Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
size, screen and battery ... yup, those are definitely the top 3, and they really go hand in hand. personally a 1080p 5.5" display and 3600 mAh battery would've had me doing back flips ... the SD card, price, front facing speakers and pure/unlocked absolutely blew me away though.

for me, it's gonna come down to the Nexus. of either the rumored 5.2" or 5.7" version has a battery (say 3200 on the 5.2" and 3500 on the 5.7") that'll seal the deal. If it's got the same features, battery included, and has a USB-C and fingerprint scanner, I'll go with the Nexus too. If the battery is smaller (relative to display size, which isn't a perfect science, so I'll have to rely on real world usage testing and good ol gut instinct) I'll go with the Moto Style.

All things being equal, I'd go with the Nexus though. As much as I adore Motorola, and love the UX, the Nexus will be running M and I'll know I'm good on updates. Price won't be a factor, unless the Nexus is ridiculously overpriced, which I don't see. Not to sound snobby, and trust me, I don't have the cash to burn, but I need to replace my Nexus 4 and S4, and have been patiently waiting for something that really fits my needs. I intend on getting 30-36 months minimum out of my next two phones, so I'm not gonna let $100-$200 get in my way. I'll also be considering the Note 5, Edge+, One+ but realistically I'll probably just grab one in 2015 then wait until 2016 since it's a work phone for a seasonal business (that doesn't operate in the winter).

Posted via the Android Central App

You'll be good to go with USB-C and a fingerprint scanner on the Nexus phones, because Android M is said to have support for both, along with stylus support via bluetooth, if you go the phablet route.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

You'll be good to go with USB-C and a fingerprint scanner on the Nexus phones, because Android M is said to have support for both, along with stylus support via bluetooth, if you go the phablet route.

yeah I think it's a safe bet to pencil in USB-C and fingerprint scanner on the Nexus.

I have to admit, I was kind blindsided by the 3000 mAh. I would've been somewhat content with the rumored 3280, and was really excited when I saw the 3620 on the Play version.

I think the larger Nexus will solve our issues, at least I hope so, and come with 3500+ ... that would be a buy, no questions asked. I have my doubts with the LG version though. Everything I've seen or read has said 2700.

Fortunately for me, my wish list has shrunk, and now I simply want stock/near stock and battery. Everything else I can live without (front facing speakers is high on the list .... lots if media/gaming).

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
yeah I think it's a safe bet to pencil in USB-C and fingerprint scanner on the Nexus.

I have to admit, I was kind blindsided by the 3000 mAh. I would've been somewhat content with the rumored 3280, and was really excited when I saw the 3620 on the Play version.

I think the larger Nexus will solve our issues, at least I hope so, and come with 3500+ ... that would be a buy, no questions asked. I have my doubts with the LG version though. Everything I've seen or read has said 2700.

Fortunately for me, my wish list has shrunk, and now I simply want stock/near stock and battery. Everything else I can live without (front facing speakers is high on the list .... lots if media/gaming).

I agree. I have owned a Huawei MyTouch in the past. Granted, it's not a smartphone of today's standards, but in terms of the speaker output, it was a single HiFi speaker that was quite loud. I was actually impressed. I didn't worry about ever missing a notification or a call, and it was fine for listening to music. Although dual front stereo would be ideal, I would be ok with a good quality Hi Fi. I would hope Google allows Huawei to use a FHD screen on the phablet since Huawei is smart enough to know that QHD is unnecessary and adversely affects battery, which ideally would be 3,600-4,000 mAh.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

I'm a big fan of Moto but I sometimes scratch my head about some of their decisions. Why does the Moto X Play with a 5.5" non QHD screen have a 3630 mAh battery while the Moto X Style has a 5.7" QHD screen with a 3000 mAh battery?
I guess because the Play is supposed to be an ultra long life device, while the Style is allowed to simply fit in with the status quo for smartphones. Moto knows that we complain about battery life, but we'll buy them anyway. Hehe.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Now I have to wait!

I wasn't looking to leave my s6 this year, but the Style has me interested. I like the fact it's available in 55 countries too, I remember the extreme lengths I went to for the 2013 model in the UK.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I liked nearly everything about the style. Great hardware and awesome software. A great deal at $399.

However, I think it's a touch too big and 3000mAh + 1440p won't net you great battery life. Still, pretty damn good phone for $399.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

If I could have changed anything it would be :
1.) Amoled Screen
2.) A tad bit smaller
3.) Wireless Charging
4.) Same size battery is in the Play

No real deal breakers but just my preference :)

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Bloat can be frozen now so that's an old saw. The hero device from this will be the love child of the style and play, the Verizon exclusive droid I expect.

