10-01-2015 10:56 AM
368 ... 12131415
tools
    After using the nexus 6, I just can't go back to anything smaller. Every phone 5.5 inches and smaller feels like a cheap toy afterwards. The Moto x style is actually a bit small compared to a Nexus 6 although not by much.
    08-18-2015 11:37 PM
    After using the nexus 6, I just can't go back to anything smaller. Every phone 5.5 inches and smaller feels like a cheap toy afterwards. The Moto x style is actually a bit small compared to a Nexus 6 although not by much.
    I can .
    I love my Nexus 6 and wouldn't sell it.
    But there is no way I could use a phone any bigger then it is.
    I have a LG 5.5 size screen and it isn't too bad to carry.
    4.7-5.2 size screens with minimal bezel is the "perfect sweet spots" for my hand.

I would actually like to see 4.7 size screens to make a come back but I don't see that happening. (ie : Nexus, Moto X )
    08-19-2015 11:42 AM
    I have the LG G4 and it, for me, is the perfect balance of both physical size and screen size. Had the Nexus 6 and while I loved it and used it for a while, I always felt it was just too wide for a comfortable grip. While the Pure is slightly bigger than the G4, I am glad to see they are nealy identical in width! Should be pretty comfortable to hold IMO
    somdave2005 likes this.
    08-19-2015 12:42 PM
    I've basically used the same size phone for the last four years since the DROID BIONIC and the first generation Moto X are practically the same size - though the Moto X felt much better due to the curves.

MoPhoMan likes this.
    08-19-2015 03:28 PM
    The camera and battery life though...
    Neither of which is anywhere near as bad as the Internet says they are. I usually get to bed before mine hits 15%. The camera is capable of some pretty decent shots, it is just inconsistent. But if you want quality shots, use an actual camera.

For 300$ the 2014 X is a steal. It is probably the best simi-budget buy right now. It runs so well on 5.1

Sent from my XT1096
    DC Wuff likes this.
    08-19-2015 03:56 PM
    I owned the Bionic for a couple ofonths before jumping to the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. It was a great device.

Only issues were its use of 'MotoBlur'.

The soft touch plastic back was nice though.
    08-19-2015 04:29 PM
    Neither of which is anywhere near as bad as the Internet says they are. I usually get to bed before mine hits 15%. The camera is capable of some pretty decent shots, it is just inconsistent. But if you want quality shots, use an actual camera.

For 300$ the 2014 X is a steal. It is probably the best simi-budget buy right now. It runs so well on 5.1

Sent from my XT1096
    While I'm sure the software is much better (I owned mine when it was being upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop... what a mess!), I was not impressed with the camera at all. I do own a DSLR, but I use my cell phone camera far more often. I went from the Moto X to the iPhone 6 which almost always took amazing pictures, regardless of condition. It seemed like I had to work too hard to get good pics off the Moto X. I've heard software updates have helped but the camera hardware was still lacking. But like you said, at the prices you can get it at today, it's a phenomenal phone! And so nice to hold, probably the best sized phone out there and most comfortable to hold.
    NoYankees44 likes this.
    08-19-2015 04:36 PM
    I owned the Bionic for a couple ofonths before jumping to the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. It was a great device.

Only issues were its use of 'MotoBlur'.

The soft touch plastic back was nice though.
    MotoBlur wasn't a big deal for me. It wasn't MotoBlur like on the GSM phones that had a separate account that tried to tie in all of your social networks. And it pretty much went AOSP for the UI when ICS finally came.
    08-19-2015 04:51 PM
    MotoBlur wasn't a big deal for me. It wasn't MotoBlur like on the GSM phones that had a separate account that tried to tie in all of your social networks. And it pretty much went AOSP for the UI when ICS finally came.
    ah, I remember MotoBlur on my AT&T Moto Atrix 4G! What a skin.... better than others at the time but I was so glad when they went AOSP on their phones
    08-19-2015 05:52 PM

Sent from my XT1096
    I owned three if them at release. Unless 5.1 was some miraculous turn around I bet it's about the same as it was then, which was pretty unacceptable for my needs.

Also I'm not going to carry around a camera 24x7 when a note 4 can take fantastic shots (which I've also owned and my wife still has) . The Internet needs to stop with that dumb statement whenever someone says a phone's camera is poor.

Moto needed to invest in some imagine processing stuff instead of relying on stock android to save a buck. It looks like they did which really gets me excited about the mxpe. I loved the 2013, 2014, droid turbo, and nexus 6. But I really want to be able to take consistent photos of my son without having to go run and grab my wife's phone.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    08-19-2015 06:36 PM
    I owned three if them at release. Unless 5.1 was some miraculous turn around I bet it's about the same as it was then, which was pretty unacceptable for my needs.

Also I'm not going to carry around a camera 24x7 when a note 4 can take fantastic shots (which I've also owned and my wife still has) . The Internet needs to stop with that dumb statement whenever someone says a phone's camera is poor.

