10-01-2015 11:56 AM
368 ... 56789 ...
tools
    What. That's the cheapest you can get? You can get 4GB 4G data SIM-only monthly rolling contract for £15 in UK. 15*24=360. £360 = ~$561.73 for two years (as of the date of this post). This isn't the cheapest contract available, just an example.

Are SIM-only phone contracts really that much more expensive in the USA? That would explain why Americans love their two year contracts so much. And before you all get jealous, just take into account that the actual phones themselves usually cost 40-50% more in the UK than the US unlocked! We're all getting ripped off in different ways.
    I wouldn't say "Americans love their two year contacts." Most people in the US simply aren't aware that there's an option. And if/when they do find out they can save $15 a month and be contact free with no bloat if they simply purchase it outright, that idea is so foreign to most, and adapted by so few, that they don't go ahead and do it.

Also, they'll walk into their carriers store, expecting to shell out $100-$200 or whatever, and leave with a phone that day. So they're not prepared to drop $600 and they just want it now.

Most people, at least that I know, stick with the same carrier, so having the flexibility to switch just isn't that important. They've never seen a phone with no bloat, they don't know what unlocked means, nor do they care, and the fact Verizon's tramp stamp litters their phone, for completely unnoticed.

It's just the way it is and people simply don't know there's a different way, not when these companies are spending millions to make sure things stay just the way they are.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jephanie likes this.
    07-30-2015 05:23 AM
    Mod Note :Cleaned up some posts. Let's keep things on topic.
    07-30-2015 09:27 AM
    he's wrong and so are you. uninformed and impatient might be better words, but to use the word "stupid" when referring to something as meaningless as a phone, is completely out of line. my Dad us the smartest person I know, despite the fact that he probably doesn't even know how to transfer songs to his iPod (he's 75), he's an ivy league graduate who is brilliant in finance and had a long, successful career. When he needs a phone, he knows of one option, walk into Verizon, see something he likes, then asks the kids behind the counter where to sign and how much. But you're right, he and is other 300 million Americans are all stupid.

Yeah...I'm confused. Am I right or am I wrong?

I didn't really call anyone stupid and I was agreeing with his point in regards to how Americans purchase phones.

Nobody knows everything. You can be stupid and smart at the same time.

Stupid also refers to lacking common sense and I'd think if you're going to sign on a dotted line and sign a commitment for 2 years of your life...You're going to educate yourself on what your options are. Either way....Uninformed is a good word and I'm sure a slew of others to describe some situations. But as an American, I'm not insulted if someone calls them stupid in this circumstance.

As for your Dad, he's 75 and has money to spend...he's buying phones and service the right way for his situation imo.

What. That's the cheapest you can get? You can get 4GB 4G data SIM-only monthly rolling contract for £15 in UK. 15*24=360. £360 = ~$561.73 for two years (as of the date of this post). This isn't the cheapest contract available, just an example.

Are SIM-only phone contracts really that much more expensive in the USA? That would explain why Americans love their two year contracts so much. And before you all get jealous, just take into account that the actual phones themselves usually cost 40-50% more in the UK than the US unlocked! We're all getting ripped off in different ways.
    Yeah Cricket is about as cheap as it gets for 5 lines.

Phone service just isn't like it is in other parts of the world. We get the advantage of having cheaper options on phones though. Most of the time you can't take your phone to any company you want and choose a nice cheap plan.(Which is what makes this phone so attractive to me) But we do have more options now than we've had in the past and that's a good thing.
    07-30-2015 09:37 AM
    I would rather see them design a $400 version of the Play for the flagship moto x.
    They will. It will be called the Droid Maxx II (or some such variation). It will have some nice upgrades over the Play version, but it will also be a Verizon exclusive that costs twice as much.
    07-30-2015 09:46 AM
    They will. It will be called the Droid Maxx II (or some such variation). It will have some nice upgrades over the Play version, but it will also be a Verizon exclusive that costs twice as much.
    Well now I'm wondering though... I think I read that the Moto X will only(?) be sold unlocked from Motorola, Amazon and Best Buy. Does that mean no more Motorola Droids for Verizon?
    07-30-2015 10:06 AM
    Well now I'm wondering though... I think I read that the Moto X will only(?) be sold unlocked from Motorola, Amazon and Best Buy. Does that mean no more Motorola Droids for Verizon?
    No. The motorola/Verizon contract is alive and well. You'll see the new Droid(s) sometime before October.

katesbb likes this.
    07-30-2015 10:34 AM
    It's not awful, but it's definitely not a battery champ, considering it's powering a 5.7" 1440p display.

The Turbo or even the new play is what I wanted to see or of the Moto X Pure. Also, the G4 is decent from what I've heard, and the replaceable battery is a huge plus, but it doesn't get much more SOT than the S6.

To be fair, other than messing around with my friends S6 and using the G4 at Best Buy for about 40 minutes, I don't own either phone, so I'm just going by what I've read from reviews/forums.

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on real world battery when this gets in people's hands. As far as I'm concerned, simple physics dictates that a QHD display + large screen + apparent drain issues with lollipop = too much power draw for a small battery, as has been evident with the much too small 2550 mAh battery in the S6. I'll be waiting to see how the X compares to that with 3000 mAh. Especially the Pure Edition. I'm hoping to see what battery life results we will get when certain carrier features (ie. wifi calling) which are possible suspects for battery drain are removed from the equation.
    07-30-2015 11:38 AM
    I'm glad this thing will have an LCD. After using mostly LCDs for years, I owned a Galaxy S6 for 2 months and now own a Nexus 6. I will not be buying another phone with an AMOLED screen any time soon. So many people are bamboozled by their super poppy (read inaccurate) colors, but somehow are completely blind to the fact that they absolutely suck at displaying white and light grays. They all have poor uniformity and often have green or pint tints on some portion of the screen. Bleh, they just aren't good at anything except displaying complete black, which is to say, they're only good when they're off lol.
    Good at displaying complete black is exactly what you want for Active Display though, lighting up only those parts of the screen you need. Also, AMOLED is superior for viewing through polarized sunglasses, a big consideration for some.
    07-30-2015 02:48 PM
    Like others, I'm concerned about the size. I could probably get used to a larger screen size, but I don't know that my pocket can!

