Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I really think the battery issue is more of a "most people are close enough to an outlet for a quick charge" thing.

I like coming home from a long shift and still have 50 percent battery left, because some nights im super busy on the phone and i come home with closer to 30, and on nights like those im not close to an outlet.

Ive been spoiled on bigger batteries since the original razr maxx came out, i couldnt imagine having to charge my phone as much during the day as some do.

Ive upgraded every year the last few years because of being able to either use edge or verizon offered me an early upgrade. I liked that i didnt have to fork out the full price all at once.

And as far as the edge program, i know some see it as a rip off, but when im paying 40 dollars for my additional lines, and i edge up one of them, that 40 dollars drops to 20, so for instance my note 4 i had only raised my bill 7 dollars a month because my 40 had dropped to 20, and i was paying 27 a month for the phone. So how am i getting screwed?

I realize different people on these forums have different needs and budgets, it doesnt make one better than the other, what it does does is give us the consumer choices, which works for us as well as higher sales for the company.

I wish marketing for these phone companies would read forums like AC, to get a true idea of what consumers want. We are a pretty diverse group of people on here. The problem is whoever is in charge has steve jobs syndrome thinking they know what the people want more than the people do, because apple is such a success originally using that philosophy.

Rant over lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Some math....

Verizon 10gb shared with contract is $6,720+tax for 2 years.
Cricket would be $2,400 for 2 years... $4,320 difference or a budget of $864+ each phone to break even.

Now this isn't the case everywhere obviously....not everyone needs 5 phones. But it all comes down to being educated and running the numbers.

Not every contract or Edge program is a "rip off" but most consumers walk in without any knowledge of what something should cost and just get swayed with a fancy promotion or a dumb salesperson.

If you're content paying what you're paying then by all means it's a great deal for you.

It does grind my gears though when I see ppl pointed to a plan or a phone by a salesperson instead of that consumer being knowledgeable enough to know exactly what they want.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

- No Amoled Screen - How will this effect Moto Display battery Drain?

- No Wireless Charging - Can Live without it, but in almost 2016, it would have been nice

- No USB C - No reason for this Omission

- Battery Still Small = Should be the size of the Moto x Play - Screen Size, Type, RAM and Processor "Upgrades" Will presumably all Drain more than this years version. So the small size upgrade may be a wash. Just as last years basically identical battery size, ended up with less Usage for most users than the 2013 model.

- No OIS Camera - So unless you take Closeups in full light ( The ONLY thing phone Cameras are good at) - The cam will always be, that much more sub-par

As to the Camera Claims - Name One smartphone Released by any OEM for the last 6+ years, that doesn't make Claims of hows It's the Best Camera, It's been Improved and enhanced with (Insert new name for Old Technolgy) etc.
Wouldn't it be refreshing to have just One OEM claim "The Camera ( Lens, Sensor, Software) is what it is. Nothing more, Nothing Less. Any selfie absorbed teen Girl will be perfectly happy with it etc... But we Saved ( x ) $ Doing so!

And the Real Deal Breaker will Be if or Not the Pure Edition will Fully work on Verizon, Have ZERO Verizon apps, Be Totally independent of Verizon for upgrades, Bug fixes etc and MOST IMPORTANTLY - Be able to Use Data and Voice Simultaneously - As it stands now, 10 moths after release the 2014 Verizon version, still cant and is a glorified paper weight because of this Mandatory feature still not being FIXED. Verizon blames Moto - Moto blames Verizon and both will blame google if you talk to enough people

I've had neither, but wouldn't quick charge cancel out wireless charging? If you had both, why wouldn't you always use quick charge?

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

Not interested at all. I am seriously considering to say good bye to moto x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
We should remember that despite the 5.7-inch screen, the Moto X is 4.2 mm shorter and 1.6 mm narrower than the iPhone 6 Plus with the 5.5 inch display. Add in the classic Moto curve and the phone will probably handle better than the screen size indicates.

I'll be jumping to something from my Nexus 5, and unless the next Nexus has a great camera, it looks like the Moto X has my money so far.

I did not know it was that much smaller than the iPhone 6+. Great info. I had the 6+ for a while and I felt it was not balanced properly and was too top heavy. I sold it and got the iPhone 6 instead. I actually love the 4.7" on the iPhone and the 5.1 on my S6 edge.
Thanks for sharing that.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
USB C won't really be properly supported until November. Moto is releasing it in September. Unless they deviate from stock, they're releasing a lollipop device rather than a marshmallow device.

Also, wasn't my 2014 x a 2300 mAh battery? 3000 is a great jump UP to more than the s6 and on par with the G4, which according to most, is a battery champ. It's not a note 4, but then neither is a note 4.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

It's not awful, but it's definitely not a battery champ, considering it's powering a 5.7" 1440p display.

