Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

For me, the Moto X Style is the closest thing to a must-buy that I've ever seen.

I jumped to a Nexus 6 after the 5.0 update borked my 2014 Moto X. I'm fine with the Nexus 6's size for usage purposes, but it's sometimes a little difficult to pocket (I don't wear skinny jeans, but some of my pants and shorts have shallower pockets than can comfortably accommodate that giant phone). And I REEEAAALLY miss the Moto X features, especially Moto Display/Active Notifications as compared to Ambient Display. So a slightly thinner/smaller Nexus 6 with the Moto features is EXACTLY what I want, especially now that Moto has regained my confidence by releasing a home-run 5.1 update to the 2014 X, which I've now given to my wife to get her off of her god-forsaken iPhone 5S. After I get the Style, I'll keep the Nexus 6 as a backup and for playing around with Android M, but I'm in no rush to get M on the Style.

All that being said, I would have liked to see OIS and/or USB-C and/or a fingerprint scanner and/or a slightly bigger battery and/or an AMOLED screen (mainly for viewing in landscape with polarized sunglasses), and I would have been OK with them keeping the screen at about 5.5", but none of those is a deal-breaker for me -- especially at the $399 price point.

Not even the LG Nexus -- regardless of what it brings to the table -- is going to be able to sway me from this phone, I don't think.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

My like for my gen 1 moto x had a lot of influence in me buying a 2nd gen moto x. 2nd gen wise, I like the size, the design, the device connectivity and the innovative moto apps. Im not to happy with the battery life, the platform instability, useless but required google apps-processes, screen brightness/readability, crummy battery life and the infrequent and unstable OS updates. With this in mind im not in any hurry to "upgrade" from a phone that i paid over $500 (PE 1095 X) less than a year ago just to think thats its going to be better. Not to mention..that the resale of my 2nd gen will plunge further down the cell phone toilet with the release of the 3rd gen...

HEAHA

Banned
Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

How are you in Contract with the Maxx and Unlimited?
Unlimiteds been gone for years and if you got the Maxx at contract you would have lost unlimited

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Moto made same calculation they did with 2014 model. They assume quick charging offsets battery weakness. The 2014 model was marginal at best on battery life and it certainly does not get better with age. Hopefully, this one starts out better. If you are at a desk all day and can plug in, it is no big deal, but if you don't have easy access to power, you may need to carry a battery charger.

If they shipped with quick charge car and home chargers, I could see that being a perfectly resaonable argument.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

How are you in Contract with the Maxx and Unlimited?
Unlimiteds been gone for years and if you got the Maxx at contract you would have lost unlimited

There are loop holes.

HEAHA

Banned
Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

- No Amoled Screen - How will this effect Moto Display battery Drain?

- No Wireless Charging - Can Live without it, but in almost 2016, it would have been nice

- No USB C - No reason for this Omission

- Battery Still Small = Should be the size of the Moto x Play - Screen Size, Type, RAM and Processor "Upgrades" Will presumably all Drain more than this years version. So the small size upgrade may be a wash. Just as last years basically identical battery size, ended up with less Usage for most users than the 2013 model.

- No OIS Camera - So unless you take Closeups in full light ( The ONLY thing phone Cameras are good at) - The cam will always be, that much more sub-par

As to the Camera Claims - Name One smartphone Released by any OEM for the last 6+ years, that doesn't make Claims of hows It's the Best Camera, It's been Improved and enhanced with (Insert new name for Old Technolgy) etc.
Wouldn't it be refreshing to have just One OEM claim "The Camera ( Lens, Sensor, Software) is what it is. Nothing more, Nothing Less. Any selfie absorbed teen Girl will be perfectly happy with it etc... But we Saved ( x ) $ Doing so!

And the Real Deal Breaker will Be if or Not the Pure Edition will Fully work on Verizon, Have ZERO Verizon apps, Be Totally independent of Verizon for upgrades, Bug fixes etc and MOST IMPORTANTLY - Be able to Use Data and Voice Simultaneously - As it stands now, 10 moths after release the 2014 Verizon version, still cant and is a glorified paper weight because of this Mandatory feature still not being FIXED. Verizon blames Moto - Moto blames Verizon and both will blame google if you talk to enough people

Last edited:

HEAHA

Banned
Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

Motorola is really focusing on something that everyone is missing. That is, choosing to go direct to consumer. Bypassing carriers in the US is a huge disruptor. By going down this road, end user price became very important, and as such there were things that needed to be left out. Namely fingerprint scanners, USB-c, and wireless charging because even if the lack of these features may be a deal breaker for you, it is not for the majority. They certainly could have included all of the goodies just not anywhere near the current price point. I applaud this move with vigor, I just really wish it was 5.5 or smaller.