Moto needed to invest in some imagine processing stuff instead of relying on stock android to save a buck. It looks like they did which really gets me excited about the mxpe. I loved the 2013, 2014, droid turbo, and nexus 6. But I really want to be able to take consistent photos of my son without having to go run and grab my wife's phone.
    The 5.1 update really was a miraculous turnaround in terms of battery life. My 2014 X sat on the shelf (replaced by a Nexus 6) from just after the 5.0 update until the 5.1 update. My wife is now using -- and loving -- the 2014 X and has absolutely no complaints about the battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-20-2015 08:21 AM
    Just saw a picture of the style next to a G4. The style is quite a bit bigger. I will have to check it out at a store, but I think it might be to big for me.

08-20-2015 01:15 PM
    Just saw a picture of the style next to a G4. The style is quite a bit bigger. I will have to check it out at a store, but I think it might be to big for me.

Isn't the g4 5.5 inch screen only though? I'm coming from the OnePlus but the Moto X style is same size, so think I'll be OK

08-20-2015 01:40 PM
    I'm all good with the size. Coming from a note 3 and unimpressed with the note 5, this seems like a great fit for me. Plus pretty much stock android. I think I'm in

Posted via Note 3
    08-20-2015 02:31 PM
    There is a reason Motorola made the Pure the size it did, It because that is what the device buying public wants. I myself cant wait for the bigger screen coming from a Turbo. I know it is personal preference and I am not trying to dis anyone who likes the smaller form factor, My real question is what does everyone think the biggest phone size will be. At some point they will become too big and there will be a back lash. I say 6 inches tops! After thet they are just too unwieldy.
    08-20-2015 11:55 PM
    I am fine w/ the Style size. It is basically Note size and that will work .
    Clocks likes this.
    08-21-2015 12:10 AM
    Every time people try to predict how big phones can get, the prediction looks dumb down the road. I thought 5" was as big as they could possibly get without looking ridiculous. When I saw the original Galaxy Note, I thought it was a joke. At the time, I was perfectly content with a 3.5" iPhone.

Now, I've got the 4.7" Moto X, which is as large as I'd like to go, but you can hardly find a phone that is less than 5.2". And the Galaxy Note series, which was considered a "phablet" not too long ago is now an average-size phone, with competitors like the LG G4, Moto X Style, and Nexus 6 all in the same area.

It will have to come to an end at some point though. As phones get bigger, and skinny jeans get skinnier, we will eventually come to a crossroad.
    whymista, GeordieAffy and dmark44 like this.
    08-21-2015 01:41 AM
    Once reviewers and trend-hounds realize that the larger screens are better for older people with failing eyesight (e.g. me) then large phones won't be cool any more and they'll start getting smaller. ;-) First, though, we'll need a more compact battery so they can get smaller without losing capability.
    diesel97, bigbuc and GeordieAffy like this.
    08-21-2015 12:38 PM
    I think 6" is about it. I believe there is a 6.1" out there but it was some no-name brand.
    Any larger and you might as well just put a phone in a tablet!
    Any larger and it will look stupid holding a laptop to your head!
    08-21-2015 12:38 PM
    5.2'' is my threshold
    Once they start not fitting in the cup holder or pockets it is an issue.

Also I am a one hander. I need to be able to pull notification drawer down from the top of the screen with my thumb.

The only benefit I see to bigger screens is watching videos and viewing photos.

I wish android would at least have more things fit on the screen with larger phones.
    What I mean is on a moto x 4.7 or nexus 6 homescreen both device fit the same amount of app icons. The icons are just bigger. That's fine for my my mom, she wears glasses, but too large for me. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing.
    dmark44 likes this.
    08-21-2015 01:14 PM
    Just run a launcher like nova and you can change the grid and utilize that extra screen size.
    jephanie and dmark44 like this.
    08-21-2015 08:38 PM
    For me, the trick with a large screen is having a slim case that covers the screen too. That way you can stuff it in any pocket without worry. I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and a great cheap flip over case.

I have now used my 2013 Moto G exclusively for 2 - 3 months until I get something better.

Apart from the small screen and typing difficulties, I have been enjoying holding and using it with one hand; and going naked after all this time.
    This. For whatever reason I find my OnePlus One with a flip case more comfortable to use than my named moto X 2014. My hope is this will be the same case with the Moto Pure, put a flip case on it and happily put that large screen to use.

08-27-2015 08:31 AM

Sent from my XT1096
    I agree as far as the camera is concerned. I don't need a better camera, I need a more consistent camera. As for battery life, however, my 2014 X absolutely cannot make it through the day without a charge. Really hoping for something better from the third gen.

08-27-2015 08:35 AM
    I think 6" is about it. I believe there is a 6.1" out there but it was some no-name brand.
    Any larger and you might as well just put a phone in a tablet!
    Any larger and it will look stupid holding a laptop to your head!
    Galaxy mega 6.3 yea it was made few years ago
    08-28-2015 09:12 PM
    As has been said many times, I wish the phone was a little smaller. I also don't like that it doesn't have an IR blaster. I actually use mine quite a bit.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-29-2015 08:06 AM
368 ... 12131415