10-01-2015 11:56 AM
368 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I was really bummed when Motorola went from 4.7 to 5.2" for 2014 as the 2013 Moto X really was the perfect phone for me for one handed use. I decided to move to the 2014 model anyway and as expected one handed use become very difficult for me but I did enjoy the larger screen for everything else. I think the move to 5.2" made me realize that at least for me 80% of the time the larger screen is a benefit so while it sucks to lose some of the one handed use ability it's offset by the benefit of the larger screen. As long as the new Moto X is more manageable to hold then a Nexus 6 which is too big for me then it will definitely be a very likely new phone for me. I will still probably sit out til at least November to see what happens with the new Nexus phones and the roll out of Android M as I am not in that big of a rush.

On a side rant though I wish someone whether it be Motorola or realistically Google itself to create a reach-ability type feature to better accommodate one handed use on these large phones. You'd think this would be a software feature Motorola would have thought of when they moved the whole Moto X line to phablet size.
    08-02-2015 02:44 PM
    I think that the Moto X 2015 should have been smaller. A five inch smartphone would have been ideal. Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk
    cdubb1 likes this.
    08-02-2015 02:51 PM
    I'm fine with the size but I don't keep my phones in my front pocket. It'll be curious to see how good the camera is on the Style.

Sent from the Elegance
    08-02-2015 03:21 PM
    Do we have any confirmation that the bootloader will be unlocked like the 2014 pure edition? I know they advertise it as unlocked but I assume they are referring to sim lock
    08-02-2015 11:32 PM
    Way too big. I want a phone, not a phablet.
    cdubb1 likes this.
    08-03-2015 11:02 AM
    I so sad.

I'm almost (not quite) to the point of upgrading my 2013 X to a 2015 G. Except, it doesn't work on Sprint.

Is it too much to ask, all I want is my 2013 X with a small processor bump that would include more LTE bands for Spark and carrier aggregation?
    Why can't I have this?

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Nexus 5 announcement, not like 5.2" isn't giant, too.
    I love my AMOLED. I love my 720p. I love my battery. I love my size. So much was right in 2013. So much is still wrong for me to replace it. In fact, I lost my beautiful wood backed 2013 Mardi Gras day (it was one of those day), and I promptly went to Best Buy and bought another one. I have an HTC phablet for work that stays at my desk. I can't even imagine carrying that around as a personal phone.
    08-03-2015 12:13 PM
    I so sad.

I'm almost (not quite) to the point of upgrading my 2013 X to a 2015 G. Except, it doesn't work on Sprint.

Is it too much to ask, all I want is my 2013 X with a small processor bump that would include more LTE bands for Spark and carrier aggregation?
    Why can't I have this?

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Nexus 5 announcement, not like 5.2" isn't giant, too.
    I love my AMOLED. I love my 720p. I love my battery. I love my size. So much was right in 2013. So much is still wrong for me to replace it. In fact, I lost my beautiful wood backed 2013 Mardi Gras day (it was one of those day), and I promptly went to Best Buy and bought another one. I have an HTC phablet for work that stays at my desk. I can't even imagine carrying that around as a personal phone.
    Loved the size of my 2013 X. Hate the size of the 2014 X (which I use now).

At this point, there is no stopping it, so might as well go big. I've been contemplating a Nexus 6 for the last month or so (my wife has one). The 2015 X is going to be my next.
    08-03-2015 12:24 PM
    Do we have any confirmation that the bootloader will be unlocked like the 2014 pure edition? I know they advertise it as unlocked but I assume they are referring to sim lock
    No, and yes they are. So far no word on the bootloader.
    08-03-2015 12:32 PM
    People are buying larger phones. It makes sense for Motorola to focus on this space.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-03-2015 12:53 PM
    Visual Phone Size Comparison
    anon8380037 and jephanie like this.
    08-03-2015 12:55 PM
    If you live in an area that gets a good signal, it doesn't matter what phone you buy. I live in a Verizon fringe area in Phoenix. I had always used Motorola phones until I bought a Samsung Note 3 which was a great phone but it dropped 7% of my calls. There were times I could not even connect to make a phone call. Verizon told me there were not going to install any more cell towers near here so I was stuck with lousy service. However, I bought a Motorola Nexus 6 and I have not had a dropped call since then, which has been 6 months.I have been told that Motorola has the best radios and now I know that is true.
    As you may guess, I will only use Motorola phones now. Even if I move from here, I may still land in an area that has lousy service.
    So, I may keep my Nexus 6 or buy the 2015 pure.
    08-03-2015 01:03 PM
    Still concerned about the possible indiscriminate backlighting on a large screen, coming from a previous Note 3 with SuperAmoled, currently using a '13 Moto G as a daily, and seeing a 3rd gen Moto G in a store (not impressed visually, but the spec is better).