All true... But, To date Moto X sales have been a bust. that's the 2013 model and the 2014 model , Combined or independently. The mere fact that they are Going for number three is the Real revelation here, ( Three Strike Rule?)
Cutting out the Carrier Middle man while extremely important and Much needed. To anybody who knows anything about Android. May in the end be the Nail in the coffin for the X and Motorola ( In the USA ).
Americans Demand Carrier subsidies and seemingly, can't be weened off them. Even the "Mighty" Apple depends on these for well over 90% of its USA sales. If the Carrier Model (Style) is one penny on a contract, 98 out of 100 Americans will buy it that way. And rest assured, With in two months of release if Not Weeks it will be One penny on contract from the carrier. Just like every phone before it.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

I have always bought my phones unlocked.

These 'subsidies' are not good value at all when the device contracts cost so much more than a simple SIM-only contract and ties you in for a year or two. You end up paying the same (often more) in the long term and lack the freedom to upgrade phones or change networks whenever you want. Also can't forget to mention the horrendously slow updates and excessive bloatware.

Not worth it. No idea why Americans love being tied into contracts so much. I mean, US phones are significantly cheaper unlocked than phones over here in UK are anyway - example; Moto X Style costs £359 ($560) in UK while it only costs $399 in the US - that's 40% extra for us Brits despite VAT being only 20%!!!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I have always bought my phones unlocked.

These 'subsidies' are not good value at all when the device contracts cost so much more than a simple SIM-only contract and ties you in for a year or two. You end up paying the same (often more) in the long term and lack the freedom to upgrade phones or change networks whenever you want. Also can't forget to mention the horrendously slow updates and excessive bloatware.

Not worth it. No idea why Americans love being tied into contracts so much. I mean, US phones are significantly cheaper unlocked than phones over here in UK are anyway - example; Moto X Style costs £359 ($560) in UK while it only costs $399 in the US - that's 40% extra for us Brits despite VAT being only 20%!!!

Is that for the UK 16gb version. Drat. (where?)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Is that for the UK 16gb version. Drat. (where?)
I assume that's the price if bought directly from Motorola. Yeah, that's the 16GB model. Moto X Play will start at £279 for the 16GB model.

I would post the link to my information source but seems that I can't post links yet as I recently signed up to these forums.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I assume that's the price if bought directly from Motorola. Yeah, that's the 16GB model. Moto X Play will start at £279 for the 16GB model.

I would post the link to my information source but seems that I can't post links yet as I recently signed up to these forums.

No need. I started to think that was probably what I was expecting after all and still isn't so bad; but I hope it's less than £50 per jump to 32 and 64gb on the Style, coz then it's into Note 4 territory on Amazon. I don't know which would be a better buy then, but it's still a lot cheaper than a Note 5 will be.

Nighty night.

Welcome to Android Central!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
USB C won't really be properly supported until November. Moto is releasing it in September. Unless they deviate from stock, they're releasing a lollipop device rather than a marshmallow device.

Also, wasn't my 2014 x a 2300 mAh battery? 3000 is a great jump UP to more than the s6 and on par with the G4, which according to most, is a battery champ. It's not a note 4, but then neither is a note 4.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I agree.
But you are Not an American and the avg. American Doesn't care or Know about any of that.
What they care about is cost. Not something that actually requires rudimentary Math! Or, Mystery factors like built in costs to their plan which may or may not in the end, cost them more.

have been spoon fed the 24 month Zero to $199 down plan for decades and can't be weened off of them. The carriers have been halfheartedly trying to do so. But as much as they may or may Not actually want to get rid of the staus quo. It all comes down to $$$. If Contracts and subsidized phones is what sells and more importantly ( to the Carrier) keeps you locked to them. That's what is going to happen.
Verizon, with their new subsidiy alternatives like the Edge plan. Which are a total Rip off, haven't helped matters.

Americans , like it or Not are money obsessed and for the most part Stupid.
They walk into a Verizon store, See Dozens of iPhones and some Samsungs and if Lucky a working Moto X and they are told its only 99 cents down or maybe the full $199 if its new and Nothing else will change on their plan. The Carrier will even throw in some extra minutes or something that doesn't cost them anything. And the deal is Done.

For the One out of 100 who asks how much it is to buy it outright. When they come out of Sticker Shock, Then also find out that if they pay the full $600+ their plan stays the same = No discount even though the phone isn't being subsidized. Which up until just very recently on most USA carriers, was what happened So, they just end up signing another contract and in their minds, saving at least $400+ of out of pocket money.

