM
    Way too big. I want a phone, not a phablet.
    What he said.

Looking forward to a phone with decent size screen and the best user software available.......
    A "decent" size screen? There are plenty of tablets out there for you guys to use as phones. Meanwhile us people that want a normal phone that is actually usable are pushed to the side.

For me, the trick with a large screen is having a slim case that covers the screen too. That way you can stuff it in any pocket without worry. I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and a great cheap flip over case.

I have now used my 2013 Moto G exclusively for 2 - 3 months until I get something better.

Apart from the small screen and typing difficulties, I have been enjoying holding and using it with one hand; and going naked after all this time.
    It's not a small screen for a phone. Everything else is just ridiculously large and should stay in the niche space instead of the norm.
    sixty_four likes this.
    08-11-2015 10:46 AM
    Can't we just buy the Play from overseas? I'm sure it'll be compatible with our bands here no?
    If SoC performance is a priority for you, the Play may not be a good choice. Here's a preliminary look at the Play that I found interesting.

Comparing The Motorola Moto X Style/Pure And Moto X Play Smartphones

I'm waiting to see what the Nexus 5 and Droid Turbo 2 look like before making a decision. If none look good, I'll go ahead and replace the original battery on my 2013 X and wait for Android L, thus breathing enough life back into my 2013 X to wait for the next batch of phones.

I'm with you - I'm not a big fan of the current trend in bigger displays. I suppose "don't knock it until you try it" applies but to be honest, when I'm heading out and don't need an active connection - just music/audiobooks/offline maps - I'll grab my $20 LG Optimus Zone 2 instead of my X since it's that much smaller. Size does matter!
    Attached Thumbnails Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?-sizecompare.jpg  
    ewak12321 likes this.
    08-11-2015 12:23 PM
    I have a fingerprint scanner on my S6 Edge and it's not all that great! Unless you have on to use on a daily basis you might not realize it.
    08-11-2015 02:20 PM
    u thinking Nexus then?
    I have a fingerprint scanner on my S6 Edge and it's not all that great! Unless you have on to use on a daily basis you might not realize it.
    I'm having a hard time caring about the FPS on any phone. I get the appeal a little bit, but I'm more in favor of trusted devices, locations, etc. than physical unlock actions.
    08-11-2015 03:17 PM
    It will be a shame if fingerprint scanning across all Android devices ends up being buggy & unreliable. It works great on the iPad Air 2, and I've grown to rely on it heavily. I want the same quality on my next Android phone.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    08-11-2015 03:19 PM
    What he said.

A "decent" size screen? There are plenty of tablets out there for you guys to use as phones. Meanwhile us people that want a normal phone that is actually usable are pushed to the side.

It's not a small screen for a phone. Everything else is just ridiculously large and should stay in the niche space instead of the norm.
    People who want small screened phones are in the minority.

These companies spend millions on research. That research show's people want larger screens.

Basically you just have to deal with it. Until we reach a point in tech where screens as we know them are no longer needed, people will continue to want them.
    08-11-2015 03:25 PM
    It will be a shame if fingerprint scanning across all Android devices ends up being buggy & unreliable. It works great on the iPad Air 2, and I've grown to rely on it heavily. I want the same quality on my next Android phone.

Having it built into the code in Android M will be a big help to that.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    08-11-2015 03:43 PM
    I would like a removable battery but I can live without it. The fact that it's pure android is good enough for me
    08-11-2015 03:54 PM

Hopefully there are some improvements with Android fingerprint sensors within the next year. The one on my S6 is unreliable. It seems to hate my right thumb and it appears to have about 80% accuracy with my left one. The only time the fingerprint sensors on the iPhone 5s and 6+ gave me issues was when my fingers were slightly wet or a bit dirty, but that's expected.

Maybe this year's new Nexus devices will be a lot more reliable. Also, Qualcomm's Sense ID is interesting, but who knows when that will make it into devices.

Posted via the AC app
    TBolt likes this.
    08-11-2015 03:54 PM

These companies spend millions on research. That research show's people want larger screens.

Basically you just have to deal with it. Until we reach a point in tech where screens as we know them are no longer needed, people will continue to want them.
    I would go so far as to say "tiny" minority. Apple wouldn't have 2 supersized phones if there was a huge population of people wanting 4.5 to 4.7 inch phones.
    08-11-2015 04:28 PM
    Hopefully there are some improvements with Android fingerprint sensors within the next year. The one on my S6 is unreliable. It seems to hate my right thumb and it appears to have about 80% accuracy with my left one. The only time the fingerprint sensors on the iPhone 5s and 6+ gave me issues was when my fingers were slightly wet or a bit dirty, but that's expected.

Maybe this year's new Nexus devices will be a lot more reliable. Also, Qualcomm's Sense ID is interesting, but who knows when that will make it into devices.

Posted via the AC app
    have you set your right thumb up as 2 separate fingerprints? I always did this on my iPhone 6 with my right thumb since it was the majority thumb used to unlock the device. I did the same for the GS6 and seems to help. Maybe placebo though...
    08-11-2015 05:22 PM
    have you set your right thumb up as 2 separate fingerprints? I always did this on my iPhone 6 with my right thumb since it was the majority thumb used to unlock the device. I did the same for the GS6 and seems to help. Maybe placebo though...
    Yup. None of the tricks seem to work for it. I will say though that it works fine for the first couple days after setting it up. After more time passes though, it just gets less and less accurate to the point where I just stick to the left thumb.

Posted via the AC app
    08-11-2015 05:28 PM
    Yup. None of the tricks seem to work for it. I will say though that it works fine for the first couple days after setting it up. After more time passes though, it just gets less and less accurate to the point where I just stick to the left thumb.

Posted via the AC app
    good to know. I turned mine off because I like to toggle settings from the notification bar at the lockscreen and it didn't seem to work when the phone was "locked". Locked now with just the "slide" option, and I can toggle switches from the lockscreen. But I will say the GS6 finger print sensor is very good considering where the GS5 was... not as good as my iPhone 6, but pretty close.
    08-11-2015 05:37 PM
    good to know. I turned mine off because I like to toggle settings from the notification bar at the lockscreen and it didn't seem to work when the phone was "locked". Locked now with just the "slide" option, and I can toggle switches from the lockscreen. But I will say the GS6 finger print sensor is very good considering where the GS5 was... not as good as my iPhone 6, but pretty close.
    Oh yeah it is way better than the one on the S5 and Note 4. I would disable it, but since my phone is encrypted, the only options I have are using a fingerprint or passcode. I'm curious to see if Samsung includes a better one in the Note 5 or if it'll basically be the same sensor.

Posted via the AC app
    08-11-2015 07:27 PM
    Unfortunately, I suspect you're right. Large screens are currently more popular than ever. It's too bad "popular" rarely means "better".

Budweiser, chain restaurants, the Kardashians, One Direction, reality TV,...and now phones with screens no smaller than 5"
    co.ag.2005 and cdubb1 like this.
    08-11-2015 11:35 PM
    I don't believe the Play supports U.S. LTE bands. So you could import a Play and use it on T-mo or AT&T but you would be stuck on 3G.

08-12-2015 11:52 AM
    I think the Canadian version is compatible with the US carriers. The UK/European version isn't though, from what I've read/heard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-12-2015 12:13 PM
    I think the Canadian version is compatible with the US carriers. The UK/European version isn't though, from what I've read/heard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    If that's true, I would be very tempted to go with the Play instead of the Pure. Need that battery.

08-12-2015 03:44 PM
368 ... 910111213 ...