The Turbo or even the new play is what I wanted to see or of the Moto X Pure. Also, the G4 is decent from what I've heard, and the replaceable battery is a huge plus, but it doesn't get much more SOT than the S6.

To be fair, other than messing around with my friends S6 and using the G4 at Best Buy for about 40 minutes, I don't own either phone, so I'm just going by what I've read from reviews/forums.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad this thing will have an LCD. After using mostly LCDs for years, I owned a Galaxy S6 for 2 months and now own a Nexus 6. I will not be buying another phone with an AMOLED screen any time soon. So many people are bamboozled by their super poppy (read inaccurate) colors, but somehow are completely blind to the fact that they absolutely suck at displaying white and light grays. They all have poor uniformity and often have green or pint tints on some portion of the screen. Bleh, they just aren't good at anything except displaying complete black, which is to say, they're only good when they're off lol.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

He isn't exactly wrong. I do the same thing as you, although atm I'm on family plan T-Mo....but the majority of Americans do not do this.

he's wrong and so are you. uninformed and impatient might be better words, but to use the word "stupid" when referring to something as meaningless as a phone, is completely out of line. my Dad us the smartest person I know, despite the fact that he probably doesn't even know how to transfer songs to his iPod (he's 75), he's an ivy league graduate who is brilliant in finance and had a long, successful career. When he needs a phone, he knows of one option, walk into Verizon, see something he likes, then asks the kids behind the counter where to sign and how much. But you're right, he and is other 300 million Americans are all stupid.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Some math....

Verizon 10gb shared with contract is $6,720+tax for 2 years.
Cricket would be $2,400 for 2 years... $4,320 difference or a budget of $864+ each phone to break even.

What. That's the cheapest you can get? You can get 4GB 4G data SIM-only monthly rolling contract for £15 in UK. 15*24=360. £360 = ~$561.73 for two years (as of the date of this post). This isn't the cheapest contract available, just an example.

Are SIM-only phone contracts really that much more expensive in the USA? That would explain why Americans love their two year contracts so much. And before you all get jealous, just take into account that the actual phones themselves usually cost 40-50% more in the UK than the US unlocked! We're all getting ripped off in different ways.

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Yeah to buy SIM Free phone cost more expensive than in US. But if you go with contract, than you can catch nice deals like £39.99 - 6Gb Data, Unlimited Calls and Messages. And no upfront cost for device. Sometimes this is really sad to look, wtf why everything is cheaper in US.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What. That's the cheapest you can get? You can get 4GB 4G data SIM-only monthly rolling contract for £15 in UK. 15*24=360. £360 = ~$561.73 for two years (as of the date of this post). This isn't the cheapest contract available, just an example.

Are SIM-only phone contracts really that much more expensive in the USA? That would explain why Americans love their two year contracts so much. And before you all get jealous, just take into account that the actual phones themselves usually cost 40-50% more in the UK than the US unlocked! We're all getting ripped off in different ways.

I wouldn't say "Americans love their two year contacts." Most people in the US simply aren't aware that there's an option. And if/when they do find out they can save $15 a month and be contact free with no bloat if they simply purchase it outright, that idea is so foreign to most, and adapted by so few, that they don't go ahead and do it.

Also, they'll walk into their carriers store, expecting to shell out $100-$200 or whatever, and leave with a phone that day. So they're not prepared to drop $600 and they just want it now.

Most people, at least that I know, stick with the same carrier, so having the flexibility to switch just isn't that important. They've never seen a phone with no bloat, they don't know what unlocked means, nor do they care, and the fact Verizon's tramp stamp litters their phone, for completely unnoticed.

It's just the way it is and people simply don't know there's a different way, not when these companies are spending millions to make sure things stay just the way they are.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
he's wrong and so are you. uninformed and impatient might be better words, but to use the word "stupid" when referring to something as meaningless as a phone, is completely out of line. my Dad us the smartest person I know, despite the fact that he probably doesn't even know how to transfer songs to his iPod (he's 75), he's an ivy league graduate who is brilliant in finance and had a long, successful career. When he needs a phone, he knows of one option, walk into Verizon, see something he likes, then asks the kids behind the counter where to sign and how much. But you're right, he and is other 300 million Americans are all stupid.

Yeah...I'm confused. Am I right or am I wrong?

I didn't really call anyone stupid and I was agreeing with his point in regards to how Americans purchase phones.

