10-01-2015 10:56 AM
368 ... 131415
tools
    Based on the sample videos that are starting to pop up on YouTube and based on reports of good battery life on comparably sized phablets with 3,000mAh batteries, I'm changing my original "I wish" to the XPE having OIS. The overall image quality seems to be very good and will likely get improvement tweaks like both previous generations did but you can see the odd fluttering that occurs when shooting video and moving the phone too quickly.

And, also, why is iOS able to record sound in slo-mo but Android cannot? That seems weird they haven't added that in yet.
    08-29-2015 08:35 AM
    Based on the sample videos that are starting to pop up on YouTube and based on reports of good battery life on comparably sized phablets with 3,000mAh batteries, I'm changing my original "I wish" to the XPE having OIS. The overall image quality seems to be very good and will likely get improvement tweaks like both previous generations did but you can see the odd fluttering that occurs when shooting video and moving the phone too quickly.

And, also, why is iOS able to record sound in slo-mo but Android cannot? That seems weird they haven't added that in yet.
    yeah iOS executes their slow motion much better than Android.

I just did a search to see if maybe M will add audio, but didn't find anything.
    08-29-2015 03:55 PM
    Honestly, at the starting price of $399, there really isn't room to complain about anything with this phone. If I had to nitpick, I'd say I'm mildly concerned about battery life and the lack of OIS. But really, other than that? Nothing. If they were asking a flagship price, I'd mention more, but $400 is an astoundingly good deal for a QHD 5.7" phone that is really solid from top to bottom.
    jephanie and Anthony_NE like this.
    08-29-2015 11:08 PM
    Lack of OIS has been proven to be a slight low light hindrance (relative to other flagships). This camera isn't as good in low light as the S6 or G4.

I've been using this camera for a few days now. It's been recently confirmed that Moto X Play has much more similar camera prowess to Moto X Style than previously thought. It does in fact have PDAF, Closed Loop Processing as well as Video Stabilisation. So literally the only difference is the speed of the ISP - that's why Play lacks burst mode, 4K/HDR 60fps video. Other than that, it's identical. That's why I can speak with confidence about the Style's camera.

So, I would say that the lack of OIS and Laser Focus is noticeable when comparing to other flagships. The camera is still great though and takes better low light images than the Nexus 5 which does have OIS.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    ewak12321 likes this.
    08-30-2015 04:53 AM
    I've been using this camera for a few days now.
    If so, the other big question is battery life. What are your observations on it?
    08-30-2015 08:27 AM
    If so, the other big question is battery life. What are your observations on it?
    He has the Play, not the Style/Pure. So if anyone would like to wager/estimate/guess a conversion factor with these differences between the two phones:

1. Moto Play has a 20% larger battery
    2. Moto Play has a lower resolution screen than the Style/Pure
    3. Moto Play's screen is .2" smaller, not a big difference.
    4. Differences in the processors between the two phones
    5. Other "X" factors I have not considered

So my totally uneducated and unscientific guess is that for SOT (screen on time)--the Pure/Style will have approximately 30% less screen on time. So let's say SOT for the Play is 6 hours, that would be 4.2 hours for the Pure/Style.
    But we'll know more once the Pure/Style is actually released and the embargoes on reviews on it are lifted and we can do some direct comparisons.
    08-30-2015 08:35 AM
    It's a little more unfair to draw comparisons between Style and Play in that regard because, unlike the camera, the batteries are quite different indeed. 3630mAh capacity, a lower-powered Snapdragon 615 and a 'mere' FHD resolution.

Having said that, you want to know, so I won't keep this info hidden from you. You can get over 8 hours SOT with the Play if you don't go too crazy on the screen brightness and GPS usage. On a particularly sunny day that requires much higher brightness I get around 6-7 hours SOT. On a frickin' crazy all-out day with constant GPS, high brightness, heavy camera usage and other power hogs I get 5 hours SOT.

The following was achieved without the use of the power saving mode in Lollipop (the one that can automatically kick in at 15% or 5% depending on settings):

ewak12321 likes this.
    08-30-2015 08:41 AM
    Honestly, at the starting price of $399, there really isn't room to complain about anything with this phone. If I had to nitpick, I'd say I'm mildly concerned about battery life and the lack of OIS. But really, other than that? Nothing. If they were asking a flagship price, I'd mention more, but $400 is an astoundingly good deal for a QHD 5.7" phone that is really solid from top to bottom.
    features, yes, I agree with not being able to complain (that won't stop us though). performance is another issue. I'll be curious to see what impact Lenovo has on future updates, so it'll be some time for a fair evaluation.

as far as being concerned with battery, I agree, obviously would've liked to had seen them use the same size as the Play version, but I'll reserve judgment, especially since I've never had quick charge.
    08-30-2015 08:57 AM
    Lack of OIS has been proven to be a slight low light hindrance (relative to other flagships). This camera isn't as good in low light as the S6 or G4.

I've been using this camera for a few days now. It's been recently confirmed that Moto X Play has much more similar camera prowess to Moto X Style than previously thought. It does in fact have PDAF, Closed Loop Processing as well as Video Stabilisation. So literally the only difference is the speed of the ISP - that's why Play lacks burst mode, 4K/HDR 60fps video. Other than that, it's identical. That's why I can speak with confidence about the Style's camera.

So, I would say that the lack of OIS and Laser Focus is noticeable when comparing to other flagships. The camera is still great though and takes better low light images than the Nexus 5 which does have OIS.

is there a single Moto fan that wouldn't have signed up for it being slightly below the S6/G4? I'm happy we're using it in the same sentence. always room for improvement, but sounds like Moto actually made some decent progress this year.