So the reviews can't come soon enough - then Motorola can have my money for an XS or XP, as someone on the Note 5 forums cleverly called them. (both available in UK).

On the issue of reviews, I hope most site reviewers will take Super Amoled users in to account.
    What may seem impressive to an led user may become tiresome quickly to someone coming from a different large screen technology.

I am sure however, resolution aside, the X screens will be superior to any Moto G.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-03-2015 01:21 PM
    Looking forward to a phone with decent size screen and the best user software available.......
    Aquila likes this.
    08-03-2015 03:24 PM
    Hits - No crappy useless carrier versions and price.

Miss - No fingerprint scanner, small capacity battery for the size of the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    08-03-2015 03:49 PM
    Please confirm this as I think it's something I did not realize ... In the US, we will only have the Pure Edition? Is that right?

If so, I'd love to have a phone that can be updated without Verizon's interference.

Thank you.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Aquila likes this.
    08-03-2015 04:11 PM
    I really like the support for all the major US carriers through one device, near stock android and the goodies Moto bakes in, and the great design with the ability to customize via Moto Maker. Also, expandable storage is always a welcomed feature.

The only negative thing I can think of is no OIS. However, I'll reserve my criticism until reviews come out and I'm able to use one.
    08-03-2015 04:39 PM
    Please confirm this as I think it's something I did not realize ... In the US, we will only have the Pure Edition? Is that right?
    Yes. They're labeling the Pure Edition as the US Version (that is the one that will work on Verizon).
    TBolt and Aquila like this.
    08-03-2015 05:46 PM
    Their pc screen calibrator taking your own device to compare size is pretty neat. AC take note please.
    It would have saved me doing a cardboard cut-out of a Mega 6.3 before I bought a Note 3.

(I may have size issues )
    Aquila likes this.
    08-03-2015 06:00 PM
    Yes. They're labeling the Pure Edition as the US Version (that is the one that will work on Verizon).
    I may be sold then ... if we get confirmation that Moto is free to update it at will. Too good to be true?

Might still wait for the Christmas discount cuz my current X is excellent.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    08-03-2015 06:29 PM
    Why put the larger battery in the X Play when it's the lower spec'd phone with the smaller display and lower resolution?

SMH

Posted via Oneplus One.. For now.
    08-03-2015 07:17 PM
    Why put the larger battery in the X Play when it's the lower spec'd phone with the smaller display and lower resolution?

SMH

Posted via Oneplus One.. For now.
    They would have had to have made the Style bulkier to fit that battery in. The Play is slightly thicker than the Style overall as it doesn't have as pronounced a curve to its back; 6.1-11.06mm for Style, 8.9-10.9mm for Play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-03-2015 08:04 PM
    I think the industry as a whole are still unsure of what the sweet spot in the size of these phones should be. I normally carry my phone in my front pocket all day. Hopefully the new x will fit alright. I'm not a big fan of a belt clip. I can see someone that lays the phone on a desk all day, or puts it in a purse would have no trouble with a larger size. I farm, and like to keep mine protected in my pocket so its not getting caught on things.
    TBolt likes this.
    08-03-2015 08:39 PM
    I think the industry as a whole are still unsure of what the sweet spot in the size of these phones should be. I normally carry my phone in my front pocket all day. Hopefully the new x will fit alright. I'm not a big fan of a belt clip. I can see someone that lays the phone on a desk all day, or puts it in a purse would have no trouble with a larger size. I farm, and like to keep mine protected in my pocket so its not getting caught on things.
    I think they're pretty sure they want to make a flagship device in the 5 to 6 inch range.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-03-2015 11:16 PM
    The sweet spot is definitely in the 5-6 inch range, lower part of the range is "phone" territory (5.1-5.2 inches) while phablets reside in the upper part (5.7-6). The 5.5 inch ones are trying to be the best of both worlds.
    08-04-2015 08:32 AM
    the size killed the option to buy it.
    08-05-2015 11:56 AM
368 ... 7891011 ...