Nobody knows everything. You can be stupid and smart at the same time. :)

Stupid also refers to lacking common sense and I'd think if you're going to sign on a dotted line and sign a commitment for 2 years of your life...You're going to educate yourself on what your options are. Either way....Uninformed is a good word and I'm sure a slew of others to describe some situations. But as an American, I'm not insulted if someone calls them stupid in this circumstance.

As for your Dad, he's 75 and has money to spend...he's buying phones and service the right way for his situation imo.

Yeah Cricket is about as cheap as it gets for 5 lines.

Phone service just isn't like it is in other parts of the world. We get the advantage of having cheaper options on phones though. Most of the time you can't take your phone to any company you want and choose a nice cheap plan.(Which is what makes this phone so attractive to me) But we do have more options now than we've had in the past and that's a good thing.

Last edited:

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I would rather see them design a $400 version of the Play for the flagship moto x.

They will. It will be called the Droid Maxx II (or some such variation). It will have some nice upgrades over the Play version, but it will also be a Verizon exclusive that costs twice as much.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

They will. It will be called the Droid Maxx II (or some such variation). It will have some nice upgrades over the Play version, but it will also be a Verizon exclusive that costs twice as much.

Well now I'm wondering though... I think I read that the Moto X will only(?) be sold unlocked from Motorola, Amazon and Best Buy. Does that mean no more Motorola Droids for Verizon?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Well now I'm wondering though... I think I read that the Moto X will only(?) be sold unlocked from Motorola, Amazon and Best Buy. Does that mean no more Motorola Droids for Verizon?

No. The motorola/Verizon contract is alive and well. You'll see the new Droid(s) sometime before October.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not awful, but it's definitely not a battery champ, considering it's powering a 5.7" 1440p display.

The Turbo or even the new play is what I wanted to see or of the Moto X Pure. Also, the G4 is decent from what I've heard, and the replaceable battery is a huge plus, but it doesn't get much more SOT than the S6.

To be fair, other than messing around with my friends S6 and using the G4 at Best Buy for about 40 minutes, I don't own either phone, so I'm just going by what I've read from reviews/forums.

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on real world battery when this gets in people's hands. As far as I'm concerned, simple physics dictates that a QHD display + large screen + apparent drain issues with lollipop = too much power draw for a small battery, as has been evident with the much too small 2550 mAh battery in the S6. I'll be waiting to see how the X compares to that with 3000 mAh. Especially the Pure Edition. I'm hoping to see what battery life results we will get when certain carrier features (ie. wifi calling) which are possible suspects for battery drain are removed from the equation.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad this thing will have an LCD. After using mostly LCDs for years, I owned a Galaxy S6 for 2 months and now own a Nexus 6. I will not be buying another phone with an AMOLED screen any time soon. So many people are bamboozled by their super poppy (read inaccurate) colors, but somehow are completely blind to the fact that they absolutely suck at displaying white and light grays. They all have poor uniformity and often have green or pint tints on some portion of the screen. Bleh, they just aren't good at anything except displaying complete black, which is to say, they're only good when they're off lol.

Good at displaying complete black is exactly what you want for Active Display though, lighting up only those parts of the screen you need. Also, AMOLED is superior for viewing through polarized sunglasses, a big consideration for some.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Like others, I'm concerned about the size. I could probably get used to a larger screen size, but I don't know that my pocket can!

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Good at displaying complete black is exactly what you want for Active Display though, lighting up only those parts of the screen you need. Also, AMOLED is superior for viewing through polarized sunglasses, a big consideration for some.

The glimpses we've seen from the limited hands-on videos that show the Moto Display seem identical to my experience with the previous two generations. So I am optimistic. Besides, it was arguably a disruptive and extremely innovative feature that sets Moto apart. I highly doubt they would do something to screw that up with the Style/Pure Edition.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...I'm confused. Am I right or am I wrong?

I didn't really call anyone stupid and I was agreeing with his point in regards to how Americans purchase phones.

Nobody knows everything. You can be stupid and smart at the same time. :)

Stupid also refers to lacking common sense and I'd think if you're going to sign on a dotted line and sign a commitment for 2 years of your life...You're going to educate yourself on what your options are. Either way....Uninformed is a good word and I'm sure a slew of others to describe some situations. But as an American, I'm not insulted if someone calls them stupid in this circumstance.

As for your Dad, he's 75 and has money to spend...he's buying phones and service the right way for his situation imo.

Yeah Cricket is about as cheap as it gets for 5 lines.

Phone service just isn't like it is in other parts of the world. We get the advantage of having cheaper options on phones though. Most of the time you can't take your phone to any company you want and choose a nice cheap plan.(Which is what makes this phone so attractive to me) But we do have more options now than we've had in the past and that's a good thing.

that's a fair assessment ... I can get on board with that!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon