Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much.

Posted via the Android Central App

that would've been THE perfect phone ... we almost got exactly what we're looking for but such is life!

personally I'm over it and realize compromises gotta be made. would I have loved to have seen a 3600+ battery in the Pure, you bet. but it has most of what I'm looking for, specifically the best UX in the business and it's at a great price. I've never used quick charge and for those days when I'm out and about I'll just carry a battery pack.

that said, I really hope that Hauwei Nexus go over the top and throws in the biggest battery possible. maybe that'll be a better fit for us but we'll see. one thing I do know, I couldn't be more turned off by Samsung this year, and my days of paying $600+ for bloatware are officially over.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: The Perfect Moto X

that would've been THE perfect phone ... we almost got exactly what we're looking for but such is life!

personally I'm over it and realize compromises gotta be made. would I have loved to have seen a 3600+ battery in the Pure, you bet. but it has most of what I'm looking for, specifically the best UX in the business and it's at a great price. I've never used quick charge and for those days when I'm out and about I'll just carry a battery pack.

that said, I really hope that Hauwei Nexus go over the top and throws in the biggest battery possible. maybe that'll be a better fit for us but we'll see. one thing I do know, I couldn't be more turned off by Samsung this year, and my days of paying $600+ for bloatware are officially over.

Amen to that!

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bigger screen? Yes please!

Yup. After day 2 of using my OG X, I am DYING here. The screen is sooooooo tiny. And 4.4.4 is nice but it isn't 5.1.1. But no matter what, I simply love the Moto approach to software. I will say, though, that the Bluetooth/driving/speaking integration was much better and smoother with KitKat than it was with Jellybean or Lollipop.

In the meantime, I try to type as infrequently as possible on the (now comparatively) tiny screen. And now I feel like I need reading glasses. hahaha

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I think price is going to enter into this equation too. If the 2015 Nexus is priced as high as the N6 was, it'll cost significantly more than the X. Then again if this year's Nexus ends up with a much bigger battery and OIS.. Ugh decisions decisions.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I think price is going to enter into this equation too. If the 2015 Nexus is priced as high as the N6 was, it'll cost significantly more than the X. Then again if this year's Nexus ends up with a much bigger battery and OIS.. Ugh decisions decisions.

Exactly my dilemma, in terms of the battery. Ugh, either of the Nexus phones or either of the Moto X phones. I can't decide.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I think the LG Nexus will be in the $400 range and the Hauwei closer to $500, and at least for me the Pure will be $475 after I bump it to 32GB and include a wooden/leather back. I wouldn't choose one or the other over a few bucks, especially since I keep my phones closer to 36 months ... All things being equal, or close to it, I'll obviously go with what's less expensive, but if it's significantly better (OIS, USB-C, fingerprint sensor, larger battery) then I'll gladly pay the premium.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm interested in the "Pure". I've read that it has a 5.7" screen, and since i'm ok with my LG G3 at 5.5", it's a no brainer.:p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I will probably drop the phone a few times.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah when I first had my Moto G 1st Gen, I thought that screen was big. But then I won an LG G3 in a contest from Android Central and when I got it I thought it was a beast.😂 Now after having it for about 4 months I find the size completely normal. I would like to stay within the 5in. to 5.7in. Screen size on any phone. Any bigger is just over kill, but I could possibly get a bigger phone and get used to it. Lol. But I recently won a HTC one M8 from a YouTube contest so I will be switching to that from my Moto G 1st Gen. So that will be my main diver until something else Motorola comes to prepaid. I will really miss the Moto features and simplicity, but I love change so I will adjust just fine.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Yeah when I first had my Moto G 1st Gen, I thought that screen was big. But then I won an LG G3 in a contest from Android Central and when I got it I thought it was a beast.😂 Now after having it for about 4 months I find the size completely normal. I would like to stay within the 5in. to 5.7in. Screen size on any phone. Any bigger is just over kill, but I could possibly get a bigger phone and get used to it. Lol. But I recently won a HTC one M8 from a YouTube contest so I will be switching to that from my Moto G 1st Gen. So that will be my main diver until something else Motorola comes to prepaid. I will really miss the Moto features and simplicity, but I love change so I will adjust just fine.

throw that bad boy up on swappa and grab the Pure!!

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

5.5" is my sweet spot but using this Note 4 w/ a slimmer case hasn't proved to be a problem. Gonna wait to see what Nexus looks like but this phone looks to be my next.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I can't agree more. A Moto X Style with the Play screen and battery is exactly what I was hoping for. If the Play were being sold in the U.S. I would buy it. However, since it's not, I will buy the Style because I would rather have the Moto suite of apps than a Nexus.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

I can't agree more. A Moto X Style with the Play screen and battery is exactly what I was hoping for. If the Play were being sold in the U.S. I would buy it. However, since it's not, I will buy the Style because I would rather have the Moto suite of apps than a Nexus.
Can't we just buy the Play from overseas? I'm sure it'll be compatible with our bands here no?

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Way too big. I want a phone, not a phablet.
What he said.

Looking forward to a phone with decent size screen and the best user software available.......
A "decent" size screen? There are plenty of tablets out there for you guys to use as phones. Meanwhile us people that want a normal phone that is actually usable are pushed to the side.

For me, the trick with a large screen is having a slim case that covers the screen too. That way you can stuff it in any pocket without worry. I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and a great cheap flip over case.

I have now used my 2013 Moto G exclusively for 2 - 3 months until I get something better.

Apart from the small screen and typing difficulties, I have been enjoying holding and using it with one hand; and going naked after all this time.
It's not a small screen for a phone. Everything else is just ridiculously large and should stay in the niche space instead of the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Can't we just buy the Play from overseas? I'm sure it'll be compatible with our bands here no?

If SoC performance is a priority for you, the Play may not be a good choice. Here's a preliminary look at the Play that I found interesting.

Comparing The Motorola Moto X Style/Pure And Moto X Play Smartphones

I'm waiting to see what the Nexus 5 and Droid Turbo 2 look like before making a decision. If none look good, I'll go ahead and replace the original battery on my 2013 X and wait for Android L, thus breathing enough life back into my 2013 X to wait for the next batch of phones.

I'm with you - I'm not a big fan of the current trend in bigger displays. I suppose "don't knock it until you try it" applies but to be honest, when I'm heading out and don't need an active connection - just music/audiobooks/offline maps - I'll grab my $20 LG Optimus Zone 2 instead of my X since it's that much smaller. Size does matter!

Attachments

• sizecompare.jpg
    sizecompare.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 55

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a fingerprint scanner on my S6 Edge and it's not all that great! Unless you have on to use on a daily basis you might not realize it.
It will be a shame if fingerprint scanning across all Android devices ends up being buggy & unreliable. It works great on the iPad Air 2, and I've grown to rely on it heavily. I want the same quality on my next Android phone.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12