** and I'll leave out the whole, yeah but it's only $400 thing. reading Phil's review on the Moto G was so annoying, he finished every paragraph (mentioned the price 12x in that review ... not that I'm counting) reminding us it's a $200 smartphone, we get it!
    kj11 likes this.
    08-30-2015 09:02 AM
    He has the Play, not the Style/Pure. So if anyone would like to wager/estimate/guess a conversion factor with these differences between the two phones:

1. Moto Play has a 20% larger battery
    2. Moto Play has a lower resolution screen than the Style/Pure
    3. Moto Play's screen is .2" smaller, not a big difference.
    4. Differences in the processors between the two phones
    5. Other "X" factors I have not considered

So my totally uneducated and unscientific guess is that for SOT (screen on time)--the Pure/Style will have approximately 30% less screen on time. So let's say SOT for the Play is 6 hours, that would be 4.2 hours for the Pure/Style.
    But we'll know more once the Pure/Style is actually released and the embargoes on reviews on it are lifted and we can do some direct comparisons.
    you forgot to show your work, where's the algorithm that went into that?!?
    benjamminh likes this.
    08-30-2015 09:04 AM
    If the Play does have a solid 8 hours SOT (your mileage may vary a lot, I'm sort of skeptical for my use) I would be very satisfied if the Pure/Style achieved 5.4 hours SOT for what it's worth.
    08-30-2015 09:08 AM
    He has the Play, not the Style/Pure.
    Ah. I was reading the comments as if he had a pre-release of the Style/Pure.
    08-30-2015 09:10 AM
    is there a single Moto fan that wouldn't have signed up for it being slightly below the S6/G4? I'm happy we're using it in the same sentence. always room for improvement, but sounds like Moto actually made some decent progress this year.

** and I'll leave out the whole, yeah but it's only $400 thing. reading Phil's review on the Moto G was so annoying, he finished every paragraph (mentioned the price 12x in that review ... not that I'm counting) reminding us it's a $200 smartphone, we get it!
    You won't see me complaining about this camera. Is it perfect? Nah, of course not, but it's pretty damn great and a quantum leap over Motorola's previous offerings.

Moto X Style will face fierce competition here in the UK as the LG G4 is actually cheaper and the Galaxy S6 doesn't cost that much more. That being said, the Style offers so much besides just the camera, which easily levels the playing field.

jephanie likes this.
    08-30-2015 09:11 AM
    So my POSITIVE thoughts on the device are:

Great screen – the LCD looks fantastic. I am coming from an s6 so I know about great screens and this one rocks. The only knock against it is the viewing angles aren’t great but that only rarely impacts my use.

Strong build – feels solid.

Great feel in hand – this is so important to long term satisfaction. It’s the smallest “big” device in terms of feel in hand. I have big hands and most of the time I can use it one handed.

Blazing fast – vanilla android. Faster than my S6 which was very fast. So smooth and sexy.

SD card – got my 64GB Class 10 for $18.

Motocare – so now I can go naked more often. Still careful cause I don’t want to lose my deductible or go through the hassle.

The camera is really good in many situations. There are about 10-15% of the time when it’s merely adequate (low light usually). It does a good job of capturing my kids who are constantly moving, providing the light is decent.

Front facing speakers – they are awesome. Awesome.

Moto app – I like the motion detection and notification stuff. I use voice activation more than I thought I would. Feels weird at first and then you give less and less of a *uck. I haven’t used the driving mode because it would take too long for any phone to detect fast movement and initiate actions. Haven’t had the device read text messages to me yet. I imagine that would bother me when I’m streaming music or a book while driving.
    Battery life for me has been very good. It’s not a beast, but probably 40% better than my S6. Plus turbo charging negates battery life in many ways.

Motorola has a great rep for updating devices – that’s cool.

Negatives
    Hardly any accessories. Heck, even basic screen protectors have limited availability. Cases have long waits and their aren’t many choices. I’ve order this one to pop on when I think I’ll need it. Should get it tomorrow. http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Unicor...cUvbUpU4720634

The earpiece volume seems a little quiet when I’m on a call. Not sure what’s up with that. It hasn’t been so quiet that I can’t hear, yet. But I think in a bar or resturant it’d be hard to talk to someone.

So that’s it. I am very happy with my purchase and I’m coming from an S6 which is also a superb device. But the MXPE beats it in my opinion.
    09-30-2015 09:56 PM
    Nice summary - I too came from the S6, I must say I prefer everything on the Moto X compared to the S6. I prefer the larger size, better battery, better grip and feel in the hand, leather, front facing speakers and stock Android. I do miss my double tap on the home screen to launch the camera, I feel daft twisting my hand to take a photo. People keep thinking I've got a twitch. And for the life of me I can't get the karate chop motion to work 100% of the time. I just gave up in the end
    10-01-2015 02:35 AM
    Nice summary - I too came from the S6, I must say I prefer everything on the Moto X compared to the S6. I prefer the larger size, better battery, better grip and feel in the hand, leather, front facing speakers and stock Android. I do miss my double tap on the home screen to launch the camera, I feel daft twisting my hand to take a photo. People keep thinking I've got a twitch. And for the life of me I can't get the karate chop motion to work 100% of the time. I just gave up in the end
    Perhaps I'm telling you something you already know but using Nova launcher you can program the double tap to do anything you want, including opening the camera app.

Posted via the Android Central App
    the tall guy and AustinTech like this.
    10-01-2015 06:49 AM
    Perhaps I'm telling you something you already know but using Nova launcher you can program the double tap to do anything you want, including opening the camera app.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanks for that info - tbh I haven't used Nova in a long time, will check that out tonight.
    10-01-2015 07:50 AM
    Thanks for this!

I would like someone to create a battery case for the phone.
    10-01-2015 10:56 AM
368 ... 131415