On verizon, the ONLY people paying full price are those desparately trying to hold onto a long gone, Unlimited Data plan.

Speak for yourself when you call Americans "stupid"; which is rude, anyway, btw. I, as an American, prefer to buy a phone outright and go prepaid monthly. That way, I can buy whatever phone I want and pay to use it however long I want, and have the freedom to upgrade or downgrade the plan depending on my usage.

Posted via the Android Central App

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I really don't understand why one of these companies can't make the perfect smartphone. Moto is so close. Why make the Moto X a phablet, like the Nexus? Why not include OIS? Why put a bigger battery in the play edition? I would rather pay an extra $100 and have the OIS and bigger battery.
The simple answer is that engineers don't dictate these things, marketing and finance departments do. In the case of phones like the Moto X, OPO2, zenphone2, Idol3 etc, this means certain things get slashed to accommodate a sub $400 price tag and what gets slashed is determined by bean counters and marketers not engineers and smartphone fans

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

my next phone, however I wish it had a fingerprint reader, wireless charging and a little more bump for battery (unless it lasts long already). I wish it had a 5.5 version but I will have to see it in person, I may get used to 5.7. Excited to see it!

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Speak for yourself when you call Americans "stupid"; which is rude, anyway, btw. I, as an American, prefer to buy a phone outright and go prepaid monthly. That way, I can buy whatever phone I want and pay to use it however long I want, and have the freedom to upgrade or downgrade the plan depending on my usage.

He isn't exactly wrong. I do the same thing as you, although atm I'm on family plan T-Mo....but the majority of Americans do not do this.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I really think the battery issue is more of a "most people are close enough to an outlet for a quick charge" thing.

I like coming home from a long shift and still have 50 percent battery left, because some nights im super busy on the phone and i come home with closer to 30, and on nights like those im not close to an outlet.

Ive been spoiled on bigger batteries since the original razr maxx came out, i couldnt imagine having to charge my phone as much during the day as some do.

Ive upgraded every year the last few years because of being able to either use edge or verizon offered me an early upgrade. I liked that i didnt have to fork out the full price all at once.

And as far as the edge program, i know some see it as a rip off, but when im paying 40 dollars for my additional lines, and i edge up one of them, that 40 dollars drops to 20, so for instance my note 4 i had only raised my bill 7 dollars a month because my 40 had dropped to 20, and i was paying 27 a month for the phone. So how am i getting screwed?

I realize different people on these forums have different needs and budgets, it doesnt make one better than the other, what it does does is give us the consumer choices, which works for us as well as higher sales for the company.

I wish marketing for these phone companies would read forums like AC, to get a true idea of what consumers want. We are a pretty diverse group of people on here. The problem is whoever is in charge has steve jobs syndrome thinking they know what the people want more than the people do, because apple is such a success originally using that philosophy.

Rant over lol

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

I wish they would have made a 5.1" Moto x. Not a bad phone but after having the S6 Edge, it's sometimes nice to not have a phablet.
Still a great phone. I absolutely Love moto assist. It's not so big that I would say I would never own one, but if I were to go 5.7" I will need to wait and see what Samsung brings to the table on the note 5.
Either way, the new Moto X is a really nice and price is great.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I wish they would have made a 5.1" Moto x. Not a bad phone but after having the S6 Edge, it's sometimes nice to not have a phablet.
Still a great phone. I absolutely Love moto assist. It's not so big that I would say I would never own one, but if I were to go 5.7" I will need to wait and see what Samsung brings to the table on the note 5.
Either way, the new Moto X is a really nice and price is great.

I bought the droid turbo on release day, and w the 5.2 inch screen its about perfect for me. I started missing my note3 so i got a note4 and had it a couple months and really started to miss the turbo. Luckily my daughter had got my turbo and she wanted my note4 so we just traded back.

When i got my turbo back it felt so much smaller, but still had a nice big screen..

Point is i see where moto should have kept the x at around 5 inches, and make a phablet separate. Samsung does that right. But it seems moto just went all out and made too big of leap to 5.7

You would think that w the new moto being priced so well, instead of a moto g they could have made a moto x that size and still keep the price way down.

TheCube

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We should remember that despite the 5.7-inch screen, the Moto X is 4.2 mm shorter and 1.6 mm narrower than the iPhone 6 Plus with the 5.5 inch display. Add in the classic Moto curve and the phone will probably handle better than the screen size indicates.

I'll be jumping to something from my Nexus 5, and unless the next Nexus has a great camera, it looks like the Moto X has my money so far.