Bloat can be frozen, but any carrier specific models means slower updates. I think the fact that Motorola is in direct control with one device for the whole U.S. market will be a game changer in terms of when this phone gets future updates compared to other Android phones.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I think its sounds like a nice phone to own.
It wouldn't bother me if it was a tab bit smaller.
Will I get rid of my Moto X 2014 , short answer no.
Will I purchase the Moto X 2015 ?
Maybe :)

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Definitely true about the updates. Although lollipop has not been Google's finest hour in any event.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Bloat can be frozen, but any carrier specific models means slower updates. I think the fact that Motorola is in direct control with one device for the whole U.S. market will be a game changer in terms of when this phone gets future updates compared to other Android phones.

Bloat can't always be frozen, Samsung in particular is big about making sure some of their bloat never goes away. And a lot of manufacturers are being tricky with their updaters now, if you disable their apps, their updaters simply reinstall and re-enable them automatically.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

If I have to put it in words, it has the hardware of the LG G4, the software of stock Android and design resembling the Nexus 6, along with a better camera.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

It seems Motorola's market research was not much in alignment with that of the people that in this thread. I guess we have to remember (and I know it has been stated before) we are the "minority", the targeted buyers (the "majority") are concerned with non-technical aspects of the phone, ie, how it looks, how much it costs and how it is marketed to be better than their friends' iPhones. They are not aware of processor differences, battery sizes, screen technologies, but they will be aware that their new X is bigger than "better" than Joe's iPhone 6. At 400$ starting, all in all its a great phone, many people will be happy with it. Home run.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It seems Motorola's market research was not much in alignment with that of the people that in this thread. I guess we have to remember (and I know it has been stated before) we are the "minority", the targeted buyers (the "majority") are concerned with non-technical aspects of the phone, ie, how it looks, how much it costs and how it is marketed to be better than their friends' iPhones. They are not aware of processor differences, battery sizes, screen technologies, but they will be aware that their new X is bigger than "better" than Joe's iPhone 6. At 400$ starting, all in all its a great phone, many people will be happy with it. Home run.
Yes, they were pretty clear in their presentation that this device solves the problems that most people have with Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site

Did they release any details about the 21 mp camera. The Motorola Droid Turbo (2014) also has a 21 mp and it has taken some criticism on low light and blurred action shots. Wondering if the shooter in the new X is an improved version of that camera.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm a big fan of Moto but I sometimes scratch my head about some of their decisions. Why does the Moto X Play with a 5.5" non QHD screen have a 3630 mAh battery while the Moto X Style has a 5.7" QHD screen with a 3000 mAh battery?
Probably to maintain their $400 base price target and to avoid size/weight matching the nexus 6.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I would rather see them design a $400 version of the Play for the flagship moto x.

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Hits: Price!
Motomaker customization
Pure edition on Verizon - no more bloatware!

Misses: No OIS for camera
Size - wish they had stopped at 5.5. Moto X has increase 0.5 inch every year. Can we expect 6.2 in 2016?

To be determined: Battery - is 3000 mah enough for this big screen?
Camera - is it as good as Dxo and Dpreview say?
Screen - How does TFT LCD compare to AMOLED?

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

I would rather see them design a $400 version of the Play for the flagship moto x.

This ^^^^

The Pure's sunlight-friendly screen and stereo speakers are tempting, but that size... I dunno, the 2014 is already rather awkward in my small-ish hands. I actually still have a few days to return my 2014 (bought it in one of the recent sales), but I'm not sure it's worth replacing it with something that awkward (for me) to use.

Maybe they'll later release similar Verizon Droids which will are smaller. I'm really starting to miss my RAZR Maxx HD :)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

All the talk about the battery got me to thinking. People are saying that the screen size/resolution + battery size will result in average battery life at best. Let's assume this is correct; if we assume that, however, we also have to assume Moto is very well aware of it as well. The question then becomes why? Why would Moto saddle their flagship with "average" battery life?

The only answer I can come up with is they determined the alternatives all had far worse trade-offs. A bigger battery would have made the phone heavier, and maybe their research showed that Joe Average Consumer would pick up the phone once, mutter "ugh, this thing is a brick," immediately put it down, and move on. Maybe a lesser screen would have done the same, especially side-by-side with the newest phone from Samsung or LG. Maybe they had production or quality control issues with a larger battery. Maybe they determined that most people only need around three hours of screen-on time, and decided the turbo charger would be a suitable bandage for those who need more.

I don't know. I'm just speculating. All I'm saying is this obviously was not a decision they took lightly, and we don't know what all went into that decision. Time will tell whether or not it was a good one, and for some of us it won't matter. Some people need/demand high SOT, and that's fine. This may not be the phone for them. But maybe it will surprise us. Personally I'm not thrilled about the size and the screen type, but I'm withholding judgment until review time. Perhaps in the end it won't matter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01