07-30-2015 02:55 PM
    Good at displaying complete black is exactly what you want for Active Display though, lighting up only those parts of the screen you need. Also, AMOLED is superior for viewing through polarized sunglasses, a big consideration for some.
    The glimpses we've seen from the limited hands-on videos that show the Moto Display seem identical to my experience with the previous two generations. So I am optimistic. Besides, it was arguably a disruptive and extremely innovative feature that sets Moto apart. I highly doubt they would do something to screw that up with the Style/Pure Edition.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    07-30-2015 03:37 PM
    Yeah...I'm confused. Am I right or am I wrong?

I didn't really call anyone stupid and I was agreeing with his point in regards to how Americans purchase phones.

Nobody knows everything. You can be stupid and smart at the same time.

Stupid also refers to lacking common sense and I'd think if you're going to sign on a dotted line and sign a commitment for 2 years of your life...You're going to educate yourself on what your options are. Either way....Uninformed is a good word and I'm sure a slew of others to describe some situations. But as an American, I'm not insulted if someone calls them stupid in this circumstance.

As for your Dad, he's 75 and has money to spend...he's buying phones and service the right way for his situation imo.

Yeah Cricket is about as cheap as it gets for 5 lines.

Phone service just isn't like it is in other parts of the world. We get the advantage of having cheaper options on phones though. Most of the time you can't take your phone to any company you want and choose a nice cheap plan.(Which is what makes this phone so attractive to me) But we do have more options now than we've had in the past and that's a good thing.
    that's a fair assessment ... I can get on board with that!

Woosh likes this.
    07-30-2015 03:58 PM
    I have the leather moto x 2014 and I feel that the grip is not very good. The leather has no grip at all and the metal surround would be better if it were serrated like the power button. I have to keep the phone in a case.

I hope the new silicone backed moto x style has a better grip.

What's the point of having a premium looking phone and hiding it away in a bland looking case.

07-30-2015 04:17 PM
    Like others, I'm concerned about the size. I could probably get used to a larger screen size, but I don't know that my pocket can!

Yea the current Moto X is already pretty obvious in my pocket. This would be quite the stretch.

07-30-2015 04:57 PM
    I was really hoping it'd be available through carriers. As a Sprint employee I would have gotten the phone at $5 a month. There just is no way I can spend $399 on it upfront when I can get a Note 5 at $10 a month instead.
    07-30-2015 07:23 PM
    I was really hoping it'd be available through carriers. As a Sprint employee I would have gotten the phone at $5 a month. There just is no way I can spend $399 on it upfront when I can get a Note 5 at $10 a month instead.
    The $10 a month, is that for the phone on a two year contract, or is that what you pay for the service?

07-30-2015 07:40 PM
    Can you get a note 5 for $10 a month and sell it?
    07-30-2015 08:09 PM
    You don't have to do $399 up front. Motorola offers financing options on their website, so you can get it with an 18 month payment plan. $0 down, $22 per month.
    07-30-2015 09:25 PM
    You don't have to do $399 up front. Motorola offers financing options on their website, so you can get it with an 18 month payment plan. $0 down, $22 per month.
    I think he's just here to brag about his employee discount.
    07-30-2015 09:35 PM
    I think I'm out. That big of a phone just won't be comfortable in the pocket. I don't understand why they didn't stick with a 5.2 inch screen. Smaller size would save some battery.
    07-30-2015 09:54 PM
    Least: S I Z E
    07-30-2015 11:34 PM
    I think he's just here to brag about his employee discount.
    Sprint. You can brag about the discount. Just not the service/coverage....
    07-31-2015 12:52 AM
    It is going to be available through the carriers, There is the Moto X Pure = Through Motorola, which may or may not have bloat at least as far as verizon is concerned. And the Moto X Style, which is the same exact phone with all carrier Bloat guaranteed to be on it. As well as things like 99 Cent pricing well before thanksgiving
    07-31-2015 01:13 AM
    I was hoping for a smaller screen with this version. I've got a Nexus 6 and it very nearly perfect for me, until I have to carry it. So, the N6 is the weekend phone and the 14 Moto G goes to work with me. Looks like I'll hold off until I see the Nexus 5.
    07-31-2015 06:58 AM
    I think I've decided on the Play rather than the Style. The promise of long battery life is too good to pass up. I have doubts over the potential longevity of the Style with the more power hungry SOC, QHD display and smaller battery. The nearer release date also makes me gravitate towards the Moto X Play. I just wish it had dual stereo speakers like the Style but no phone is perfect I guess.

Coming from a Nexus 5, battery and camera are my two biggest priorities. Can't wait to upgrade, though the Nexus 5 will always have a place in my heart.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-31-2015 08:21 AM
    As others have mentioned, I'm not thrilled about the size of the device or the battery. Camera quality is going to require some real world testing, so who knows how that will turn out. I probably won't be picking this up, but we'll see.
    07-31-2015 10:02 AM
368 ... 56789 ...